Author Topic: My Head Hurts.... Questions...  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
My Head Hurts.... Questions...
« on: June 28, 2021, 10:24:57 PM »
A, FK, A-35. With Team B leading 28-21 and 0:38 remaining in the fourth quarter. Kicker A9 is standing at the A-28 and all other players are between the A-30/A-35 when the referee makes the ball ready for play. A9 runs forward and fakes kicking the ball to the right side and then A80 kicks an onside kick to the left side. The ball is recovered by A88 at the A-44.

and....

A, 4/10, A-4. A9's punt comes down and hits A24 in the back at the B-18 (no KCI). B20 picks up the loose ball at the B-15 and carries it to the B-30 where he is hit and fumbles. A34 picks up the loose ball and returns it for a touchdown. While the ball was loose following B20's fumble, B45 holds A56 at the B-30 which prevents him from getting to the loose ball.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: My Head Hurts.... Questions...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2021, 11:47:40 PM »
Foul for a non-kicker being beyond the five-yard restraining line. 5 yards from the previous spot, rekick.

The ball belongs to team B as per A.R. 6-3-2-IV. Team A will decline the penalty, Team B 1/10@B-18. If the spot of the illegal touching would be at eg. B-22, team A would accept the penalty which would be enforced from the end of the related run.

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 09:30:10 AM »
In the first scenario, the ball belongs to Team B at the end of the down since Team A are not in legal possession (6-1-6-a), so the penalty can also be tacked on.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 10:31:52 AM by peterparsons »

Offline Zap

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 09:42:16 AM »
In the first scenario, the ball belongs to Team B at the end of the down since Team A are not in legal possession (6-3-6-a), so the penalty can also be tacked on.

I don't think that is correct. It can be re-kicked with the foul or Team B can accept the ball at the spot of illegal touching. AR 6-1-3-I states that an "Illegal Recovery" is Illegal Touching. If you accept the penalty the illegal touching spot goes away. So they only place to enforce is the previous spot.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 10:50:10 AM »
Look at 6-1-6 and 6-1-8. If a free kick is caught or recovered by the kicking team, the ball is dead and belongs to the receiving team unless the kicking team is in legal possession. Because this kick had not gone 10 yards or been touched by the receiving team, Team A is not in legal possession. Therefore, by 6-1-6, the ball belongs to Team B at the A-44 by rule. Since the dead ball belongs to Team B and there is a foul by Team A, it can be enforced from the dead ball spot. It will be Team B’s ball at the A-39.

This is not enforcing from the illegal touching spot, it is enforcing from the dead ball spot. They just happen to be the same in this particular play.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
Look at 6-1-6 and 6-1-8. If a free kick is caught or recovered by the kicking team, the ball is dead and belongs to the receiving team unless the kicking team is in legal possession. Because this kick had not gone 10 yards or been touched by the receiving team, Team A is not in legal possession. Therefore, by 6-1-6, the ball belongs to Team B at the A-44 by rule. Since the dead ball belongs to Team B and there is a foul by Team A, it can be enforced from the dead ball spot. It will be Team B’s ball at the A-39.

This is not enforcing from the illegal touching spot, it is enforcing from the dead ball spot. They just happen to be the same in this particular play.

What he said.  :thumbup

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 11:39:37 AM »
A, FK, A-35. With Team B leading 28-21 and 0:38 remaining in the fourth quarter. Kicker A9 is standing at the A-28 and all other players are between the A-30/A-35 when the referee makes the ball ready for play. A9 runs forward and fakes kicking the ball to the right side and then A80 kicks an onside kick to the left side. The ball is recovered by A88 at the A-44.

and....

A, 4/10, A-4. A9's punt comes down and hits A24 in the back at the B-18 (no KCI). B20 picks up the loose ball at the B-15 and carries it to the B-30 where he is hit and fumbles. A34 picks up the loose ball and returns it for a touchdown. While the ball was loose following B20's fumble, B45 holds A56 at the B-30 which prevents him from getting to the loose ball.

That's a hell of a punt...     8]