Author Topic: Conference Applications  (Read 5114 times)

Offline heyblue34

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Conference Applications
« on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:01 AM »
Does anyone have information on how to apply to the five major conferences (ACC, BIG10, BIG12, PAC12, SEC) ?

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Conference Applications
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 12:40:00 PM »
Does anyone have information on how to apply to the five major conferences (ACC, BIG10, BIG12, PAC12, SEC) ?

If you contact the conference office, they will tell you the process for that conference. But, in reality, an unsolicited application rarely gets given any attention. Ya gotta go to camps and make an impression on somebody.  Wasn't like that in the 90's, but that's the way it is today.

Robert

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
Is there any P5 that does not have a feeder system for taking G5 officials, and the G5 officials come from FCS?

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »
How do the officials come into FCS? Are there feeder conferences at the D2 level, or could anyone from any D2 conference apply to any FCS conference? I'm asking because I live in the Mid-Atlantic, but would be interested in working in the SEC.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 08:49:50 PM »
Is there any P5 that does not have a feeder system for taking G5 officials, and the G5 officials come from FCS?

Pac 12 and CUSA are stand-alone.  I do believe Pac 12 does some work with Big Sky (FCS).

But the other consortiums are:

Big 10 - MAC - Missouri Valley
ACC - American - Colonial/Ivy/Patriot
Big 12 - Mountain West - Southland
SEC - Sun Belt - (unsure of FCS, if any)

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:52:03 PM »
How do the officials come into FCS? Are there feeder conferences at the D2 level, or could anyone from any D2 conference apply to any FCS conference? I'm asking because I live in the Mid-Atlantic, but would be interested in working in the SEC.

FCS kind of do their own thing unless they're part of a consortium, so you'd probably just have to shoot a resume or get in touch with the supervisor.  The NEC gets fed from the PSAC (D2) and NJAC/MAC (D3) since they're all managed by Milt Halstead, and he promotes only from within.  That's the only one I know of where there's a direct feeder system into FCS from D2/D3.

Offline Bigfrizz81

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 09:58:04 AM »
In my area in the northeast you start out in either the MASCAC, CCC, NESCAC, ECFC, or NEWMAC (DIII) and if you do well and are in the right consortium can move to the NE-10 (D2), and from there to the CAA, Patriot, or Ivy (FCS), and if you are in the correct consortium the AAC and potentially the ACC. Kinda stinks that there is only one D2 conference in my area so there is not a lot of opportunity every year to move up without going to clinics to be seen and network.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
SEC - Sun Belt - (unsure of FCS, if any)

I'm hearing SoCon "might" be in the works for SEC.  Also hearing some rumblings that the Big South may dissolve and combine with A-SUN.

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
On the Rule11 podcast, the Big Sky assignor commented that he can't hire until a spot opens up.  He has 60+ active applications for maybe two spots.

That is for FCS, mind you an elite FCS conference.  Imagine the process for G5 & P5.

That the process of spending time at JCO/JV to get D3/D2, then working time there and becoming known with reputation and post season assignments can be skipped to "move up" to any level of D1 does not compute with me.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2020, 03:44:05 PM »
On the Rule11 podcast, the Big Sky assignor commented that he can't hire until a spot opens up.  He has 60+ active applications for maybe two spots.

That is for FCS, mind you an elite FCS conference.  Imagine the process for G5 & P5.

That the process of spending time at JCO/JV to get D3/D2, then working time there and becoming known with reputation and post season assignments can be skipped to "move up" to any level of D1 does not compute with me.

Our D3 conference probably has 30+ applications per year and 15-20 active applicants working JV games and scrimmages and attending meetings and clinics. We probably average 2-5 openings per year so you have to be patient. One year we had 14 openings which was about 1/3 of our staff! Fortunately we had a solid group of applicants in the mix, many who are now working D2 and D1.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 07:41:13 AM »
If you contact the conference office, they will tell you the process for that conference. But, in reality, an unsolicited application rarely gets given any attention. Ya gotta go to camps and make an impression on somebody.  Wasn't like that in the 90's, but that's the way it is today.

Robert

I have to say this is one of the big reasons why I'm probably not going to move up beyond high school. If you have to ask how to apply, you're not going to get the job. It's all about a head nod, a wink and a gentleman's agreement at the bar ... assuming you know which bar to go to.

Offline Sonofanump

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 09:27:32 AM »
I have to say this is one of the big reasons why I'm probably not going to move up beyond high school. If you have to ask how to apply, you're not going to get the job. It's all about a head nod, a wink and a gentleman's agreement at the bar ... assuming you know which bar to go to.

Our area is much different.  The process from going from HS to D3/D2 is; we work NCAA JV games, attend local NCAA rules study meetings, attend NCAA clinics.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 04:27:28 PM »

It's all about a head nod, a wink and a gentleman's agreement at the bar ... assuming you know which bar to go to.

No, it’s not really that way, at all.  You must get somebody’s attention, in terms of being able to officiate.  They have to see you.  That is, and has always been true.  Before all the clinics came about, you had to show your local D1-A (now FBS) guys that you had what it takes to work at that level.  Rules knowledge. Mechanics. Judgment.  If you could get those guys to invite you to - usually local - FBS spring scrimmages, you stood a chance of being noticed by the coordinator for that conference.  If he liked what he saw, you might get a shot.  That usually took a lot of persistence and patience.  By a lot, I mean years upon years for some folks.

There is still persistence and patience involved today, but a guy that “can work” has more opportunities to get noticed by attending these big clinics.  Yep, very expensive process, these days.  But, a guy with skill can move up much more quickly in this system, if he is willing to make the commitment.  The commitment is way more than just the desire, or even the skill.  You have to be able to get away from your ‘real’ job a lot for scrimmages, spring clinics, summer clinics, etc. You need to join study groups, and spend a lot of time reviewing video. And that is BEFORE you get hired. Double that after you get hired.  You have to have a family that supports you, and are willing to let you go on occasional birthdays, anniversaries, recitals, little league games, band concerts, etc.  You have figure how to make up for those absences.

It takes significant effort to make those things align.  But, if you can get all those things to align, it is a fun and rewarding enterprise; spiritually, psychologically, and financially.  But be prepared for a lot of sacrifice.
Robert

Offline Magician

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 04:37:25 PM »
No, it’s not really that way, at all.  You must get somebody’s attention, in terms of being able to officiate.  They have to see you.  That is, and has always been true.  Before all the clinics came about, you had to show your local D1-A (now FBS) guys that you had what it takes to work at that level.  Rules knowledge. Mechanics. Judgment.  If you could get those guys to invite you to - usually local - FBS spring scrimmages, you stood a chance of being noticed by the coordinator for that conference.  If he liked what he saw, you might get a shot.  That usually took a lot of persistence and patience.  By a lot, I mean years upon years for some folks.

There is still persistence and patience involved today, but a guy that “can work” has more opportunities to get noticed by attending these big clinics.  Yep, very expensive process, these days.  But, a guy with skill can move up much more quickly in this system, if he is willing to make the commitment.  The commitment is way more than just the desire, or even the skill.  You have to be able to get away from your ‘real’ job a lot for scrimmages, spring clinics, summer clinics, etc. You need to join study groups, and spend a lot of time reviewing video. And that is BEFORE you get hired. Double that after you get hired.  You have to have a family that supports you, and are willing to let you go on occasional birthdays, anniversaries, recitals, little league games, band concerts, etc.  You have figure how to make up for those absences.

It takes significant effort to make those things align.  But, if you can get all those things to align, it is a fun and rewarding enterprise; spiritually, psychologically, and financially.  But be prepared for a lot of sacrifice.
Robert

I agree with everything you said. But that alone will never guarantee you get hired by any conference. And there are groups of people who often given opportunities faster than others, but they are usually still doing all the things you mention. Supervisors aren't going to hire and assign people they know aren't qualified because their jobs are on the line as well. The people I know who have received a faster path than others don't take it for granted and worked extra hard to make sure the person who gave them the opportunity didn't make a mistake.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »
I agree with everything you said. But that alone will never guarantee you get hired by any conference. And there are groups of people who often given opportunities faster than others, but they are usually still doing all the things you mention. Supervisors aren't going to hire and assign people they know aren't qualified because their jobs are on the line as well. The people I know who have received a faster path than others don't take it for granted and worked extra hard to make sure the person who gave them the opportunity didn't make a mistake.

:thumbup

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 09:07:24 PM »
In addition to all of the things mentioned, you have to have "the look" now.  Tall, lean, athletic, youthful.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 09:31:45 PM »
Big biceps,if you Referee in XII  yEs:
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2020, 10:23:48 PM »
Good one! That's why I go to the gym as often as possible. I may be a JUCO official now, but I might be the next Ed Hochuli or Mike Defee in a few years if I keep it up ;).

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 11:24:13 AM »
Good one! That's why I go to the gym as often as possible. I may be a JUCO official now, but I might be the next Ed Hochuli or Mike Defee in a few years if I keep it up ;).

Those are big shoes (and shirts) to fill!

Offline Magician

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 04:43:00 PM »
In addition to all of the things mentioned, you have to have "the look" now.  Tall, lean, athletic, youthful.

I don't think tall matters much. I know a lot of short, lean, athletic and youthful officials who are moving up the ranks well.