Author Topic: 2010 Review: Equipment  (Read 5014 times)

RickKY

2010 Review: Equipment
« on: January 11, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
During the 2010 season I notice two things about equipment worn, or not worn, durings games. 

1.  I saw many players lose helmets during play all season long.  Will the NCAA enforce helmet chin strap snapping in the future?

2.  Will the NCAA either change the rule requiring knee pads and pants long enough to cover the knee?  Or will they eliminate that rule?  Or will they simply ignore it for yet another year?

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: 2010 Review: Equipment
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 01:24:49 PM »
I think the reason they slacked off on the knee pads was there wasn't any evidence of any injuries that were directly related to the knees not being covered.  Most injuries are due to ligaments being torn and those will happen with or without a knee pad.

As for the helmets.  At our high school games they have all the snaps buttoned and they are still coming off.  Apparently they are not getting them fitted properly.  Back when I played those helmets were tight and wouldn't move.  Now they just slide right on.

Offline Reverend30

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • NVFOA/EAIFO (Mass.)
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
As for the helmets.  At our high school games they have all the snaps buttoned and they are still coming off.  Apparently they are not getting them fitted properly.  Back when I played those helmets were tight and wouldn't move.  Now they just slide right on.

Agreed - kids take them on and off like baseball caps now.  I think that tightening restrictions on helmet fit are part of the way to address the concussion issue (a properly fit helmet reduces the likelihood of sustaining a concussion), but I'm not sure how we as officials would be able to enforce that.

TheStrippedOne

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:31 PM »
So when did they change the meaning of MANDATORY as 1-4-4-a makes it clear that knee pads are MANDATORY!!

Dommer1

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »
Knee pads are mandatory, but they don't have to cover the knees. Go figure. At least it means less hassle for us.

Grant - AR

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »
Knee pads are mandatory, but they don't have to cover the knees. Go figure. At least it means less hassle for us.

I always thought the old AF2 rule on knee pads was odd (the way it was explained to me anyway).  A player didn't have to wear knee pads, but if he did, they had to actually cover the knees.  Are we moving towards that in NCAA?

DD

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »
Enforcement will vary from conference to conference. Do what your supervisor tell you to do.

Offline drilsgt_98

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Enforcement will vary from conference to conference. Do what your supervisor tell you to do.

It shouldn't vary. We all have to deal with the "trickle down" effect. What people see on Sunday they expect to see on Saturday, I feel that's why we are where we are regarding knee pads. The players should wear them, or not, I really don't care but everyone in every conference should enforce the rule the same.
I enforce the law! I make split second decisions based on the books. They may not always agree but that's why I wear my own color. At the end of the day, i've made no friends, and plenty of enemies. Why do I do it? Because I know what's right and wrong. And i've seen every precedent. So while they may argue, I am always in the right.   Cliff Keen website