Author Topic: Interesting quote from one of our coaches...  (Read 5095 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Interesting quote from one of our coaches...
« on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
After winning their third straight title yesterday.  Presented without comment, other than to say that we're the Central Region officials that he mentions.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
Re: Interesting quote from one of our coaches...
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
I'm wondering how they were penalized 99 yards on 6 penalties, an average of 16.5 yards per penalty.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
How do you get 99 yards in only 6 penalties ?!?!?!?!   Is DPI a spot foul there?  As a student of the Jethro Bodine school of cyphering, would say 6 time 15 is 90.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
The deeper in the playoffs one goes- the officiating AND the play should get better.  To go from a 124 yard average to a 99 yard game is not that big a deal-that's basically one less hold and one less PF or PI.  In a state final, there is probably the greatest impact for a crew NOT to be a deciding factor in the game- to let the players settle it on the field insofar as possible.

I've heard coaches gripe both ways- they tend to think the officiating out of area is better, until they get a neutral crew who makes some calls that go against them and then they want to come "running back home to Momma".

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:56:02 AM »
For you math majors..... 6 X 15 = 90 :!# :!# ....... possible solutions : statistician counted succeeding spot fouls including the yards gained on play ..... or (more likely)  sNiCkErS umpire  sNiCkErS had OD'ed on  sNiCkErS and took longer,high stepping strides that day  :).

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »
With all due respect to AB, high school statisticians are suspect (at best) when tallying penalty yardage. I can't remember a single game this year where the box score agreed with our crew records.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »
My personal opinion is that he should have Piedmont send officials down every week and pay their travel.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »
My personal opinion is that coaches shouldn't have that input. Scratches? I'm fine with avoiding trouble. But hand picking their crews? How often do opposing coaches agree?

Then again, we all know things are done differently in Texas and those of us in the other 49 just sit and wonder...  :sTiR:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
Why would anone care AT ALL, what a coach, whose team AVERAGES 124 yards in penalties pergame, thinks about rules or officials.  Those statistics suggest he hasn't the foggiest idea of what he is complaining about.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
I would bet that the way they got six penalties for 99 yards is the stat guy counted all the yards from a foul by A behind the line of scrimmage. A hold behind the line of scrimmage often ends up with the ball farther than 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage. So if the ball is set 19 yards behind the LOS the stat guy might have logged it as 19 yards of penalty.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 02:11:59 PM »
Why would anone care AT ALL, what a coach, whose team AVERAGES 124 yards in penalties pergame, thinks about rules or officials.  Those statistics suggest he hasn't the foggiest idea of what he is complaining about.
Actually it shows he has a lot of experience with flags, penalties and enforcements.   :sTiR: