Author Topic: And another one.  (Read 11083 times)

Offline walkintall

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.

Online ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
Re: And another one.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 12:30:42 PM »
Sure looks to me like the player lined the Umpire up for the hit.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
Definitely no accident!!!!

I know I have retired at the right time. another incident happened in DISD last weekend, they  had a brawl with the DANCE squads...............................
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
The player took 4 or 5 steps directly into the blind side of the U - making absolutely no attempt to avoid the hit.

Since the play went to the opposite side of the player, his pursuit angle should have been WAY behind the U; but, instead he chose to go through the official.  In fact, it appears as though the player moved back several steps to get behind the U and be out of his field of vision.

As long as we have gutless administrators unwilling to take strong disciplinary measures, these situations will become more prevalent and, sadly more violent.  But I guess people see what they want to see...
:(

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
Volleyball is starting to look better and better...

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:35:03 PM »
Volleyball is starting to look better and better...

Our beloved sport has gotten black eyes a plenty from the media, doctors and scientists. Now our beloved game is being portrayed as a sport played by goons and thugs. Momma Bear and Poppa Bear will be thinking twice before they encourage Baby Bear to put on the pads. I worry.......

ECILLJ

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:48:30 PM »
....in the meantime we should consider getting the umpires out of the middle of the field. Our Umpire  sNiCkErS went down hard on two separate plays this weekend. There was no malicious intent, he just got caught up in the plays. The second hit required an injury time-out (for us). It was looking like we were going to finish as a four-man crew. He's a tough old bird and he was able to get up, dust himself off and finish the game  tiphat:......

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:56:07 PM »
I'll say it again. If the state agency agrees this was intentional and the Association has the backbone, hit the school where it hurts the most. Tear up the contract for home games on site and force away games. Players still get to play football but ...the school refusing to enforce criminal acts deserves what hurts the most. Loss of revenue from home games.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 09:05:37 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2571118-tennessee-hs-football-player-suspended-after-hitting-referee-on-video?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Matthew Gillespie of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association told the Gallatin News the governing body didn't plan on handing down any additional punishment.

"We have reviewed the tape several times and based on what we reviewed there was no intent to target the official. The player was running in the direction of the ball-carrier and hit the official. No information we received before or after the play would give us any indication that this was malicious intent," Gillespie said.

Yeah...so the official's report of what happened carries no weight at all.  Sad day.
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Jackie ED

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
Everyone is right, until the governing bodies grow a pair this will only get worse. One game off and some positive public relations work, and all is forgiven? Question though: was the player kicked out of the game at that instance? Or was he not punished until the film was reviewed? If my child did that and I had the slightest sense it was on purpose I would've been on the sideline in a flash removing said child from the field.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
Matthew Gillespie of the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association told the Gallatin News the governing body didn't plan on handing down any additional punishment.

"We have reviewed the tape several times and based on what we reviewed there was no intent to target the official. The player was running in the direction of the ball-carrier and hit the official. No information we received before or after the play would give us any indication that this was malicious intent," Gillespie said.

Absolutely Bull Scheiße!!! How can this guy possibly defend this kid?  Simply unreal.  I wonder how much this kid being a coaches kid played into that.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 01:10:09 PM »

Our beloved sport has gotten black eyes a plenty from the media, doctors and scientists. Now our beloved game is being portrayed as a sport played by goons and thugs. Momma Bear and Poppa Bear will be thinking twice before they encourage Baby Bear to put on the pads. I worry.......

As well we should, Ralph.  With all the heat on football anyway, and the incidents the past few weeks, things are going to get worse before they get better.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 07:44:24 AM »

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 07:47:52 AM »
I am flabbergasted the TSSAA doesn't do background checks.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline VALJ

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, VHSL doesn't.  We have to sign a statement that we haven't committed any felonies, but no actual background check. 

That said, I also coach my daughter's Little League team, and I go through a background check every year.  I've got nothing to hide. 

Offline prosec34

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
The TSSAA statement is reprehensible.  As a Tennessee referee, I'm ashamed.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:08:54 AM »
Well its getting worse-
http://usatodayhss.com/2015/former-football-official-had-arrest-history/

Sounds like between this and how he communicated with the player, he is a bad apple and needs to be plucked from officiating all together. That explains the suspension but is wholly separate from the player's conduct.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 12:29:08 PM »
I'll say it again. If the state agency agrees this was intentional and the Association has the backbone, hit the school where it hurts the most. Tear up the contract for home games on site and force away games. Players still get to play football but ...the school refusing to enforce criminal acts deserves what hurts the most. Loss of revenue from home games.

Absolutely, if we won't back ourselves up, why would we expect anyone else to.  Only suggestion, I'd extend the refusal of service to away games as well, unless and until the school took appropriate disciplinary action.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
Read starting at the 13th paragraph. The crew did not eject, and Gill went on local radio saying he couldn't. (He can and must if the call is intentionally contacting an official.)_

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/2015/09/23/glencliff-player-who-ran-over-official-now-not-suspended/72700932/

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 07:25:47 PM »
I am in no way excusing the player for his conduct. The player's actions were wrong, and there should be punishment. Having said that though, something about the way the Umpire handled this situation bothers me a bit.  He was quoted as saying:

“I had spoken to the player on the play before and he told me that I was in his way,” Gill said. “I asked him how long he’d been playing football and he had to realize that the referees are part of the field. I told him that he should have to avoid me and not the other way around. On the very next play, you saw what happened.”

While he may be technically correct, I don't agree with the approach he took (based on the quote). How long the player had been playing football is immaterial, and could have been seen by the player, depending on the official's tone, as a criticism or a put down.  Regardless, it was unnecessary.

I may be wrong, but I also don't think it is only the player's responsibility to avoid contact. When working Umpire, I always talk to the Linebackers and Safeties around me to ensure that, to the extent possible we avoid contact. If I am obstructing their view, or impeding their progress, I want to know so I can reposition myself to allow them to do their jobs, while still being able to do mine.

I am in no way implying that the Umpire is in any way responsible for being hit, but I do think he could have approached the situation more professionally.

Offline wheels71

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 07:11:09 AM »
I am in no way implying that the Umpire is in any way responsible for being hit, but I do think he could have approached the situation more professionally.

:thumbup