Author Topic: New official here with questions.  (Read 5616 times)

Offline UTchad

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
New official here with questions.
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:43:59 PM »
Hello everyone. I have been lurking for a couple of months now. And I figured I would officially join.  I have always had a desire to referee football and basketball. And recently I was coaching Jr. high basketball a women's team. I have decided that with a young family, coaching and a full time job was too much. So I decided to finally register in my state as an official for both Football and Basketball, because I still want to be around the sports that I love, I'm not in this for the money that's for sure I just enjoy the game. I already passed the football test and have been reading the rules every night. Basketball literature will be sent in Sept. I believe.

So for my first year as a football official I know that I will be primarily doing little league and am hoping to get some Sophomore and JV high school games as well.

Last Saturday I attended a rules clinic and will attend another one this Saturday. I met a great official who has been doing some U at Div II we exchanged numbers and I think I have the opportunity to have a great relationship and hopefully develop a mentorship here.

My questions are around the gear. For little league they want 1 inch stripes but for the high school they want 2.25 inch stripes. Who do you all prefer to shop through? and are there any local sports stores that you can recommend to potentially look for whistles, shoes, and any other gear?  Or is it best to go all online?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Chad

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
Re: New official here with questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
Welcome.  What State are you in so that the right people can direct you to places to get gear.  There are some that sell nationwide on line [Honigs, Purchase Officials and others] but many states have local suppliers our outlets to pick up stuff directly.  Also, some local chapters have vendors come by their meetings and sell directly to all members and often have intro packages for new members.

Offline UTchad

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
Welcome.  What State are you in so that the right people can direct you to places to get gear.  There are some that sell nationwide on line [Honigs, Purchase Officials and others] but many states have local suppliers our outlets to pick up stuff directly.  Also, some local chapters have vendors come by their meetings and sell directly to all members and often have intro packages for new members.
I'm in Utah. Honigs is supposed to be at our meeting on Saturday, but not sure if there are other cost friendly options out there.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:27:59 PM by UTchad »

Shoottv

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
Cant help with 2.25 inch shirts but if you are looking for 1 inch there are a bunch of us around the country who have those left that cant use them. Post your size and there are people around here who will send them for the price of shipping.

If you're a 2xl I'll hook you up with some one inch. knickers might show up in the same box too. :)

Offline UTchad

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 05:26:35 PM »
Cant help with 2.25 inch shirts but if you are looking for 1 inch there are a bunch of us around the country who have those left that cant use them. Post your size and there are people around here who will send them for the price of shipping.

If you're a 2xl I'll hook you up with some one inch. knickers might show up in the same box too. :)
I'm 6'3" 250 lbs. Ex linebacker. 2XL is the size I wear usually

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 09:12:24 PM »
Can you say Umpire  sNiCkErS sNiCkErS sNiCkErS

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 10:21:35 PM »
You should be able to pick up gently used 1" striped shirts locally from some vets.  Seek out your local chapter of officials.  They can probably equip you with old or spare gear pretty cheap or free.  The 2 1/4" I imagine you will need to purchase new as they are fairly recent addition to our world.

Offline UTchad

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
You should be able to pick up gently used 1" striped shirts locally from some vets.  Seek out your local chapter of officials.  They can probably equip you with old or spare gear pretty cheap or free.  The 2 1/4" I imagine you will need to purchase new as they are fairly recent addition to our world.

Thank you. I will be sure to talk to some of the vets on Saturday and see what they have to say.

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:29:46 AM »
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline DallasLJ

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
Harsh DLJ...
  6'3" 250 2XL ex-linebacker -- all the attributes of an Umpire.  Just sayin' . . . . .  That is where I would be looking to put him on my crew.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 08:30:39 AM »
Welcome to the brotherhood, Chad, and welcome (officially) to the form as a non-lurker.  I hope you find this forum entertaining, and educating.

As others have mentioned, I'm sure you can find some gently used 1-inch stripes, either from some of the vets/old timers in your association, or here. (For the record, I'm only an XL, but I have both short and long sleeve one inch stripes still. As Shoot mentioned, most of us will gladly send them to you for the cost of shipping - I know I could stand to clear out a drawer in my "official's dresser."  :)

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have - this site has been a fantastic resource for me, and I feel like I'm a much better official for having found it.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 08:31:09 AM »
Welcome to the brotherhood, Chad, and welcome (officially) to the form as a non-lurker.stic resource for me, and I feel like I'm a much better official for having found it.

See what I did there?

Offline UTchad

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:56:06 AM »
I caught it  ;D :thumbup