Author Topic: Where are your eyes?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline PTReferee

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Where are your eyes?
« on: October 31, 2021, 02:35:56 PM »
First year R. I began the season focusing on the left tackle pre-snap to observe for false starts. However,  if the guard or tackle is just quicker than the other linemen,  that movement is perceived as too early,  when in fact it is with the snap.  I recently tried focusing on the ball,  with my guard, tackle,  and backs in my peripheral vision. I feel that has helped me determine if players are false starting or are just quick off the ball. Thoughts? Where do you as an R focus your eyes?

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
Re: Where are your eyes?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
Looking through the backfield at the opposite tackle. Umpire should have the center and guards. Wing officials and U should be getting the false starts but R can help

" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 07:50:53 PM »
First year R. I began the season focusing on the left tackle pre-snap to observe for false starts. However,  if the guard or tackle is just quicker than the other linemen,  that movement is perceived as too early,  when in fact it is with the snap.  I recently tried focusing on the ball,  with my guard, tackle,  and backs in my peripheral vision. I feel that has helped me determine if players are false starting or are just quick off the ball. Thoughts? Where do you as an R focus your eyes?

Stay off of calling false starts on linemen as the R.  You have the backs and QB.  Let the LOS officials and U take the line, as they have a much better perspective on when the ball is snapped vs when the linemen move.

The caveat being is that you can certainly call false starts on linemen if it's a flinch clearly before the ball is snapped.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:43:33 PM »

See Bossman's message regarding false starts. :thumbup

As for your 'eyes' after the snap, there are different thoughts all around the country about keys. When I first started in FBS, the R took the tackle to his near side.  Couple of years later, I attended an NFLRA clinic, and learned that (at that time) NFL Rs would always key the tackle to the H's side, unless Team A was in a trips formation to the L's side.  That was because the H would drift downfield when the action showed pass, leaving the tackle to his side somewhat unobserved, if the R was keying the tackle to the L's side. I presented that to our conference at out next pre-season clinic, and we adopted that technique. I don't think the NFL is strictly doing that any longer. They are following a concept of "areas or responsibility," which is a very advanced concept, requiring the R to scan an area, and progress from threat to threat, as they present themselves.
The CCA manuals say to look through to the opposite tackle. Other manuals says to take the tackle on your side.
Find out what your organization wants. The most important thing is to coordinate with your U and your wings, to make sure you are all looking at different people, and that you ALL progress to the greatest threat in your view.

But, once the QB is threatened you must shift your attention to him (pass/fumble, RPS, TGT, ING, etc.).

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2021, 10:19:59 AM »
Stay off of calling false starts on linemen as the R.  You have the backs and QB.  Let the LOS officials and U take the line, as they have a much better perspective on when the ball is snapped vs when the linemen move.  The caveat being is that you can certainly call false starts on linemen if it's a flinch clearly before the ball is snapped.

Practical advice, trust your teammates to handle their responsibilities.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 10:57:47 AM »
Practical advice, trust your teammates to handle their responsibilities.

You win the post of the day.   aWaRd

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 01:29:03 PM »
What he describes is tunnel vision. Focus on one player when as a linesman ...you should be looking at everyone to the opposite tackle. Don't tunnel vision,