Author Topic: Off-Season  (Read 3874 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Off-Season
« on: December 29, 2021, 02:15:06 PM »
It's not totally off-season for everybody, yet, but I will go on record as saying that I hate off-season. It already s---s.

Just throwing that out there. Wish I was in Hawai'i.  8]

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Off-Season
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »
It's not totally off-season for everybody, yet, but I will go on record as saying that I hate off-season. It already s---s.

Just throwing that out there. Wish I was in Hawai'i.  8]

If only they played as many football games as baseball games!

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 04:54:44 AM »
Refstripes.com is up 24/7 for 365 days each year or 366 in leap year. There we can get our 'football fix' on a daily or even hourly basis  :) :bOW ! While we all enjoy talking...er..posting football stories/questions/answers, sometimes we get off-track, which leads me to today's trivia.....

[/HOW OFTEN DOES LEAP YEAR OCCUR ??b]

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 05:07:31 AM »

Once every 400/97 years.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 05:48:08 AM »
Just read Wikipedia about leap year. Way too complicated. I’ll just check the dang calendar, and take off work on leap day, if that’s OK with everybody. ;D

The next one is in 2024, by the way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 05:51:09 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »
As I recall, from my murky daze of youth, it's every year divisible by four EXCEPT century years and every century year divisible by four hundred. As we recall, 2000 was a leap year while 1900 wasn't. If you were born on leap day, I'm unsure if you would celebrate your birthday on the last day of February or the first day of March ::) .

Offline bossman72

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 08:47:45 AM »
Refstripes.com is up 24/7 for 365 days each year or 366 in leap year. There we can get our 'football fix' on a daily or even hourly basis  :) :bOW ! While we all enjoy talking...er..posting football stories/questions/answers, sometimes we get off-track, which leads me to today's trivia.....

Interesting bit from Neil Degrasse Tyson explaining how the calendar works and leap years.  Pretty cool.
https://youtu.be/I2itlUlD10M?t=215

Offline bossman72

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »
Interesting bit from Neil Degrasse Tyson explaining how the calendar works and leap years.  Pretty cool.

...and for anybody that cared (mostly you more nerdy types like me), here is Tom Scott explaining how to code/program for time... gets pretty complicated, but he explains it in a pretty digestible way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5wpm-gesOY

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks, Bossman, it was interesting and reminded my of our hero, Pope Gregory, for getting us back in line :thumbup ! I hope those disappearing 10 days wasn't during football season  :). As I recall, this replaced the calendar devised by Julius Caesar. I assume Julius wished the Pope had removed the Ides of March  :bOW ….

[/ WISHING ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR !! font]

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
If you want a real headache, try figuring out the date of Easter for a couple of years :) As a hint, the date is the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after 21 March.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 09:43:17 AM »
Thanks, Bossman, it was interesting and reminded my of our hero, Pope Gregory, for getting us back in line :thumbup ! I hope those disappearing 10 days wasn't during football season  :). As I recall, this replaced the calendar devised by Julius Caesar. I assume Julius wished the Pope had removed the Ides of March  :bOW ….

[/ WISHING ALL A HAPPY NEW YEAR !! font]

et tu Brute?!

Happy New Year to Ralph and everyone else!

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 09:45:39 AM »
If you want a real headache, try figuring out the date of Easter for a couple of years :) As a hint, the date is the first Sunday after the first full moon on or after 21 March.

I'm lucky to be able to count to 4. I need a good umpire and head line judge to get the penalty distances correct! :)

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 11:11:17 AM »
As I recall, from my murky daze of youth, it's every year divisible by four EXCEPT century years and every century year divisible by four hundred. As we recall, 2000 was a leap year while 1900 wasn't. If you were born on leap day, I'm unsure if you would celebrate your birthday on the last day of February or the first day of March ::) .

My daughter was born on Feb 29th.  Most people wish her a happy birthday on feb 28th.  I refuse because if it hadn't been a leap year she would have been born on March 1st. so that is when I celebrate it with her. Of course I like to tell her that she is too young to have her 3 kids because she has celebrated only 7 birthdays so far.

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 11:17:11 AM »

Not to be too technical but it is actually the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox which can be March 19th, 20th or 21st.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 11:38:14 AM »
Not to be too technical but it is actually the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox which can be March 19th, 20th or 21st.

You can never be "too technical" :) Actually most (all?) churches use the fixed date of March 21st for the equinox instead of the true astronomical date. See for example https://www.rmg.co.uk/stories/topics/when-easter and https://www.census.gov/data/software/x13as/genhol/easter-dates.html

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 08:34:18 AM »
Nothing like a debate over the Easter date to get your blood flowing.... LOL.
Happy New Year everyone.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 07:43:51 PM »

Nothing like a debate over the Easter date to get your blood flowing.... LOL.
Happy New Year everyone.

:thumbup
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 12:34:14 PM »
You could move to Florida.

August to the end of November. High School and Youth

Mid January to May  Semi Pro

Girl's Flag January to about March.

May High School Spring Games.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 03:35:21 PM »
As I recall from my Roman History daze, Emperor Constitene was the deciding factor  yEs:. Being the first Roman emperor to embrace Christianity , he was put off by the fact that Easter was celebrated at different times by different churches. He asked several church leaders to gather and come up with a common date  :o. They couldn't  :( . The emperor than said he would do it :

(1) Sunday is the Christian Holy Day, so it should be on a Sunday.(2) Easter celebrates the Rebirth of Christ, Spring celebrates rebirth of much nature, so it should be in early Spring.(3) Many Christians would pilgrimage to Calvary ,a few by horse/donkey/camel but most by foot. There was very few street lights back in Rome back in the 3rd or 4th century. A nighttime journey to Calvary was done best under a full moon.

MAY 2022 BRING HAPPENESS TO ALL        tiphat:

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 08:37:10 AM »
To git even more technical, where the phases of the moon differs depending where you are on this planet, if the full moon shows up in one town but not yet in another shortly after the vernal equinox there is a 'tie-breaker'. The moon phase over the Greenwich meridian decides if this is the 'real full moon' before Easter, or not. That's enough useless knowledge for today  ::) , as the Pats play the Jags at 1:05 EST - (I believe 6:05 PM GMT)  :)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 06:36:59 AM »
To continue this riveting discussion of time, without mentioning the game clock or play clock, let me ask a question that most everyone of us wondered when we were microboppers  ??? :o :!#....

What time is it at the North Pole ??  ??? ??? . At Pittsfield, Maine, USA, Earth it is now 7:30 AM EST, who can tell us the time at the North Pole  ??? ??? ???....

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 07:20:05 AM »
To continue this riveting discussion of time, without mentioning the game clock or play clock, let me ask a question that most everyone of us wondered when we were microboppers  ??? :o :!#....

What time is it at the North Pole ??  ??? ??? . At Pittsfield, Maine, USA, Earth it is now 7:30 AM EST, who can tell us the time at the North Pole  ??? ??? ???....

That's like a coach asking "Which one?!!" when you call an illegal formation on his team.  I don't know, Coach. You called the play and formation. You pick one of the 5 (or more) that were in the backfield.

The North Pole is the "Quantum Realm" that is referenced so many times in the Marvel movies.  8]

I have no time for this.  ( ;) See what I did there?)

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 08:04:48 AM »
HINT : You can find the answer in post #19. Remember, time zones are calibrated by degrees of longitude. yEs: All time zones would meet at the two poles. While explorers, scientists , or football coaches on the lam P_S often use the time zone from which they came, There is only 1 of the 24 time zones that is officially used for locations on the polar side of 80 degrees north and south latitude. If  all the time zones  reached the poles, you could  walk/stumble with your favorite beverage around the pole and celebrate the New Year 24 times  :thumbup eAt&.....

OR SO I'm TOLD  tiphat:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:07:53 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 09:38:14 AM »

I'm gonna throw you a curve ball and say with full confidence that at 7:30 AM EST, the time at the North Pole is 3:30 AM :)

As to the time zones above 80 degrees north, I think at least Greenland has more than one, Canada has a couple, and Russia and Norway one each.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 10:11:35 AM »
I'm gonna throw you a curve ball and say with full confidence that at 7:30 AM EST, the time at the North Pole is 3:30 AM :)

As to the time zones above 80 degrees north, I think at least Greenland has more than one, Canada has a couple, and Russia and Norway one each.
The 3: 30 AM, I believe is for North Pole, ALASKA ; where  :o bright eyed kids can send their letters to Santa  :). I once read that GMT was used above the 80th degree latitude. I can't always believe what I read.  ;D