Author Topic: New Official  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Verile

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
New Official
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:45:05 PM »
Folks, I am planning to get into football officiating next season since it is too late to get involved this season. Since I will be waiting until next season, I want to put some time in now on things like positioning and keys.

Is there a particular position that new officials generally start out at?

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
Re: New Official
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 02:00:57 PM »
The wings or at umpire.  I'd recommend contacting your local chapter and asking them if you can either run chains at games, or be allowed to sit in on pregame or halftime talks.

Offline AIAFA171

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 02:24:02 PM »
In our organisation (Italy ...) newcomers usually start off as LJ which is (in an environment where usually there are guys which have no played football experience) the easiest role of all.
ciao

Grant - AR

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:18:30 PM »
If you don't mind posting, let us know where you are from (at least the state).  There's bound to be someone on here that is close to you and could point you in the right direction.

jake2510

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
The wings would be best, I personally think Head Linesman is easier than Line Judge because most of the time I get people who have no experience or who don't pay attention on the chain gang. It's just easier not having to deal with that your first few times out.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Welcome to the club! In addition to the excellent advice, I'd recommend getting a rulebook and to start digging in.  Starting with Rule 2 will give you a good foundation for the definitions used throughout the book.

Offline Verile

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:29:39 PM »
Sorry, I am from Oklahoma.  I have contacted the local association, but it was too late to get involved this year.  I asked about sitting in on pregame and halftime talks, but was told that it is against State rules.

Thanks for the input!

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »
...I asked about sitting in on pregame and halftime talks, but was told that it is against State rules.....
...and we wonder why we have such a hard time getting new blood interested!  hEaDbAnG
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
I imagine that had he signed up in time to start the season, the rules about him sitting in may have been different.  As it is right now, technically its sounds as if he is a "civilian" and I don't know too many crews that would let him sit in on pre-game or come in the dressing room at the half in that status.  Maybe if he brought some  sNiCkErS ?!

While you are waiting for next season I would suggest that you sign up for USA Football and take the online course for starters.  See if any of the local officials would loan you an older set of rule books and/or a Reddings NFHS Guide.  The Rules by Topic book is a bit easier to read and can be ordered from NASO.

You can work on your conditioning and overall physical fitness to insure you'll be ready to go.  If your state offers spring ball, see if you can start then, or at least observe.

http://www.usafootball.com/game-officials?context=game%20officials

http://www.penaltycard.com/products/2011-Reddings-Study-Guide-to-Football-%252d-NFHS-Edition.html

https://www.pubservice.com/RIStore/ProductDetails.aspx?ID=78447

These sites offer some good video training:
http://www.mhsaa.com/Officials/OfficialsVideoTraining/tabid/918/Search/football/Default.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/user/tc3211

http://www.youtube.com/user/midmocollegerefs

http://www.youtube.com/user/twinsears

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:37:51 PM »
You really don't know many crews that would let someone interested in officiating sit in on the pregame or halftime discussions?  I think any of ours would be okay with that.

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 09:11:52 PM »
Hell,  we gave a late-appearing prospect a pass to our pregame AND postgame, then got the lad a manual, a clinic, and a spot on sticks in a kid's game Sunday.

mark in ok

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »
New official in Oklahoma City.  I'd be happy to share my path.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
I have an iphone app that has the 2010 ncaa rulebook. That would at least get you started.

cbailey

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:08:26 AM »
Sorry, I am from Oklahoma.  I have contacted the local association, but it was too late to get involved this year.  I asked about sitting in on pregame and halftime talks, but was told that it is against State rules.

Thanks for the input!

Where in Oklahoma are you and which association did you contact?  It is definitely NOT against state rules to sit in with a crew.  It's up to the individual crew.

Offline Verile

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
Where in Oklahoma are you and which association did you contact?  It is definitely NOT against state rules to sit in with a crew.  It's up to the individual crew.

Tulsa.  They have been very friendly when I have contacted them and I understand why they don't want outsiders around the crew.

Also, while putting my plan together I have been researching uniforms.  Would this get me everything that I would need to start?

mark in ok

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:56:36 AM »
The only thing missing is a pair of black shorts.  For the month of August September we wore black shorts for sub-varsity in the OKC area.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:03:32 PM by mark in ok »

Offline NWA_UMP

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:09 PM »
Dress in athletic apparel and help work the chains or chart penalties...come on over to NWA and I'll let you sit in and learn...it's only a 2 hour drive :) Heck I make that drive 3 days a week when the daughter hits club volleyball season...I have it down to a science getting between Bentonville and Union Intermediate HS! PikePass is my friend...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:15:24 AM by NWA_UMP »

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 05:05:32 AM »
My thoughts on the starter kit:
I think you should have 2 flags - but it is a discussion point on the board around here.
You will also need game cards and a pencil (can be bought or made yourself - some examples are available on this site).
I also think you should have a back-up pencil and whistle on the field.

gfd406

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 03:05:07 PM »
I can almost guarantee that the officials over in North East OK, will let you travel with them and chart penalties, or something.
Private message me and I will get you in touch with our president

Grant - AR

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
Verile,

Sorry for the delay, but I put the NFHS rule books in the mail today.  I also included a couple of goodies that will come in handy when you start working games.  I hope you enjoy them.

Grant

Offline Verile

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 07:21:17 AM »
I really appreciate everyone's help and advice on this thread!