Author Topic: Midwest Clinics?  (Read 6379 times)

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Midwest Clinics?
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:04:17 PM »
Wow....what an outstanding website.

I am looking for advice on some clinics that will help me improve my skills.  I live in Michigan and have been to the Dewitt and Kalamazoo Clinics designed for high school officials.  Both were great and I plan on attending again next year but was wondering if their are other clinics here in Michigan or the Midwest that are more intense and where you spend more time on the field.  Im in great shape and move well but want to focus more on mechanics, keys, and anything else that will make me become a better official.  A multi day clinic would be great and I'm not concerned with cost at the moment.  I have been a football official for 8 years and absolutely love the job.  Recently, I have really started to consider trying to become a college official.  Although I have no doubt it's tough to reach that level I'm a firm believer that you can accomplish anything you put your mind to.

I'm 33 and am a school teacher with a few Masters degrees.  I always figured that one day I would go into administration with my school district but as soon as I became an official my mindset changed.  I love the game, the "crew" aspect and want to seriously try to go as far in officiating as possible.  In the last few years I have moved up pretty fast in my local association and some have suggested the Honigs Clinic here in Michigan.  Any advice and recommendations about clinics in the Midwest would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BG

Offline bushman

• FAN REACTION: +23/-3
Re: Midwest Clinics?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 12:05:12 PM »
BG
I do not know about Midwest clinics but there are more all the time in a lot of areas. Here in the east there are 3 good clinics. Tom Beard, Liberty Bell, and the Blue Ridge. I think the Tom Beard is the only one with on the field experience.
When I started 38 years ago there were no clinics anywhere. This is why we started the Blue Ridge.
Clinics are a great way to improve and network. You are the right age to move up and you should reach out to the area Div III and II officials and see if you can at least ride along to some scrimmages.
Word of advise, do not push or politic your way up. Be considered one of the top officials in your HS association and you should be working state level playoff games before you are ready to move up. Be patient and work hard and good things will happen.
Check out the Honigs clinic, I am sure it is a well run clinic.
Also try attending a small college game and just observe the officials. You can also record BCS games and do the same.
Best of luck in your effort to move up.

Offline CollegeStripes51

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »
BG,

There is a very intense 5 man mechanics clinic in Fort Collins CO, called the front range football officials camp. This camp is held over 3 days and last year we had 11 varsity teams participate. Campers got all the reps and video evaluation of on field work. It is truly a great camp for the price and is getting better every year. Check it out at this link. http://frontrangefootballof.wix.com/fortcollins

Collegestripes51

Offline BG5

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Thanks for the feedback....just found out a great clinic in my area.  It's the 19th Annual Great Lakes Football Camp so that should be a great opportunity for me.

crossini

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:17:19 AM »
If you live in Michigan you need to go to the Great Lakes FOC that is organized by Dick Honig. This year it is April 9-11. I would send Dick an email (dick@honigs.com) asking for details.

Good luck!

Offline ljudge

• FAN REACTION: +19/-2
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 08:08:19 AM »
Just FYI, the Liberty Bell clinic offers a ton of scrimmages but they are ahead of the clinic.  They offer a mentoring program where you request a mentor in your application and they send frequent emails to those who signed up telling you where the scrimmages are and who the point of contact is to attend.  You can sign up for as many as you can attend so long as they aren't full (I think the magic number is something like 3 per position so you get plenty of reps).  They are coordinated between 5 conferences (PSAC, NEC, CAA, Ivy, and Patriot) so you get to work D-II and FCS-level scrimmages.