Author Topic: Overtime Rules Interpretation  (Read 691 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Overtime Rules Interpretation
« on: September 11, 2023, 03:52:55 PM »
I might be looking at last years book (2020 actually) but was curious as to what situation a ruling could be talking about.  On page 86 (Overtime Section) it speaks in rule 5-3-1, and says, "if a safety is scored by an offensive team...." 

How can this be in OT when, once possession changes, the series is over?  B has to have possession in order for A to score a safety...right? 

I guess A could fumble, the ball is going toward the sideline, and B, in an attempt to recover, forces the ball into its own end zone?   Is this what they mean?

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Overtime Rules Interpretation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 04:07:33 PM »
I might be looking at last years book (2020 actually) but was curious as to what situation a ruling could be talking about.  On page 86 (Overtime Section) it speaks in rule 5-3-1, and says, "if a safety is scored by an offensive team...." 

How can this be in OT when, once possession changes, the series is over?  B has to have possession in order for A to score a safety...right? 

I guess A could fumble, the ball is going toward the sideline, and B, in an attempt to recover, forces the ball into its own end zone?   Is this what they mean?
Yes, that's it. If B puts a new force on the ball, causing it to go into their endzone, A would be awarded a safety.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 08:15:04 AM »
A simular situation exsists on PATs. If a loose ball is nearly at rest or rolling away from the goal line and muffed by B back into their EZ where it becomes dead or in possession of B= safety = one point.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:35:32 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 06:03:56 PM »
Also, make sure that you know your individual states OT (extra Period) rules as they may be different from what is [size=78%]the NFHS suggested OT rules.[/size]
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 06:33:13 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 02:28:37 PM »
Also, make sure that you know your individual states OT (extra Period) rules as they may be different from what is [size=78%]the NFHS suggested OT rules.[/size]
State of Ohio says, A may score by FG, TD, or Try ONLY.

Apparently no safety for us.

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 04:22:06 PM »
NFHS OT framework indicates in 5-1-3, a safety would be scored.

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 09:07:32 AM »

I think this is a different topic/situation Mr. Ralph, but we are taught to believe that once a PAT is kicked, the play is over....wait...you're talking about a fumble or bad snap aren't you.

The 1 point you speak of....is that in the NFHS book or a state by state ruling?

Online Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 09:33:31 AM »
I think this is a different topic/situation Mr. Ralph, but we are taught to believe that once a PAT is kicked, the play is over....wait...you're talking about a fumble or bad snap aren't you.

The 1 point you speak of....is that in the NFHS book or a state by state ruling?
8-5-2b

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 01:42:30 PM »

Also see Table 8-1, Rule 8-3-3, and Casebook 8.3.3 SITUATION A
SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum