Author Topic: Blocked Fg: next play..  (Read 872 times)

Offline 1Cor9:25

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Blocked Fg: next play..
« on: September 24, 2022, 09:13:17 PM »
Situation 1: 4-g at the B-8. FG is blocked and recovered by team A at B-12. The ball never crossed the LOS.

Situation 2: 4-G at the B-15. FG is blocked by B1. The ball carons to the B-13 where B2 catches the ball and drops to a knee.

I believe both situations should be spotted for a first down for B at the dead ball spot. I wasnt positive...we spotted both at the B-20. Crew discussion "it wouldnt make sense to penalize B for blocking the fg..."

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Blocked Fg: next play..
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 11:23:20 PM »
Situation 1: 4-g at the B-8. FG is blocked and recovered by team A at B-12. The ball never crossed the LOS.

Situation 2: 4-G at the B-15. FG is blocked by B1. The ball carons to the B-13 where B2 catches the ball and drops to a knee.

I believe both situations should be spotted for a first down for B at the dead ball spot. I wasnt positive...we spotted both at the B-20. Crew discussion "it wouldnt make sense to penalize B for blocking the fg..."

In 1), assuming Team A recovers the ball and is "downed" a that point, then Team B is awarded a series at the spot of the recovery by Team A (dead-ball spot. The must cross the NZ for rule 8-4-2-b-1 to be in effect. If Team A recovers the ball while on their feet, the ball remains alive and in play, and the ball may be advanced. However, being 4th down, they must reach their line-to-gain to retain possession. If they fail to reach their line-to-gain, then Team B is awarded a series at the dead-ball spot ("turnover on downs").

In 2) Team B is awarded a series at the dead-ball spot (where B2 drops to his knee after catching the kicked ball). The ball must be untouched by Team B for rule 8-4-2-b-1 to be in effect.

Team B isn't penalized in either case. In 1), this is no different than if Team A fumbled behind the NZ - both teams have equal opportunity to recover the ball and advance it. So, Team B should have no expectation of getting the ball at the B-20. In 2), all Team B has to do is leave the ball alone, and they'll get a series at the B-20. They get rewarded for leaving the ball alone.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Blocked Fg: next play..
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 03:23:34 PM »
8-4-2-b2
If the ball doesn't cross the neutral zone, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply.
If Team B touches the ball beyond the NZ, all rules pertaining to scrimmage kicks apply.

So in both of your scenarios, treat it like you would on a punt.