Author Topic: The deep wing "Fade"  (Read 379 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
The deep wing "Fade"
« on: June 23, 2023, 01:31:21 PM »
During the TASO webinar a couple of days ago, there was a brief discussion of the emphasis that has been given to deep wings in "beating the players to the goal line." Yes. There has been improper emphasis on "getting to the goal line." The purpose of the "fade" by deep wings is not, as a goal, to get to the goal line before the players get there. The primary goal of the "fade" is to maintain a cushion between the deep wing and the players, as the players move down the field. By maintaining a cushion of some 10 yards, the deep wing can keep a good angle on the action that allows him to see between the players, which is the optimum viewing angle to see action on/by opposing players. To accomplish this, the deep wing must move as quickly and rapidly as he can to, as closely as possible, match the speed of the players moving down the field. I know some very athletic officials that were/are able to do this with a backpedaling movement. The backpedal allows the official to keep his body completely open to the action, without having to look over his shoulder, which is certainly better than running and having to look over the shoulder. Another advantage of the backpedal fade is that the official can stay as near the sideline as possible, which maximizes the viewing angle to action on the field. But officials that are able to successfully maintain the cushion while backpedaling were/are exceptions to the rule. Most (including myself) are able to backpedal fade for about 10-15 yards before they need to "turn and run" to maintain that cushion.
Once the deep wing can tell that the players are moving too quickly downfield for him to maintain his cushion, then he needs to "turn and run," but maintain his attention on the players by looking back over his shoulder as he runs. This is best done by, in the first few steps, moving at an angle away from the sideline to a point some distance (6' typically) from the sideline, to reduce the amount that he must rotate his upper body and head to look back over his shoulder as he runs.
The good by-product of a good fade is that, eventually, it will put the deep wing at the goal line before the player(s) get there. Once he gets to the goal line (extended), he should stop, hold a stationary position, and let the rest of the action come to him.
At some point, on a long pass (or long run by a BC), the players are quite likely to catch/pass the deep wing. That's life. Keep moving hard until you get to the goal line, then stop, get stationary, and continue to officiate, which might be a signal (TD, incomplete, etc.), as well as maintaining attention on the players, especially a scoring BC, and the players immediately around him.
During a down, the deep wing may not have to move at all. His key may be a tight end, who blocks on a 'dive' play into the line for a 1-yard gain. No need to move.
He may not have to move much. His wide receiver key runs 6 yards downfield, then turns and runs 90 degrees toward the middle of the field where he catches a pass and is tackled. The deep wing may have taken 2-3 backpedal steps, and held, in a stationary position. Great.
He may have to move moderately. His wide receiver key may sprint downfield 15 yards, then stop to catch a pass at the sideline. The DW may take 6-8 backpedal steps, then stop and hold. Great.
He may have to move hard. His wide receiver key sprints from the line, to the sideline, and downfield 25 yards where he attempts to catch a pass while in full run. The DW may have to take 12-15 backpedal steps, and then "turn and run' until the receiver makes the catch, or it falls incomplete.
But, by maintaining a good cushion as long as possible, he stands the best chance of observing action between the players, as well as have a good look at the players related to the sideline, for possible stepping OB by the receiver, or whether the airborne receiver first returns to the ground inbounds or out of bounds. (Remember, look for the feet first, then the ball.) Etc.

The thing I hated most was an interception. Now I have forward progress, in the reverse fade. And I was usually at least 10 yards behind the guy that made the interception, and he was quite often already moving away from me, back upfield. Thankfully, nobody cares about accuracy (within reason) on a progress spot on this kind of turnover.

We should all stop using the expression, "Don't get beat to the goal line." The GOAL is not to beat the players to the goal line. But, it IS to maintain a cushion, which will put you at the goal line ahead of the players, in the strong majority of cases.

But not always. LaDanian Tomlinson broke through the line about the A-30. I had a full 25-yard lead on him. As he crossed the goal line, I was at the B-10. Thankfully, no one else was within 20 yards of him when he crossed. He had a look and posture that he wanted to do some kind of dance. I started yelling at him, "Don't dance! Don't dance!" He walked over, handed me the ball and said, "Sir, I don't dance." And walked away. Good memories.