Author Topic: Scrimmage Kick Help  (Read 3653 times)

hortod

Scrimmage Kick Help
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:36:53 AM »
K back to punt from their own 40yd line.  Before the kick K1 holds R1.  R2 fields the kick and returns it to R's 40 yd line.  During the return R3 blocks K2 in the back.  How do you enforce these two penalties?

Thanks.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Scrimmage Kick Help
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
R may retain possession by declining K's foul, at which point R's foul will be enforced as a PSK foul (marked from the end of the punt).  If R accepts K's foul, it's a double foul, and the down is replayed.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:44:06 AM »
R can keep the ball by declining K's foul & having their BiB foul enforced.  If they'd rather not do that, the two fouls make a double foul & the down is replayed.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
R may retain possession by declining K's foul, at which point R's foul will be enforced as a PSK foul (marked from the end of the punt).  If R accepts K's foul, it's a double foul, and the down is replayed.

Since R's foul was during the return, it's not PSK enforcement.  The basic spot is the end of R's run.  If the foul happened behind the basic spot, it's enforced from the spot of the foul.  Otherwise, it's enforced from the end of the run.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »
Since R's foul was during the return, it's not PSK enforcement.  The basic spot is the end of R's run.  If the foul happened behind the basic spot, it's enforced from the spot of the foul.  Otherwise, it's enforced from the end of the run.

You are correct, I was thinking R's foul was during the kick.  In rereading, I see that K's foul was during the kick, R's came after the kick ended.

mbyron

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
You are correct, I was thinking R's foul was during the kick.  In rereading, I see that K's foul was during the kick, R's came after the kick ended.

One more time, AB: K's foul occurred prior to the kick. Still, R must decline the penalty to keep the ball. ;)

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
One more time, AB: K's foul occurred prior to the kick. Still, R must decline the penalty to keep the ball. ;)

A distinction without a difference.  Doesn't matter if it was prior to or during the actual kick, it happened during a loose ball play, the resulting decisons are the exact same.