Author Topic: PSK, what year?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
PSK, what year?
« on: August 31, 2019, 06:29:00 AM »
We had a PSK foul last night.  The coach accepted our explanation, but acted like he had never heard of the whole concept.  Just out of curiosity, what year was PSK adopted?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: PSK, what year?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:27:03 AM »
My NFHS experience and rule books date to 2014 and PSK fouls are in that book and not flagged as 2014 changes, so I would say that PSK has been in the NFHS rules since at least 2013.  I'm sure that other posters on this board can probably come up with the exact year PSK enforcement was first was adopted (Ralph?).
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline FLAHL

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 07:32:10 AM »
This is just a guess, but I’m going to say 2008. The WH I worked with when the rule was implemented has been retired for over 10 years.

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 10:31:30 AM »
The following is from https://www.football.refs.org/rules/index.html

2003   -   2-16-2g ... Post-Scrimmage-Kick penalty enforcement added; reflects, with a few exceptions, that the receiving team may retain possession of the ball at the end of the down if they commit a foul after the ball has been kicked but before the kick ends. [OUR NOTE: this rule was very poorly and illogically written in 2003 and caused major headaches for officials; rule was rewritten properly for 2004.]

2004   -   2-16-2g ...Post-Scrimmage Kick: Cleaned up the horrible 2003 language, clarifying that the location of the ball is not relevant to determining PSK, just the location of the foul and whether or not the kick crossed the neutral zone. Also, clarified that a successful field goal is not included in any PSK.

Offline KWH

• FAN REACTION: +633/-113
  • See it, Think about it, Pass on it if possible!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »

2003; 2-16-2g...Post-scrimmage kick - A foul by R that occurs on R's side of the expanded neutral zone prior to the end of the kick during a scrimmage kick that ends beyond the neutral zone and K does not have possession of the ball when the down ends. The definition does not apply to a kick try.

2004 - Can't find my dad gummed book - Ralph???  (I know they removed the requirement that the kick had to end beyond the neutral zone in either 2004 or 2005?) Ralph???
2005 - Can't find my dad gummed book - Ralph???

2006; 2-16-2g...Post-scrimmage kick - A foul by R when the foul occurs:
1.   During scrimmage kick plays other than a try or successful field goal.
2.   During a scrimmage kick play in which the ball crosses the expanded neutral zone.
3.   Beyond the expanded neutral zone
4.   Before the end of the kick
5.   And K does not have possession of the ball when the down ends and will not be next to put the ball in play.

2007; 2-16-2h...Post-scrimmage kick - A foul by R when the foul occurs:
2.   During a scrimmage kick play in which the ball crosses the expanded neutral zone.
5.   And K does not have possession of the ball when the down ends and will not be next to put the ball in play.

2009; 2-16-2h...Post-scrimmage kick - A foul by R (other than illegal substitution or participation) when the foul occurs:
5.   And K will not be next to put the ball in play.

2017; 2-16-2h...Post-scrimmage kick - A foul by R (other than an illegal substitution or illegal participation foul that occurs at the snap) when the foul occurs:
5.   And K will not be next to put the ball in play.

SEE everything that you CALL, but; Don't CALL everything you SEE!
Never let the Rules Book get in the way of a great ball game!

Respectfully Submitted;
Some guy on a message forum