Author Topic: Motion and getting set  (Read 6290 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-284
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Re: Motion and getting set
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »
So I didn't see this mentioned.... I realize that we have all 11 set, then one guy goes in motion. If he stays in motion fine. If he stops, however, his next action is what matters, in my opinion. If he stops with his shoulders perpendicular to the LOS, I'm saying he is still in motion, even though he is stopped. If he turns his shoulders to get set, don't most players get set by moving/leaning toward the LOS? If he is still getting set (moving forward) when the snap goes, you've got illegal motion. Though I'm likely talking to the offense before throwing this because of advantage/disadvantage.

The original OP requires a 1 second set since the "man in motion" has reset as a lineman (TE).  If he remains in the backfield far more leeway as long as he's not moving toward the LOS.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline brettjr2005

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • CIF
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 03:14:36 PM »
Assuming you mean he became a TE on the LoS then he's dirty. He was either off the line then moved onto the line, so he had to have moved forward, or he was already on the LoS so he cannot "motion" to another position on the LoS.

If you mean a TE position that is still off the line, then it depends. If he's facing the LoS while in motion and shuffling sideways but pauses as the ball is snapped then that sounds ok. If he jogs over then turns to face the LoS or puts a hand on the ground then he needs to be set for at for "1 second."

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 03:24:16 PM »
So I didn't see this mentioned.... I realize that we have all 11 set, then one guy goes in motion. If he stays in motion fine. If he stops, however, his next action is what matters, in my opinion. If he stops with his shoulders perpendicular to the LOS, I'm saying he is still in motion, even though he is stopped. If he turns his shoulders to get set, don't most players get set by moving/leaning toward the LOS? If he is still getting set (moving forward) when the snap goes, you've got illegal motion. Though I'm likely talking to the offense before throwing this because of advantage/disadvantage.

Yes, this is exactly what I was seeing.  Man in motion turning to get set and just as he was getting into his set position there was the snap, so it was almost simultaneous.  It just didn't look right to me. 

Kind of a similar situation my white called illegal motion on the offense.  Here is what happened:  Man was in motion and as he was in motion some offensive lineman were getting into their set positions.  The line got set but the runner was still in motion at the snap.  When two men or more are in motion all 11 need to reset for 1 full second....
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:25:58 PM by Derek Teigen »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
This is another one of those TECHNICAL posts, but the proper call for that foul is illegal shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 04:35:39 PM »
HI Calhoun...thanks for that and yes I think in fact he did call it an illegal shift.  I'll double check on the foul report when I receive it.  This is really good stuff and great discussions.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2019, 01:02:40 AM »
This is another one of those TECHNICAL posts, but the proper call for that foul is illegal shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is SHIFTING to a position on the line and doesn't get set for a second then it's absolutely a foul for an illegal shift. He can't be in motion as a lineman. They also either had someone else shift from the line to a back on the play or possibly now have 8 on the line and someone is covered (legal formation). If he started as a back and ends as a back that's where I wouldn't be too technical since he can legally be in motion at the snap.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »

Kind of a similar situation my white called illegal motion on the offense.  Here is what happened:  Man was in motion and as he was in motion some offensive lineman were getting into their set positions.  The line got set but the runner was still in motion at the snap.  When two men or more are in motion all 11 need to reset for 1 full second....

Read this post again. If “man was in motion AND AS HE WAS IN MOTION SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMEN WERE GETTING INTO THEIR SET POSITIONS. the line got set but the runner was still in motion at the snap.”

It doesn’t matter if the “runner” was motioning in the backfield or on the line here. If he doesn’t stop for 1 second it’s a foul for ILLEGAL SHIFT AT THE SNAP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk