Author Topic: Mouth Guard  (Read 9478 times)

Offline jgf6

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
Mouth Guard
« on: October 07, 2012, 02:58:57 PM »
In our state, AZ, and in other states, I have notice players wearing white, pacifier type, mouth guards. Our rules interpreter says because they pertrude outside the mouth, unlike the regular one, crews are letting them wear them and he agrees to it. My concern with that is we are going against the NFS safety rule. What are your thoughts on this and are you letting them wear these?
Thanks for your input.  hEaDbAnG

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Mouth Guard
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
In our state, AZ, and in other states, I have notice players wearing white, pacifier type, mouth guards. Our rules interpreter says because they pertrude outside the mouth, unlike the regular one, crews are letting them wear them and he agrees to it. My concern with that is we are going against the NFS safety rule. What are your thoughts on this and are you letting them wear these?
Thanks for your input.  hEaDbAnG
I wouldn't if it were completely white or completely clear. The words "shall wear" required equipment don't mean you can wear what you want. The first time a kid loses a few teeth some hotshot lawyer is going to figure out a way to look towards you for not enforcing the rule as written.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »
Maybe he'll change his mind when he is named (probably along with the game officials and his coach) in a lawsuit following a situation where a player looses a tooth or teeth during a game in which that player is allowed to participate with an illegal piece of equipment (1-5-1d5).

It's one thing to have a coach tell you that all his players are legally equipped; but when your interpreter gives you the okay - in direct opposition to the rule - everyone in Arizona better find a good attorney..... hEaDbAnG

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
I agree, the rule says no all white, but think about the REASON for the rule.  The NFHS wants officials to be able to quickly see if the mouthpiece is in.  With this type of mouthguard, it's extremely obvious it's in.

The interpreter is using some common sense, applying the REASON of the rule if not the WORDING of the rule.  We teach officials to do this all the time:  call WITH the rulebook, not BY the rulebook.

I don't have a problem with his interpretation, and if it ever went to court, it's an easy win for the officials: was the color of the mouthpiece the proximate or contributory cause of the injury?  Of course not.  Was the player wearing the mouthpiece?  Yes.  Could the official easily see that he was wearing it?  Yes.

Thank you, case dismissed.

I would sure rather see this type, even in all white:

than this, which is legal because it isn't "all clear":

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:38:41 PM by Atlanta Blue »

kerryman71

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
I don't have a problem with his interpretation, and if it ever went to court, it's an easy win for the officials: was the color of the mouthpiece the proximate or contributory cause of the injury?  Of course not.  Was the player wearing the mouthpiece?  Yes.  Could the official easily see that he was wearing it?  Yes.

Thank you, case dismissed.

Wait a minute, that's common sense.  You do realize that in this courtroom you refer to will be a judge and lawyers, right?  Common sense just went out the window.  ???

John

AFSST

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:33:44 PM »
Just have the kid take a black marker and color a big dot on the outside of the pacifier...then it's not all white.

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:14:38 PM »
Just have the kid take a black marker and color a big dot on the outside of the pacifier...then it's not all white.
We do this all the time. Usually player gets the mouthguard formed at the orthodontist and doesn't want to switch. We let the color the front with a Sharpie so it is no longer all white.