Author Topic: USL Penalty During Run...Ends in IAW  (Read 627 times)

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
USL Penalty During Run...Ends in IAW
« on: September 29, 2023, 12:31:37 PM »
Was at a JH game last night (watching) and had a run around the end, WH throws flag, kid runs another 10 yard and the LJ blows an inadvertant.

Flag was for Unsportsmanlike (don't know what he did, but they're learning so young these days..LOL)

The crew replayed the down, didn't offer possession at spot of whistle, and ignored the penalty.  I kept my mouth shut.

Got to thinking on the way home.  If they take the spot of whistle, do you then tack on the 15 yard US?

Online CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: USL Penalty During Run...Ends in IAW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
Was at a JH game last night (watching) and had a run around the end, WH throws flag, kid runs another 10 yard and the LJ blows an inadvertant.

Flag was for Unsportsmanlike (don't know what he did, but they're learning so young these days..LOL)

The crew replayed the down, didn't offer possession at spot of whistle, and ignored the penalty.  I kept my mouth shut.

Got to thinking on the way home.  If they take the spot of whistle, do you then tack on the 15 yard US?
Yes. It’s succeeding spot foul. The succeeding spot is the spot where the ball became dead in possession of the runner when the whistle was rooted.

Offline animalspooker

• FAN REACTION: +1/-11
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 01:00:30 PM »
You know how it is when you start questioning yourself.  I can easily talk myself out of anything!

Offline Fatso

• FAN REACTION: +8/-1
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 01:49:26 PM »
Yes. It’s succeeding spot foul. The succeeding spot is the spot where the ball became dead in possession of the runner when the whistle was rooted.
Wouldn't the succeeding spot be the previous spot because of replaying down for inadvertent whistle?

Online CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 04:18:09 PM »
Wouldn't the succeeding spot be the previous spot because of replaying down for inadvertent whistle?
no, because this was a whistle during a running play. A can keep the ball at the spot where the runner was when the whistle was blown. They also have the option to replay the down, but surely they wouldn't want that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 04:21:38 PM by CalhounLJ »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2023, 12:07:49 PM »
There could be times where replaying the down would be the best call, such as : 3/5, runner advances 3 yards before the eager tweeter sounds his horn. The choices would then be : 4/2 or 3/5. Some coaches might prefer getting the down back. I would always go to the coach for this call.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 12:01:05 PM by Ralph Damren »