Author Topic: Decision to start the clock on the snap?  (Read 321 times)

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Decision to start the clock on the snap?
« on: August 27, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »
Copied from Facebook (modified slightly):

Goal line play at end of first half with :14 on the clock.

A1's run is stopped short of the goal. No time outs left.
In the pile, B53 and A65 exchange opinions on each others’ parental heritage and/or sexual preferences.

U throws flag and kills clock with :01 on the clock. After discussion, R indicates UNS on B53 and A65. Penalties offset.

Does either team have the option for the game clock to start on the snap in light of the offsetting DB fouls?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Decision to start the clock on the snap?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 10:50:57 AM »
I cannot find anything that explicitly covers applying 3-4-7 in a double foul (or offsetting dead ball fouls) scenario. There is a case play (3.4.7.C) that covers a live-ball/dead-ball situation where the penalties are applied in the order of occurrence and therefore 3-4-7 options are given in the order of occurrence as well.

Extrapolating that scenario slightly, I would think both teams are offended and therefore both teams could have the option to delay the clock. Since you can only decline the option and not force the clock to start on the ready, if one team wants the clock started on the snap then the other team's choice is moot.

If it seems obvious that A fouled intentionally to try and force that scenario (which is a bit of a gamble, since you'd need B to retaliate), I'd probably invoke 3-4-6 and overrule any 3-4-7 decision.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
Re: Decision to start the clock on the snap?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 11:47:35 AM »
It seems to me that when each team commits a penalty under two minutes that the white hat would default the play clock to start on the snap, especially if the game is very close.  Hiwver , if the game is a blowout the white hat may want to just wind the clock on the ready just to get everybody out sooner