Author Topic: Touchback with a penalty  (Read 451 times)

Offline mrkylefmoore

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Touchback with a penalty
« on: October 04, 2023, 01:50:44 PM »
I am an Oklahoma HS official. We had a scrimmage kick, R8 calls for a fair catch around his own 10-yard line. The ball bounces off his shoulder (muff) and rolls into the endzone for a touchback. However, r8 realizes that the defender nearest him is trying to recover the kick before it enters the endzone and blocks him at the 8. This is a penalty for blocking after a fair catch signal. However, where is it enforced from? The 8 or the 20? I have the 20 but can't find it specifically in the rule book or case book. Thoughts?

Offline juxone

• FAN REACTION: +1/-2
  • Always seeking a deeper understanding.
Re: Touchback with a penalty
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 02:15:24 PM »
Only the receiver who gives a valid signal is afforded protection, but he loses that protection if he muffs the ball, (and it does not matter if he still has a chance to complete the catch after the muff, since he maybe immediately contacted, so I do not think there is a flag for blocking after the "a fair catch".

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 02:16:25 PM »
It will be enforced from the R8.

The basic spot is the 20 for the touchback, and the PSK foul occurred behind the basic spot therefore it is a spot foul (10-4-3)

Offline juxone

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2023, 02:31:03 PM »
It will be enforced from the R8.

The basic spot is the 20 for the touchback, and the PSK foul occurred behind the basic spot therefore it is a spot foul (10-4-3)

ncwingaman Since I am usually the one asking questions, can you help clarify? Was it correct to say "There was no foul for the fair catch then muff. But  the foul for PSK was for blocking the receiver BEFORE the ball went into the endzone?  eAt&

I am asking because of the answer in 6.5.6E which is simular to the original question example save for the point K did not catch the ball.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 02:37:20 PM by juxone »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 03:21:08 PM »
Was it correct to say "There was no foul for the fair catch then muff. But  the foul for PSK was for blocking the receiver BEFORE the ball went into the endzone?  eAt&

I am asking because of the answer in 6.5.6E which is simular to the original question example save for the point K did not catch the ball. 

Not similar at all.  The foul is for the receiver blocking after he gave a fair catch signal.  This isn't KCI, which is what your case play is in reference to.  You've got it backwards.

Offline juxone

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »
........ r8 realizes that the defender nearest him is trying to recover the kick before it enters the endzone and blocks him at the 8. This is a penalty for blocking after a fair catch signal.....

HlinNC,  aWaRd I apologize, I guess read (in my mind) that the block was done TO R8.  After your last answer I re-read the question  hEaDbAnG [several times] and see where I got it wrong.. sincerely appreciate your response. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 06:39:35 PM by juxone »