Author Topic: Hi, 1st post. Am going to NAIA clinic, need mechanics on a deep wing.  (Read 1256 times)

Offline RDC

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Are there any publications or video series on YT someone more knowledgable would suggest for deep wing mechanics ?

7 and 8 man crews. my keys, my reads, my guy in formations?

Thanks ahead of time, for your time.

RDC

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Are there any publications or video series on YT someone more knowledgable would suggest for deep wing mechanics ?

RDC

I worked deep sideline for 10 years in FBS, but I'd be afraid to offer you any advice, because the coverage landscape is rapidly evolving, for better, or for worse (for worse, IMHO, but what do I know?). The NFL has modified their key system and has modified how the deep wings work, with this so-called "settling" concept. How far that has reached into NCAA football, I can't say, but I know it is filtering down. If you can find out from someone, what they will be expecting in this camp, you'll be ahead of the game.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...

RDC

As a deep wing, your key (both 7- and 8-m mechanics) is always going to be the #1 (or outermost) receiver on your side.  Easy to remember. 

The only advice I can give you, is that don't officiate air - if you key isn't being threatened, go looking for work - move your eyes inwards to the next block or interesting action.  Learn to make this transition quickly - takes lots and lots of snaps to do this effectively. 

Ball mechanics - your first priority is getting players out of the opposing sideline, but immediately after, you should be looking for a ball to put in play, and get it to the U (usually.) 

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
Moved the topic to the NCAA forum to get more views from officials with NCAA experience.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
As a deep wing, your key (both 7- and 8-m mechanics) is always going to be the #1 (or outermost) receiver on your side.  Easy to remember. 

The only advice I can give you, is that don't officiate air - if you key isn't being threatened, go looking for work - move your eyes inwards to the next block or interesting action.  Learn to make this transition quickly - takes lots and lots of snaps to do this effectively. 

Ball mechanics - your first priority is getting players out of the opposing sideline, but immediately after, you should be looking for a ball to put in play, and get it to the U (usually.)

Not disputing anything Bobby says, at all. But, I also know that the NFL has transitioned to a concept of "areas of responsibility," as opposed to hard and fast "keys." Again, I believe this is filtering down to NCAA, but I don't know how far that has reached, either. Again, would be good to know their expectations before you get there, if possible.
With a Center Judge, ball handling is a bit different, I believe, but they didn't move to 8 until 2 seasons after I retired from FBS.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 01:33:27 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline dammitbobby

I haven't attended any conference camps/clinics yet this year (they'll all be later), but I have not heard of any substantial changes to mechanics for deeps... doesn't mean it's not coming, but I have personally have not heard of anything coming down the pipe for this.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
You can find the International American Football Officials Association's mechanics manual here: http://www.myiafoa.org/mechanics/mofo19/index.html - I think it is close to what CFO does but do read it with a grain of salt.

Offline Rob S

• FAN REACTION: +13/-0
This follows NCAA (CCA) mechanics very closely: http://www.sccfoa.org/docs/2022/2022%20SCCFOA%20Crew-of-Seven%20Mechanics%20Manual%20(082522).pdf . Deep wing is basically the same for 7 or 8 official mechanics.

Offline RDC

Hey, thanks everybody, I really appriciate the help!

Offline RDC

thanks!

Offline RDC

update: camp was amazing!

mechanics : Collegiate Commissioners Association Football officiating Manual.

You get them when your registered with the NCAA.

Offline dammitbobby

Glad it went well for you!

You can also purchase the CCA manual, not sure where I got mine from, but I don't think it was NCAA.  Maybe referee.com.