Author Topic: Optional replay for D2/D3?  (Read 1125 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Optional replay for D2/D3?
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »
Last bullet point:
Replay adjustments: During games in which there isn't a replay official in the booth, on-field officials will have optional replay in which they can use available video after a coach's challenge.

If I am reading this correctly, this opens up some form of replay for D2/D3/Juco, if the coach is ambitious enough to have some kind of video system readily available?

From
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-rule-changes-including-running-clock-on-first-down-forthcoming-with-aim-to-shorten-games/amp/

Seems like this could potentially be a big deal... I for one have pretty much always ignored rule 12 because I'm never going to make it to D1, so I never thought it relevant to be well-versed in it.  May need to rethink that.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Optional replay for D2/D3?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 09:54:08 AM »
The way things and society are going, on-field officials will be extinct long before the end of this century. There will be ball retrievers/spotters, being told where to spot the ball via "spotter comm" radios, or on a video display. Won't need a chain crew. When a foul is seen, "the booth" will press a button and ring of red lights on the face of the upper grandstands will be lit. A liaison on each sideline will explain the options to each coach, and relay their decision to "the booth." Then a mysterious AI voice will announce the foul and the penalty. An AI clock operator will automatically start and stop the clock, based on events happening on the field, and information from "the booth."

All by 2084, I predict. Won't be around to see it.

That is, unless the gambling outfits get full control things. Then, who knows?

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 10:29:13 AM »
With the need for human officials gone, the need for human players may be soon behind - think of the injuries saved. During the pandemic we saw phony fans with phony cheers......

A TOP HIT SEVERAL YEARS AGO WAS: 'IN THE YEAR 2222' BY SOME ONE HIT WONDERS....

THEY MAY HAVE NAILED IT !!

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 11:50:51 AM »
Yeager and Evans
Year 2525
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 12:00:54 PM »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »
Yeager and Evans
Year 2525
WHOOPS ! I was only off by 303 years  pi1eOn...After their one hit, I believe Yeager became a racecar driver and Evens a right fielder for the Red Sox  ;D

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 01:19:12 PM »
Yeager and Evans
Year 2525

Zager and Evans, but who really knows...it WAS the 60s, after all.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 02:41:09 PM »
The way things and society are going, on-field officials will be extinct long before the end of this century. There will be ball retrievers/spotters, being told where to spot the ball via "spotter comm" radios, or on a video display. Won't need a chain crew. When a foul is seen, "the booth" will press a button and ring of red lights on the face of the upper grandstands will be lit. A liaison on each sideline will explain the options to each coach, and relay their decision to "the booth." Then a mysterious AI voice will announce the foul and the penalty. An AI clock operator will automatically start and stop the clock, based on events happening on the field, and information from "the booth."
All by 2084, I predict. Won't be around to see it.

That is, unless the gambling outfits get full control things. Then, who knows?

I wish I could disagree with you, but unfortunately the way we're going, your predictions are inevitable, if not well before 1984, at least for NCAA & NFL, although for some it reaches down to NFHS and even Youth programs, albeit at a lesser scale.

Gambling is by far, the most dangerous threat. Gambling is pernicious and will inevitably destroy what we know as "Honest Sports".  We allowed this monster to crawl under the sheets with us centuries ago and it has gotten progressively & consistently better at destroying the necessity of keeping competitive sporting events "honest".  Legalizing Sports Betting is by far, the death knell of competitive competition, which is utterly dependent on the consistent, honest & reasonable application of fair and impartial rules governing all participants equally.  Unfortunately, Gambling has a permanently corrosive, yet sadly temporary and entertaining, effect on everything it touches.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 03:58:18 PM »
Even without gambling, IMHO, the NIL and the transfer portal is killing college sports. Meant to be recreational activities for students seeking an education, offering scholarships caused the first chip in the foundation of amateur sports. But, at least for a good number of decades, students-athletes were expected to attend class, and monitored. Gradually, those expectations and monitoring slipped to the point that the percentage of annual graduates dropped to a shameful number. That was the second HUGE chip. Along came the transfer portal, allowing athletes to change institutions annually, if not more often, initially, to seek higher profile programs, by which to improve their draft potential for professional sports. HUGE chip number 3. Then, the NIL gave them even more incentive to move from highest bidder to highest bidder. The foundation is on the brink of collapse.
You may think that the schools aren't paying these kids, and, technically, they aren't. But, every Power 5 institution has created an internal group to court donors for their athletes to promote their products/services, even though, in many, many cases, very passively, i.e., the athlete does not have to do anything except let the donor include their photo in promotional material. One local Power 5 school was able to secure a $25,000/year NIL deal for every member of their women's basketball team. And they are only mildly competitive in their conference. Move on to men's basketball and football, and those guys are striking individual multi-million dollar deals. Go to class? Hahahahahahahaha. Get a degree? Why? The next liberal move is to totally devalue college degrees, by no longer requiring degrees for positions that NEED degreed employees. I expect that many states will eliminate the requirement for licensed professionals to be degreed to obtain a license for their fields, like engineers, architects, heaven forbid - even physicians ???

I was born 20 years too soon.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 08:26:20 PM by ElvisLives »

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 06:21:25 PM »
Back to the original topic, there are a few interesting things to note in the document posted on arbiter today. I’m wondering if the same changes will go into effect for regular replay games.

1. Coaches can apparently now challenge a play for targeting. How many coaches are going to lose their challenge because they still don’t understand what is or isn’t targeting?

2. There are apparently challenge flags to be thrown now? Not a big deal, but I’m not sure what the point of a challenge flag is if they still have to call a timeout to throw it.

As for non-D1 games, I’m sure there will be conference specific guidance coming if this passes. But even if your conference schools don’t use it, you might want to start learning Rule 12 because full replay is used in playoffs.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 07:21:58 PM by Legacy Zebra »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 07:05:18 PM »
Even without gambling, IMHO, the NIL and the transfer portal is killing college sports. Meant to be recreational activities for students seeking an education, offering scholarships caused the first chip in the foundation of amateur sports. But, at least for a good number of decades, students-athletes were expected to attend class, and monitored. Gradually, those expectations and monitoring slipped to the point that the percentage of annual graduates dropped to a shameful number. That was the second HUGE chip. Along came the transfer portal, allowing athletes to change institutions annually, if not more often, initially, to seek higher profile programs, by which to improve their draft potential for professional sports. HUGE chip number 3. Then, the NIL gave them even more incentive to move from highest bidder to highest bidder. The foundation is on the brink of collapse.
You may think that the schools aren't paying these kids, and, technically, they aren't. But, every Power 5 institution has created an internal group to court donors for their athletes to promote their products/services, even though, in many, many cases, very passively, i.e., the athlete does not have to anything except let the donor include their photo in promotional material. One local Power 5 school was able to secure a $25,000/year NIL deal for every member of their women's basketball team. And they are only mildly competitive in their conference. Move on to men's basketball and football, and those guys are striking individual multi-million dollar deals. Go to class? Hahahahahahahaha. Get a degree? Why? The next liberal move is to totally devalue college degrees, by no longer requiring degrees for positions that NEED degreed employees. I expect that many states will eliminate the requirement for licensed professionals to be degreed to obtain a license for their fields, like engineers, architects, heaven forbid - even physicians ???

I was born 20 years too soon.
My premature birth goes WAY beyond 20 years, but your assessment of the Portal Transfer seems accurate.  If there was ever an idea that turns athletic SCHOLARSHIPS into a modern "meat market", this is it.  Greed has always been one of humanity's biggest threats, this policy only adds fuel to the fire threatening the basic principle of amateur athletics, and along with the legalization of sports betting, may eventually burn amateur sports down.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 08:13:36 PM »
Zager and Evans, but who really knows...it WAS the 60s, after all.

It is said that if you remember the 60’s, you weren’t really a part of the 60’s
" I don't make the rules coach!"