Author Topic: Saints pass interference non-call  (Read 5930 times)

Offline OSU65

• FAN REACTION: +65534/-2
Saints pass interference non-call
« on: January 21, 2019, 08:39:43 PM »
Can someone provide an impartial analysis of why this was not pass interference and/or leading with the helmet? I have no dog in this hunt, and don't watch any pro sports. I saw this on a pop-up page, and as a non-official I just can't see why there was not a penalty called on someone on this play.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rams-beat-saints-refs-miss-pass-interference-nickell-robey-coleman-2019-1

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Re: Saints pass interference non-call
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:47 PM »
Because at the end of the previous play, the Umpire gave the Judges his last Snickers Bars. They were in between bites on the play and had chocolate on their hands. The chocolate caused their fingers to slip off their flags...hence the no call due to a last minute chocolate fix.

OK, OK ... their bookie called with a kidnap threat for their daughters.

OK, OK, unseen in the stands in their direct line of view Victoria Secrets models ripped off their shirts and went topless.

No? I give up.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 09:16:35 PM »
It wasn't in the script.   Didn't you know these games are like WWE?  Everything is predetermined.  ;D

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »
Officials make mistakes, just like players do. It may be that the helmet part was simply missed and the covering official thought that the pass itself was uncatchable (it really wasn't, IMO).

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:23:02 AM »
Officials make mistakes, just like players do. It may be that the helmet part was simply missed and the covering official thought that the pass itself was uncatchable (it really wasn't, IMO).
what he said...

Offline justbill13

• FAN REACTION: +2/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 09:45:47 AM »
Regarding a no call on leading with the helmet (because that's the easy one).

First contact is with the hands and it is in fact a push/shove that knocks the receiver down.  The defender does not lead with the crown of his helmet or any of the other indicators for a targeting type call.

I hate the term helmet to helmet because there is helmet to helmet contact on every play.  That does not make it illegal helmet contact or targeting.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:14:36 AM »
Let's hope this doesn't push the door open to a slippery slope. There was a clamor from the Monday Morning QBs to expand replay challenges to include PI calls/non-calls. To open the door to subjective calls may not have an ending, with the potential of holding calls/non-calls being challenged....where would it stop. Your opinions ??

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:53:59 AM »
Football was played for more than 6 decades without replay.  Were those games officiated perfectly?  Of course not.  But the games were played and, winners, and a championship, decided, nonetheless.  Leave replay alone (or get rid of it), and, if incorrect decisions are made by human officials, so be it.  No doubt there will be some "accountability" for errors.  But leave it at that. 
Let the games go on, played and officiated by humans.  Don't change the game with excess technology.

My opinion only.

Robert

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:54:32 AM »
Pacifying a small, but always vocal, segment of spectators by adjusting the rules of the game to accommodate endless arguments, seems a foolish and counterproductive effort that would be likely to ONLY acknowledge and extend subjective disagreements endlessly.

As suggested before, the problem is NOT that we have an increase in people eager to demonstrate bad behavior, rather we DO have a serious growing problem with the number of, otherwise rational people, who are willing to tolerate, excuse and indulge those few committed to bad behavior acting out, usually as a means to garner attention.   

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
Honestly looking at this play from some of the different angles in real time makes it seem bang bang and I can understand the officials no call.  Other angles it’s obviously pass interference.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:29:49 PM by Derek Teigen »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
Football was played for more than 6 decades without replay.  Were those games officiated perfectly?  Of course not.  But the games were played and, winners, and a championship, decided, nonetheless.  Leave replay alone (or get rid of it), and, if incorrect decisions are made by human officials, so be it.  No doubt there will be some "accountability" for errors.  But leave it at that. 
Let the games go on, played and officiated by humans.  Don't change the game with excess technology.

My opinion only.

Robert

Totally agree, Robert. Using our technology to determine "did the ball touch the player/line/whatever" is objective and one thing. Using our high tech to determine what subjective penalties should/shouldn't be called is totally something else. With our technology, we could probably develop computers programming potentially successful plays, even providing half time speeches with a ranging from : Knute Rockne's "Win one for the Gipper" to Animal House's Bluto's "Why did the Germans bomb Perl Harbor.." . QB's helmets could have honing device that could direct his head toward open receivers. Canned applause/laughter/boos have been around since the I Love Lucy days, and fans wouldn't be needed.....WHOOPS...how would the teams replace ticket revenues ????

.....time for a clam broth martini  :puke:

Offline RD88

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
Agreed, Robert. 
We may see when NFL games are officiated from a Control Center with striped guys shagging footballs.  :'(

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »

.....time for a clam broth martini  :puke:

Sorry Ralph, Put down that martini!  Sounds like you've gone over your limit.

Offline BIG DON

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +43/-10
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
I have a ideal
Lets do away with all on the field officials let big brother officiate the game
and since the camera does not lie if a player commits a foul then issue him a fine as well
and if a fight occurs on the field the players that are involved gets a 5 year suspension
and the teams involved gets a 2 year suspension
remember cameras don't lie, and you would never have to worry about technology failing 
Guys I am be facetious so lets not get in a uproar

I have never liked replay the game is played by humans it should be officiated by humans
Players make mistakes
Coaches make mistakes
Officials make mistakes
games will never be prefect if games were prefect then we have no winners or losers as scores will be tied

do or do not there is no try

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 07:24:37 PM »
Let's hope this doesn't push the door open to a slippery slope. There was a clamor from the Monday Morning QBs to expand replay challenges to include PI calls/non-calls. To open the door to subjective calls may not have an ending, with the potential of holding calls/non-calls being challenged....where would it stop. Your opinions ??

Guys:
The CFL allows replay challenges on OPI and DPI.  Does anyone have an opinion on how it has worked for the time the option has been in effect?  Could it work in the NFL?