Author Topic: Legal Jump?  (Read 6039 times)

Offline clyde

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Legal Jump?
« on: August 29, 2016, 07:13:10 PM »

Offline SCHSref

• FAN REACTION: +15/-10
  • In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king
Re: Legal Jump?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 07:40:15 PM »
Not in high school...hurdling
If you didn't see it, you can't call it

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:52:09 PM »
I want to agree with you, SCHSref, but it wasn't feet/knees foremost. He went head/back first in a high jump style flip.

It should be illegal, but I don't think it is.

Offline clyde

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »
What does the knees foremost look like ? Knees in front of torso while jumping?

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:03:52 PM »
What does the knees foremost look like ? Knees in front of torso while jumping?

From here

Not really feet forward like a hurdler at a track meet, but tuck your feet under you until you have to land.

NJOfficial

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:44:01 PM »
Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet.

It's not hurdling.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:55:34 PM »
Hurdling is an attempt by a player to jump (hurdle) with one or both feet or knees foremost over an opponent who is contacting the ground with no part of his body except one or both feet .

It's not hurdling.
Disagree. You provided the definition. That's exactly what he did. Stop the tape at 0:27.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

NJOfficial

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:26:21 PM »
Disagree. You provided the definition. That's exactly what he did. Stop the tape at 0:27.

I have to disagree.  He leads with his head/shoulders over the opponent, not his foot or feet.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 10:10:51 PM »
This is not a hurdle.  By rule, a hurdle must lead with feet or knees.  He did neither.  This was more of a dive as he lead with his shoulder/head.  Great athletic move.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
This wouldn't register on my "Hey -- he can't do that!" radar.  Legal play.

Offline The Roamin' Umpire

• FAN REACTION: +30/-16
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 07:21:20 AM »
This wouldn't register on my "Hey -- he can't do that!" radar.  Legal play.

Interestingly, I've got the reverse problem - this would have twigged my "that's not legal!" sense... I'm not sure I would have remembered the "leading with feet or knees" clause and probably would have had a flag. (Oops.) Glad it came up here.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 08:13:55 AM »
He did not go feet first.  This play is not hurdling.

Offline J12

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
       I agree that this is NOT hurdling because his is not leading with his feet or knees. 

But let's tweak the scenario a little bit.  If he did lead with his feet or knees (like a hurdler) I'm thinking it would be hurdling.  The other condition to be met is that the defender is contacting the ground with only one or both feet. The defender here clearly only has feet on the ground so it would be hurdling. But does it matter at all that the defender is low to ground even if only his feet are actually on the ground. I know it's your job as an official to apply the rules and the rules seem clear.  But is there a point where the defender is so low to the ground (even though no body part other than feet are actually touching the ground) that you would not call hurdling.

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 08:58:36 AM »
       I agree that this is NOT hurdling because his is not leading with his feet or knees. 

But let's tweak the scenario a little bit.  If he did lead with his feet or knees (like a hurdler) I'm thinking it would be hurdling.  The other condition to be met is that the defender is contacting the ground with only one or both feet. The defender here clearly only has feet on the ground so it would be hurdling. But does it matter at all that the defender is low to ground even if only his feet are actually on the ground. I know it's your job as an official to apply the rules and the rules seem clear.  But is there a point where the defender is so low to the ground (even though no body part other than feet are actually touching the ground) that you would not call hurdling.
No, the defender's body posture should be irrelevant.  If the defender has nothing other than one or two feet on the ground, you cannot jump over him with the feet or knees foremost over him.  It is a dangerous play for both the runner and the defender and doesn't belong in high school. 

That being said, if a defender is laid out and diving at the feet of a runner and the runner skips over him, I might rule that the defender was airborne or had a knee touching the ground.  It is such a quickly developing play and it is very hard to see every element of it.

However, in this play, I don't think it is hurdling.   It is just a tremendously athletic play.

Offline SouthGARef

• FAN REACTION: +10/-16
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 10:46:10 AM »
Legal

Offline riffraft

• FAN REACTION: +18/-19
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »
Interestingly, I've got the reverse problem - this would have twigged my "that's not legal!" sense... I'm not sure I would have remembered the "leading with feet or knees" clause and probably would have had a flag. (Oops.) Glad it came up here.

Yes, that was my first response, not legal. Then you think about it