Author Topic: TASO Test  (Read 25164 times)

Offline ETXZebra

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
TASO Test
« on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »
The first set of tests is on the website. Good luck!

rickref

Re: TASO Test
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
I just went and did not see any. I wonder if they are just messing with the site.

Offline Getting Fat

• FAN REACTION: +5/-6
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:33:03 AM »
it is available through the members portal

refereebrent

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
I finished the test about 11:00 last night. I was suprised it was put up before the state meeting.
Well, that is one less thing I need to get done before the season starts!

Offline backjudge85

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 03:08:14 PM »
You must log into the football members portal and the link will on the right hand side of the page.  The test will be available through August 21 and will change periodically.  Enjoy.

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:03 PM »
OK, given the fact that the writers don't have spell check, and a couple of rules numbers were not correct, an easy test. I made a 94 with out the book and took only 18 minutes.
IMO, if you can't pass this test you don't need to be calling football in Texas. Back in the "old days" when we had 100 questions it was much more tricky and difficult. I guess it is like all State Test, we dumb it down to get higher scores.

Offline slo8140

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »
OK. I am a little frustrated this afternoon. I logged on to the TASO site last week and pulled up the current test...at the time it was Group 1 test 2. I clicked the finish later and submit. It gave me the pop-up that my work would be saved for later and then gave me the page cannot be displayed page...so I had to shut down ie to get back into the TASO site.  Before I did the finish later I did a cut a paste and then printed the test. I like to take it on paper.

I finished the test a few minutes ago and went to enter my answers....I no longer have access to group 1 test 2 on the site. The only test I have access to now is group 2 test 3. I have taken my test this way for several years...both in FB and baseball. In the past when you clicked the finish later button you would maintain access to that test until you finished it. If a new test was released in the meantime you would also have access to the new test.

While I know that taking another test will not hurt me...besides the time it will take. I am upset that it does not appear that I will know if my answers are correct of not on this test I have already taken.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could get this test scored? I have never liked the TASO site...now I like it less.

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
The same happened to me. It is frustrating, but oh well.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
A good example of why TASO needs to move to a better web site host.  Intra focus is not that great in my opinion.

Offline williebe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-12
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
I know a real good IT guy who could make all these headaches go away.

Offline slo8140

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
I called TASO and Mike said he was going to try and see if the test could get reposted. I knew I was not the only one that had this happen.

It would be one thing if they post a deadline to finish each test, but they did not.

CenTexTM

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
Is it permissible to ask here about specific questions on the TASO test?  In reviewing some of the questions, there are things that just seem... not right.  Usually when that's the case there's a big learning point hiding somewhere for me, but on a few questions in particular I can't seem to uncover it.

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
I wouldn't think there would be a problem with one or two q's, heck there are at least two q's that have been scored incorrectly on each test so far anyway....  the CFO test is discussed in depth here, the idea should be to learn things you don't know.

Now if someone posted all the answers that might be a bit excessive... :)   jmo

CenTexTM

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Alright, here goes a couple that have stumped me, then:

Team A has gained the line to gain and is awarded a new series, 1st and 10. Team A commits a dead ball taunting foul before the ready to play signal. Ruling: 1st & 10 after a 15 yd penalty.

I chose True, relying on 5-2-7.  Apparently it is false, but I'm not sure why. 

The game is stopped for an injured player. The player may remain in the game if the team is charged a timeout in the interval between downs or the period ends.

This is apparently True, although 3-3-5 would seem to indicate that the player must remain out of the game for at least one down.

I eagerly await the wisdom of the collective.   ???

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Sounds like either a computer glitch or a glitch in the key.  I agree with your answers

CenTexTM

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2011, 10:25:14 PM »
Thanks... the others I missed I went back and learned from, but these were just causing me heartburn.

Offline slo8140

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
The key was wrong on one I missed as well. How hard is it for them to get the test right? Happens every year and not just in football.

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »
there is/was one test with a question where there was no question.  you just had a 50/50 shot of being right or wrong.

^no

There have been references to rules that have changed (meaining that the questions were written against the 09-10 book) some that are flat out wrong like the ones seen above.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 09:38:20 AM by fencewire »

rickref

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
I am seeing several issues on the tests I took today where they did not have correct answers for rule changes. One was just flat wrong period. Not even a rule change.

Offline QAfta

• FAN REACTION: +2/-2
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
Every year we seem to have this same problem with a few questions with the wrong answer in the key. 

Can we get a few more people to check the key(s)?  (One does not seem to be enough, if that many.)

Or better yet, instead of just putting the correct answer on the "graded" sheet they put the Rule/UIL exception/ Machanics page on the line with the answer.  Maybe that will make them double check their answer, or at least let us discuss the thinking behind the answer.

Just a thought. 

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
Team A has gained the line to gain and is awarded a new series, 1st and 10. Team A commits a dead ball taunting foul before the ready to play signal. Ruling: 1st & 10 after a 15 yd penalty.

I chose True, relying on 5-2-7.  Apparently it is false, but I'm not sure why. 
I've seen this enforcement happen and this is exactly what the correct call was. I dont understand how this is false, but if that's how it was graded for you, im answering False!

The game is stopped for an injured player. The player may remain in the game if the team is charged a timeout in the interval between downs or the period ends.

This is apparently True, although 3-3-5 would seem to indicate that the player must remain out of the game for at least one down.
Yeah, didnt they change this last year that you cant "buy back" a player with a TO?

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Yeah, didnt they change this last year that you cant "buy back" a player with a TO?

They cannot 'buy back' with a Timeout but there seems to be an interpretation that if the injury bridges a period break the player can return and so regardless of taking a TO or not if a player is approved by the correct medical person he can play after the change of ends.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
 >:( >:(
So, the same thing happened to me where I saved my test, printed it out, and went back to finish only to find my test group had changed. Now, I have to do this SECOND test as well...

Anyway, I have a question about a question in this group:
On 4th and 10 from the 50, A3's punt is blocked by B76 at the B 45 yard line. The ball, is blocked back over the neutral zone, is picked up by A44 at the A-35. A44 runs to the A-40 where he punts the ball. The bail subsequently goes out of bounds at the B30, untouched after the kick. The second kick is a legal kick.

**EDIT***

@#(%@#$%Q#$^
It happened AGAIN!!!! I've had it, I emailed the district director about this horrible website and test format. Ridiculous!

Anyway, I'm now in test group 3a and ran across these awful questions:
When team A is running the ball out of its own end zone and the ball breaks the plane of the end zone it is not a safety.
I want to say that this is FALSE because according to AR 6-3-1-I. According to rule, the ball should be DEAD behind the LOS and belong to team A, correct? Even if he kicked the ball, since he took possession after the touching beyond LOS, it's team A's ball.

Team A players (the kicking team) are eligible to block Team B once the ball is kicked.

Talk about not giving nearly enough information to answer the question, huh?

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:34:56 PM by clearwall »

Offline slo8140

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 09:19:34 PM »
The best thing now is that we have had a test 3 and a test 3A. They have the same questions, but the correct answers to some of the questions differ between tests. It would be nice if someone in the know from TASO would get on here and let us know what the real answers are.

It is frustrating when you are trying to gain a better understanding of the rules and the test just lead to more confusion. I back TASO all the way, but how hard is it to write a test that is not confusing. They have been at this for a while and it seems to get worse every year.

A little clarification please.

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 09:19:15 AM »
This is the kind of stuff that really makes you wonder what the heck TASO does all day?  I don't mean to throw stones at any one person...I'm told that each district director creates test questions and submits them, but it appears that they aren't edited or proofread very well.  Additionally, there ought to be some sort of redundancy in the proofing of the answer key.  Why 6 different tests--it isn't TAKS?

I'm not sure it would be any better from Manor road...but it sorta binds my shorts to hear all of the talk about chapters doing things by the book (accountability) from TASO...but that standard is missing when we go to take our test.  Sorry if this offends, it is meant not to point fingers, but rather to motivate someone who is "in charge" of this to be better.  We have all been asked to step up since the lawsuit, take the big sub-varsity pay cut with a smile, and be professional.  A clean test from our professional association isn't too much to ask.