Author Topic: Kicking Ball?  (Read 8650 times)

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
Kicking Ball?
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:39 PM »
I worked a game Friday between a SA are school that played a Houston area school.  Before the game, one of the coaches from the Houston area team asked us to check their footballs.  So, my U looked at the footballs and while he was looking at them, the coach says "and this is our kicking ball."  My U and I looked at each other and just laughed.  It actually had a "K" on it. 

I would not think Houston crews are allowing this, but I have to ask the question.  Are you guys allowing a kicking ball or were these guys trying to pull a fast one on us?  The coach sure acted like he was serious.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: Kicking Ball?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:45:54 AM »
We did one between 2 SA schools in Week 1 and one of them also had "K" balls. 

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:44:15 AM »
How are they different?  Do they have stripes and about 13 lbs of air?

Offline gigmax

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 05:49:49 AM »
Every coach will try it.  That is their MO.  They're coaches.  We have it every week here in Houston.  Usually the guy that is in charge of the balls is a junior high coach and he doesn't know any better.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:11:21 AM »
Mike has a good point.  Some area schools still try this but I don't see it very often any longer.  The home school knew better.  But I have to say, the week 0 game I had, the kicking tried to bring a ball in with him.  It was funny to see his face when he handed me the ball, and I threw it back to the sideline.

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
So you're an umpire now?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
Although I have the statuesque physique of a U, I'm still a R.  Kicker handed me ball because, believe it or not, he was lining up on the offensive side of the ball.  I know, I was surprised too! 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:33 PM »
Although I have the statuesque physique of a U, I'm still a R.  Kicker handed me ball because, believe it or not, he was lining up on the offensive side of the ball.  I know, I was surprised too!

Don't blame the kicker.  It was you that was standing on the wrong side of the field.  It's ok, even Red Cashion lined up on the wrong side during a Super Bowl.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 01:56:25 PM »
 ^flag

Let me personally assure you that this is not the prescribed standard that Houston TASO Football Officials adhere to. If the ball is properly inflated, it will be approved. If it is not, it will either be returned to the team ball custodian as is, or will be inflated to meet the correct specifications. I am pretty sure that all over this great state of ours, a select number of coaches might very well try to sneak one over on us, no matter what our TASO chapter affiliation might be!   z^

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 02:24:15 PM »
Frankly I do not think the "special" ball is as much for the kicker as it is for the receiver.  They typically try to slip in the most worn out ball they can find as it has no pebble and is slick as ice.  The "thought process" is to make it harder for the receivers to field it.  The ball will be right size and properly inflated, it will just be worn to a "no pebble grain" status

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »
I worked a game Friday between a SA are school that played a Houston area school.  Before the game, one of the coaches from the Houston area team asked us to check their footballs.  So, my U looked at the footballs and while he was looking at them, the coach says "and this is our kicking ball."  My U and I looked at each other and just laughed.  It actually had a "K" on it. 

I would not think Houston crews are allowing this, but I have to ask the question.  Are you guys allowing a kicking ball or were these guys trying to pull a fast one on us?  The coach sure acted like he was serious.

Was the ball legal other than the "K" mark?

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 03:25:33 PM »
Arb - I would not think Houston guys would allow this.  That's why I was surprised.  But, like Mike said, coaches around here try to do that on us occasionally as well, but not often.

Mike - I agree with you!  Kicking teams are doing this to enhance their chance of the receiving team dropping the ball. 

Welpe - It was properly inflated, but obviously a worn ball.  We told the coach if he would like to use the ball the entire series, then he can kick with it.  We never saw the ball because they obviously didn't want to.

Also one other thing to mention, I do not allow the teams to decide when the ball is changed.  That's why officials are out there.  If the teams want to change the ball every down, and it isn't necessary, no way.  My U decides when to swap it out, and every 4th down kicking situation certainly isn't when that becomes necessary.

Oh, and Jason, KMA! LOL

Offline Welpe

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 03:53:02 PM »

Welpe - It was properly inflated, but obviously a worn ball.  We told the coach if he would like to use the ball the entire series, then he can kick with it.  We never saw the ball because they obviously didn't want to.

Thanks I wasn't sure exactly what you were asking was allowed, an illegal ball or a ball marked with a "K" or both.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 04:30:05 PM »
Well.....to be precise...marking the ball with a K makes it an illegal ball.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
True, what I meant was the legality of the ball disregarding the fact it was marked.

GWK

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 08:43:53 AM »
Marking the ball with a K doesn't make the ball illegal.  Having a team bring in a ball designated only to be used for kicks is what should not be allowed.  When I was U, I marked all the balls with a K, since it was my initial.  I did like the idea that you would allow a worn out kicking ball if they were willing to play with it on other downs.  Takes you out of quoting rules and lets the coach know that you know what they are up to.

Speaking of this topic, does anyone know why the NFL specifically brand balls (with a K) for kicks?  I have seen that on a few NFL telecasts and was wondering what is special with that.

Offline fencewire

• FAN REACTION: +20/-74
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »
Having spent a lot of time around college kickers, they like kicking the old worn balls because they are softer or at least that is what I was told, the older the better, this was primarily for practicing but they definitely wanted more worn balls in games too.  Now these were kickers requests not coaches, and they spent a lot more time kicking than HS kickers do, by a long shot and they are definitely not thinking about the other team dropping the ball.

If a coach is pushing it, most likely he is not concerned with the kickers foot and he is exactly trying to get a slick ball out there for the possibility of a mishandled ball.

Make it easy, kick them all out.... Punny ...

Offline TXMike

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Marking the ball with a K doesn't make the ball illegal.  Having a team bring in a ball designated only to be used for kicks is what should not be allowed.  When I was U, I marked all the balls with a K, since it was my initial.  I did like the idea that you would allow a worn out kicking ball if they were willing to play with it on other downs.  Takes you out of quoting rules and lets the coach know that you know what they are up to.

Speaking of this topic, does anyone know why the NFL specifically brand balls (with a K) for kicks?  I have seen that on a few NFL telecasts and was wondering what is special with that.

When a team marks the ball with a K , that DOES make the ball illegal as it is indicating a preference for a specific situation.  That being said, it is a live ball foul and that implies that WE let them play with it.  And that, to me, negates the ability to flag it.  Sort of like when the B and L let a guy make an invalid fair catch signal and then run with the ball for 20 yards where he is tackled and they then realize they should have blown it dead..  No way can they go back and flag late.

As for the NFL K ball...http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/K-ball-provides-equal-footing-/9c71ddb9-5e65-47ce-8651-e0689f6236b9