Author Topic: Under Fed rules would this be the end of the game?  (Read 12983 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Under Fed rules would this be the end of the game?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 09:46:22 AM »
I agree with motive being a factor. I think FLAHL has a good example. I've applied the rule once, in a baseball game. Because of tie-breaker points, one team actually had to lose by X amount of runs to make the playoffs. their pitcher intentionally walked the bases loaded, then threw the ball to the screen on the next play. None of the defenders went after the ball, just stood there and let the runners score. When they tried to intentionally walk the next batter, I called time, awarded a forfeit to the team at bat. Not a popular decision, but I'm still comfortable with it after 18 years..

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »
How about this as a travesty?

A is up 28-0 and wanting to pad their RBs stats. They score and on the kickoff, A players make no attempt to tackle the returner. Now A gets the ball back and can continue to feed the RB. Is that a travesty?

What if A scores again, and does he same thing?

I am not sure that would really be a travesty, but I would think that the requirement to run the offense flawlessly might be applied.  No grace for minor infractions that might otherwise go unpunished in a blowout.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 10:58:46 AM »
interject a little western justice, eh?

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2016, 03:53:18 PM »
Yes. 1 time.

1:00 left 4th quarter. Visiting team losing 14-7. 3rd and 25 from their 30.
Ball is handed off to running back who breaks his run to the left side (visiting team's sidelines).... a mass of people chasing him, but he has clear empty sidelines at least the next 40 yards. He gains 10 yards, the home team chain crew is worried about getting hit, so they drop the chains like they're told to...

About 2 feet of the first orange pole of the chains slides onto the field as the chain is dropped. The running back trips on the chains, stumbles, bumbling, stumbling, is then hit, and falls down at the 49. A 21 yard gain...

We conference - I'm the linesman on the play and state that he would have definitely gained the first down if it weren't for the pole of the chain tripping the running back. I thought a TD was NOT definite or probable given the other players downfield.

So we discuss what to do - replay the down? 3rd and 25? Treat it like an inadvertent whistle 3rd and 4 from the 49? Give the visiting team a 1st and 10 from the 45?

We settled that the fairest thing was 1st and 10 from the 45. Home team coach agreed as well.

Visiting team eventually lost 14-7 anyways.

I think you handled it well, but I wouldn't call that a travesty.

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 04:04:32 PM »
How about this as a travesty?

A is up 28-0 and wanting to pad their RBs stats. They score and on the kickoff, A players make no attempt to tackle the returner. Now A gets the ball back and can continue to feed the RB. Is that a travesty?

What if A scores again, and does he same thing?

This is a youth ball situation so, it is a little different. In this case I think the league's rule forces a team to make a travesty of the game.

When there is a point differential of 24 or more, the clock runs automatically. I think everyone is ok with that. But then there is a rule that if the point differential goes above 35, the winning team is fined $500.

I can't count the number of times I have had plays where one team is just that much better than the other (but that is a whole different story about "drafting). Team A is up by 30 B is on offense and throws a pass that gets intercepted. The interceptor is not a starter he is 2nd or even 3rd team who doesn't get to play a a lot. He has a clear path to the end zone, to score what may be one of the only touchdowns of his so far less than stellar career. But the coaches scream at him to go out of bounds, or worse, fumble the ball, so that they do not incur the penalty.

Or same situation A is up 30 and on offense. 3rd team running back takes the hand off and breaks free. He has to "pretend" to trip, or fall down or run out of bounds to avoid the fine.

THAT is a travesty. But it is on the league, not the team.

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »
Great story.

Just to pad RB's stats I'd give coach warning on second "allowed" TD then forfeit game on third. I'd trust the governing state league office would take issue w/ coaches decision, and hopefully, level severe punishment.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2016, 10:33:54 AM »
Odd.

So in the NFL, if a team punts the ball with 1 second left, time expires on the punt, and the punt is then downed by the kicking team (i.e. first touching), the receivers get one last play?

I can see this exact scenario then:

AFC Championship: Raiders ahead of New England 15-13 with :04 on the clock. 4th and 10 from their 5 yard line. Raiders can't concede a safety, so they punt... knowing that they can't just punt in the air and let New England fair catch it, (fair catch field goal rule), Raiders punt it short of the deep receiver, it hits the ground, bounces around a bit, touches a Raider player at the 35, then New England recovers at the 40. Clock reads :00. Oh, look - referees conferencing - New England gets a free play to kick a scrimmage field goal at the first touching spot, the 35. New England kicks a 52 yard field goal and wins 16-15.
a FOOTBALL STORY WITH A HAPPY ENDING!! tR:oLl

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
"The period may be extended for a 'first touching' violation" (Rule 4-8-2b-(1)).

Actually a good rule I think the NCAA should adopt.