Author Topic: Move to NCAA Officiating  (Read 2669 times)

CEngel

Move to NCAA Officiating
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »
I am hoping to move to NCAA Officiating and looking to get a jump on the NCAA 7 man mechanics.  How does the TASO Mechanics Manual compare to the NCAA Mechanics Manual?  If I become familiar with the Texas mechanics, will it transfer to the NCAA D2 and D3 level?

Offline hefnerjm

• FAN REACTION: +19/-23
  • Everyone needs a student, a mentor, & a friend
Re: Move to NCAA Officiating
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 11:07:14 AM »
From what Ive heard, the Texas manuals are out of sync with a few items from CCA and are pending review/update.

Id suggest just getting up to speed on the CCA 7 and 8 man manuals. (2015 is most recent I could find)
http://www.sefoa.net/uploads/8/4/5/4/84548976/7-man_cca_mechanics_2015.pdf

Also, this thread:
http://www.refstripes.com/forum/index.php?topic=11762.0
Coach: "I've been doing this 30 years!  I know the rules!"
Ref: "Are you married coach?"
Coach (suddenly offguard): "umm...yeah, why?"
Ref: "I've been married 30 years and my wife says there is still room for improvement"
Coach: "<silence>"

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: Move to NCAA Officiating
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 02:43:12 PM »
Obviously, one of the biggest is that TX HS doesn't switch sides at half time. Also, the TASO manual has B take #2 in a trips formation with the short wing taking #3, whereas in CCA B takes #3 and the wing has #2. I haven't worked much Texas 7 man, but I think everything else is pretty minor. Also, if you're looking at the 8 man stuff, know that they changed C's position for scoring kicks. They moved him back into the offensive backfield this last year. The R faces the holder and C goes to the opposite side and has the T and TE to his side. U still has C-G-C and S has T & TE on R's side. On punts C is primary on the shield. C also has goal line on all changes of possession now, including scoring kick attempts.