Author Topic: Fouls on try  (Read 1162 times)

Offline copedaddy

• FAN REACTION: +6/-6
Fouls on try
« on: October 29, 2020, 07:08:32 AM »
On going discussion on this type of play.  On an unsuccessful try attempt, Team B has a live ball personal foul and then a dead ball UNS. What are the enforcement options for team A?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Fouls on try
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:37:21 AM »
When the try is unsuccessful, Team A can accept the penalty and repeat the try, or they can decline the penalty and end the try. If the try is repeated, then, by rule, the dead-ball UNS by B is also penalized on the repeat of the try - it may not be enforced at the succeeding kickoff, or succeeding spot in an extra period.
However, if Team A declines the live-ball foul, the try is over, and then the dead-ball UNS by B may be enforced at the succeeding kickoff, or at the succeeding spot in extra periods. Depending on time and score, Team A just might choose this option.

Several rule references: 8-3-3-b-1, 8-3-3-d-2, 8-3-5. And AR 8-3-3-I.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Fouls on try
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 08:24:36 AM »
Rules referenced, for everyone's reading pleasure (and hopefully my recall and comprehension)

8-3-3-B
b. Fouls by Team B on a try:
1. When the try is successful Team A shall have the option of declining the score and repeating the try after enforcement, or declining the penalty(ies) and accepting the score. Team A may accept the score with penalties for personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls enforced on the succeeding kickoff or from the succeeding spot in extra periods (A.R. 3-2-3-VI; A.R. 8-3-2-II; A.R. 8-3-3-I; and A.R. 10-2-5-IX-XI).

8-3-3-D-2
Penalties for live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls occurring during the try down are enforced on the succeeding kickoff or from the succeeding spot in extra periods. If the try is replayed, these penalties are enforced on the replay (Rule 10-1-6) (A.R. 3-2-3-VII).

8-3-5
Fouls After a Try
ARTICLE 5. Penalties for fouls occurring after a try are enforced on the succeeding kickoff or from the succeeding spot in extra periods. However, if the try is repeated, these penalties are enforced before the repeat (Rule 10-1-6) (A.R. 10-2-5-XIII-XV and A.R. 3-2-3-VII).

Approved Ruling 8-3-3
I. During a try attempt, Team A’s legal kick, untouched and in the air, has crossed the neutral zone when a foul occurs. RULING: If the foul is by Team A and the try is unsuccessful, and Team B does not gain possession, the try ends. If the foul is by Team A and the try is successful, the penalty is at the previous spot. If the foul is by Team B and the try is successful, score the point unless Team A chooses to accept the penalty and attempt a two-point play. The try is exempt from postscrimmage kick enforcement. Penalties for Team B personal fouls on a successful try may be enforced on the subsequent kickoff or at the succeeding spot in extra periods. If the try is unsuccessful,  Team A may accept the penalty and the down will be repeated.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 08:28:09 AM by dammitbobby »