Author Topic: WAC Reviewing Hit  (Read 12490 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
WAC Reviewing Hit
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
Maybe I am missing something here but I don't see the problem.

[yt=425,350]pMxb31NIn4Q[/yt]

From the Salt Lake Tribune:

WAC is "reviewing" hit that put BYU's Romney Fuga out for the season
Published on Sep 27, 2010 03:44PM  2 Comments
The Western Athletic Conference is aware of the block that Nevada offensive lineman John Bender made on BYU's Romney Fuga on Saturday that resulted in a season-ending injury for Fuga, conference spokesperson Jason Erickson said Monday afternoon.
Erickson said commissioner Karl Benson and director of officials Jim Blackwood were reviewing tape of the incident Monday afternoon and would have a decision on whether they will sanction Bender either later today or early Tuesday morning.
"They are definitely aware of it," Erickson said.
The play in question happened in the second quarter of BYU's 27-13 loss to Nevada, a member of the WAC.
Bender hit Fuga below the waist and from the side or back.
BYU announced Monday morning that an MRI on Fuga on Sunday showed a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and lateral collateral ligament (LCL) and will require season-ending surgery.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall said the hit was "not a positive football play" after the game on Saturday. Bender did not draw a penalty for the hit. Mendenhall said he asked five different officials about it, but all five said they didn't see it.

As Fuga lay on the ground writhing in pain, several Nevada players egged on the crowd as it lustily booed the play and the lack of a flag from officials.

Mendenhall said in Monday's news conference that BYU would submit a tape of the play for review, but did not say which conference that tape would be submitted to.
"The normal protocol any time a play is in question is we submit those plays to a head of officials, and they review them and make a determination. So we will follow the exact same protocol that we normally do," Mendenhall said.
Later, the coach was asked if had been contacted by Nevada coach Chris Ault and what he would do if one of his linemen did what Bender did.
"I haven't been contacted. We promote sportsmanship in our program, and clean play. Not always is it reflected on the field, emphasized by how a coach teaches. Sometimes players just do what they do, and I am not going to make decision for coach Ault, nor really address what I would do other than re-emphasize sportsmanship," he said.

The game was officiated by a "consortium" of officials from several conferences.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 05:35:31 AM by TXMike »

ABoselli

Re: WAC Revieiwing Hit
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:10:44 PM »
If a player got hurt, then it must have been illegal, right?

I wonder if he actually saw the film before he said what he said. If he had, then I'm disappointed in him.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »
Would almost certainly have been an Illegal Block in the Back had he hit him high, but by diving low he managed to get his head and shoulders just "ahead" of the team B player and makes contact directly on the side of the knee with the upper back of his shoulder pads (just above the number 2).

IMO technically right on the edge but probably legal.  Certainly 100% against the intent of the rule which tries to prohibit low blocks from behind.  More ammunition for those who argue that it's almost impossible to word the low blocking rules to prevent all of the "blind side" low hits that can do the kind of damage that resulted from this block.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:38 PM »
Let's just put them in tutus and make it two hand touch.

The block was legal, it wasn't even "on the edge" of illegal.  The block was not from behind, the BYU player's knee goes into the #62 on the back of the Nevada lineman.

ACL's tear with no contact at all.  So just because there was a torn ACL doesn't mean it was an illegal or even cheap shot.  And I'll bet dollars to donuts that Fuga wasn't wearing a DonJoy or other similar prophylactic knee brace as many linemen do.

I've had 5 knee surgeries and no longer have an MCL in my right knee.  It happens. 

Just because someone got a knee blown out doesn't make all low blocks illegal.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:59:20 PM »
That block was completely legal. If they want that play out of the game then they need to go the Fed route and ban virtually all low blocks.

KB

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:05:40 AM »
During clinics, I tell officials that above the waist, "from behind" is a very small area, just as wide as the numbers on the jersey. Below the waist, "from behind" is everything that starts at the sides. I'd like to have our guys throw a flag on blocks like this one.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 05:34:48 AM »

The other side of the story from a Nevada newspaper,  Reno Gazzette-Journal.
The "Ault" quoted here is Nevada's coach, Chris Ault.

Bender's season-ending
block against BYU criticized

By Chris Murray • September
28, 2010

A controversial block by Nevada offensive lineman
John Bender in the Wolf Pack's game against BYU on
Saturday has ended the season of one Cougars
player.

During the first half of the game, Bender cut blocked
BYU defensive tackle Romney Fuga from the side on
a screen pass. Fuga immediately collapsed and was
helped off the field. An MRI revealed Fuga has a torn
anterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral
ligament.

Bender said Monday he didn't think it was a dirty
play and that he had sent Fuga -- the cousin of Pack
running back Vai Taua -- a message wishing him a
speedy recovery.

"I've had a lot of negative publicity sent my way, a
lot of hate mail," Bender said. "If that's what they
want to do, that's what they want to do. I feel bad
about what happened. I wish him the best. I've
already sent him a message telling him I'm going to
pray for him and hope that he recovers fast."

BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall was clearly unhappy
about the block after the game.

"I thought it was not a positive football play,"
Mendenhall said. "I am not going to point out any
young man's fault, etc., but it was away from the
play, and it was below the waist, and to me it looked
like it was from behind."

Although Bender was not penalized on the play, Ault
said a flag should have been thrown.

"It was a clip. There's no question about it," Ault
said. "John didn't do it on purpose. It was a reaction t
o a screen pass, and it should have been called. ...
There's nobody sicker than John Bender, but that is
a reaction to a play that happened. He thought the
guy had a chance to (make the tackle). He took an
angle and clipped him."

Bender said he thought it was a clean block.
"I thought I got across his face," Bender said. "I
thought he knew I was there. I threw the block and
could see the side of his eyes and I got on the front
part of his knee. I was always told that if you hit on
the front part, you'll be fine. It was a questionable
call, obviously. Everybody had an opinion on what
they thought."

The WAC confirmed it was reviewing the play to see
if further punishment was appropriate.

Offline Welpe

Re: WAC Reviewing Hit
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
Has Coach Mendenhall seen the tape?  This block was not away from the play, it was right at the point of attack and opened up a route for the runner.  Yes it was below the waist but again, what is the problem with that?

Offline ref6983

• FAN REACTION: +2/-33
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
This is a peel back block that was made illegal in the NFL several years ago. Legal now in NCAA, but expect it to be made illegal next year.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
Hate to see anyone get hurt but getting hurt doesn't make it a foul.  Good aggressive play by #62 in my book (NCAA 09-10).   WAC should come out quickly to support a no call on that play.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 05:54:55 AM »
Follow up from the Salt Lake Tribune:

No sanctions on Nevada's low-blocking lineman from WAC

The Western Athletic Conference will not take any disciplinary action against Nevada senior offensive lineman John Bender for his below-the-waist block on BYU's Romney Fuga that ended the Cougar nose tackle's season, a WAC spokesperson said Tuesday afternoon.
"It was ruled as not being flagrant and no further action will be taken," said Jason Erickson, WAC director of media relations.
Erickson told The Tribune on Monday that WAC commissioner Karl Benson and supervisor of officials Jim Blackwood were reviewing the incident.
The conference will have no further comment on the matter.
Nevada coach Chris Ault spoke Monday as if he would not sanction Bender either, calling the low block a clipping penalty that should have been called, but wasn't.
Fuga suffered tears to two ligaments in his knee on the play and will need surgery. He is out for the remainder of the 2010 season. BYU coaches hope he can return in time for the 2011 season.
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said he submitted tape of the play to conference officials on Monday, but that there was nothing else he could do about the incident that left the Cougars without one of their best defensive players.
Tuesday, Mendenhall said Fuga will be difficult to replace, if not impossible.
"I don't think the void is fill-able, as Romney played the postiion through the first three games and a quarter this year. He was playing as good as any nose tackle that I have coached before.
But maybe even more than that, just his consistency and his dedication in really embracing the culture of our team. And he is one of the more experienced players on our team that has played quite a bit and knows what it is like, and knows what the expectations are.
That part could be missed maybe even more than his play."

--------------------

Nevada's Ault said on Monday that Bender was sickened by the result of his actions and was remorseful that it happened.
However, Bender wrote the following on his Twitter account: "No flag, no foul."
------------------------------------

It is obvious that Mendenhall is still upset over the block that has sidelined nose tackle Romney Fuga for the season. He said he sent the clip in, but got the word back that no sanctions will be taken against Nevada lineman John Bender.
"Well, I sent the clip in to our head of officials, and they ruled it a legal block. Not illegal. A legal block. They said it was from the side, and it was legal. So they looked at film from all different angles, and they said it was a legal block, and didn't see any reason for sanctions," Mendenhall said.
Told by radio personality Hans Olsen that he should send it back and demand they look at it again, Mendenhall looked at the ground and said, hmmm.
++++++++++++++++++++++++
And from the Nevada newspaper (Reno Gazette Journal):

BENDER'S BLOCK DEEMED CLEAN
Nevada offensive lineman John Bender is not facing any disciplinary action from the WAC for his block of BYU's Romney Fuga that resulted in Fuga's season-ending injury, Nevada spokesman Chad Hartley said.
Hartley said he had been in contact with the WAC office and was told that the conference reviewed tape of the play and determined the block was not deemed to be flagrant and no action would be taken.
And despite the fact that Pack coach Chris Ault called the block a clip and said Bender should have been flagged for it, assistant coach Cameron Norcross said today that the Big 12, whose officiating crew worked the game, reviewed tape of the play and deemed the block clean and legal.
Bender, a senior guard, went low to block Fuga, a junior defensive tackle, during the Wolf Pack's 27-13 win at BYU on Saturday. Fuga suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament on the play.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:06:02 AM by TXMike »

The Ref Thats Lef

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:58 PM »
Quite a few senior NCAA people have been asking for blocking below the waist to be made illegal. This sort of thing gives them plenty of ammunition. I just hope they do not add this to the already confusing mess that is the rule on when you can and cannot block low.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 05:39:50 PM »
My speech:

- To say that this block is "clean" is plain and simple BS - It's legal by the letter of the rules no more, no less.
- The Denver Broncos (coached by Mike "Let's intimidate the D-line" Shanahan) made this block so famous they regularly got fined for it until it was finally made illegal in the NFL.
- IMO this block is 100% against the intent of all of the safety criteria and low block rules that are CLEARLY intended to make SURE that the block is truly from the front where the blockee has a reasonable chance of seeing it coming.
- This block is "from the front" by definition ONLY, not by any common sense read of the ENTIRE set of rules and guidance regarding player safety.

My $.02 worth.   

It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

ABoselli

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 08:03:05 PM »
I have frozen the replay at different points of the contact and I'm convinced that if this contact was any more from the "side" than it would be from the front.

If you were to put wet paint on the jersey of the blocker, you wouldn't find a speck of it anywhere near the back of the NT's legs. I would propose that most of the paint would be on the front of his left pant leg.

I can't explain the Nevada coach's comments. Quite odd.

ABoselli

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
Dave Parry didn't like this block.

Made the 3rd accountability video.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:12:15 PM »
Then he needs to talk to RR and get a rule change or editorial change to address it

ABoselli

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 06:18:16 PM »
I don't know about you, but if he puts 25 plays up, I find myself kind of baffled by 2 or 3 of them every time.

HAshleyTX

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
Dave Parry didn't like this block.

Does he say it's illegal?

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »
Dave Parry didn't like this block.  Made the 3rd accountability video.

Are the "accountability videos" available for posting, or thru a link?

ABoselli

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 07:24:47 PM »
I was downloading them one by one but was displaced from my "football" computer by my daughter and her homework.

I can try to put it up once I'm allowed back on.........

Offline TXMike

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
Does he say it's illegal?

He said it was a "no call for a clip",  "Illegal low block", "err on the side of safety"

As was said, some of the things on these videos are baffling

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 07:46:50 PM »
I've got some rules that I would like to see changed too, but until they are I'll go by the rulebook we have instead of making stuff up on the fly.  I also don't know how you call something illegal just because it compromises player safety.   Lots of things in the game of football are dangerous for the participants, tackling for instance.  Lots of players are injured by perfectly legal actions.  I applaud the conference for telling it like it is.  Legal under the rules (for now).

Offline TXMike

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:37 PM »
There is another clip on there of a receiver who catches the pass, runs 3 or 4 steps, sees a defender coming, bends over in anticipation of the contact and gets clobbered.  DP said that should have been flagged as a hit on a defenseless receiver.  That seems to be taking it a bit too far.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one that scratches his head at some of Mr. Parry's videos.