Author Topic: Bean Bags on Scrimmage Kicks  (Read 6089 times)

Offline blandis

• FAN REACTION: +3/-4
Bean Bags on Scrimmage Kicks
« on: June 20, 2014, 01:15:43 AM »
Anyone have the NFHS mechanics on bean bag use for scrimmage kick scenarios?

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Bean Bags on Scrimmage Kicks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »
Its in the NFHS Game Officials Manual

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »
In a very generic sense, the beanbag is a tool, suitable for marking a spot on the field, that circumstances dictate you're not able to remain with, and may subsequently need to reference, for any number of reasons.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
On scrimmage kicks, a beanbag is used to mark the spot where the kick ends as it may become a PSK penalty enforcement spot.  BJ is supposed to carry two different colored bean bags.  One is to be used for marking the end of the kick and the other as it would be used on any other down. 

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 07:31:37 AM »
Don't forget first touching - a good reason to have multiple beanbags. Where you may have multiple "first touchings", may I suggest useful tools if you should run out of bean bags : (1) hat; (2) left shoe ; (3) right shoe ; (4) scorecard ; (5) false teeth/hairpiece or any other detachable piece of ones self. Hope this helps ^talk!

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
Re: Re: Bean Bags on Scrimmage Kicks
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 07:52:34 AM »
Don't forget first touching - a good reason to have multiple beanbags. Where you may have multiple "first touchings", may I suggest useful tools if you should run out of bean bags : (1) hat; (2) left shoe ; (3) right shoe ; (4) scorecard ; (5) false teeth/hairpiece or any other detachable piece of ones self. Hope this helps ^talk!

It's unlikely to have multiple spots of first touching. This is why it's good to be a little patient and only worry about the furthest point of first touching. We had a play last year where we had first touching at the K40. The ball bounced back and was KICKED by K at the K38. We had a bag at K40 and a flag at the K38 and initially didn't think of the K38 as a spot of first touching.  The best choice was to take the spot of first touching and we got it right at the K38.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:46 AM »
It's unlikely to have multiple spots of first touching.
MULTIPLE spots of FIRST touching.  Another FED Oxymoron.

I understand they happen, I see them regularly.  But someone didn't name it right! 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
I think the college boys call it illegal touching.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:33:54 AM »
I think the college boys call it illegal touching.
And the NFL goes back to "first touching" on scrimmage kicks.

Offline RGraydonR

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:08:27 PM »
Here's something that helped me.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »
Pretty good document, except for the part that says to bag fumbles by A behind the LOS.  Personally, I don't care if that gets a bag or not, but there are supervisors that will downgrade for that.

The thing that does bother me is an official that thinks he needs to throw the bag at the SPOT of the fumble.  You need the YARD LINE of the fumble.  When you throw the bag at the SPOT, we now have a loose ball, players reaching for it, and a bean bag flying at them.  Not only could it be dangerous, it could get in a player's way, and the chance of you reaching the spot through all of those bodies becomes a problem. Get the yard line, away from the pile.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »
Pretty good document, except for the part that says to bag fumbles by A behind the LOS.  Personally, I don't care if that gets a bag or not, but there are supervisors that will downgrade for that.

The thing that does bother me is an official that thinks he needs to throw the bag at the SPOT of the fumble.  You need the YARD LINE of the fumble.  When you throw the bag at the SPOT, we now have a loose ball, players reaching for it, and a bean bag flying at them.  Not only could it be dangerous, it could get in a player's way, and the chance of you reaching the spot through all of those bodies becomes a problem. Get the yard line, away from the pile.

Agree with you AB, also the closer to the players, the better the chance one will pick it up, hand it to you and say you dropped this.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 11:33:24 PM »

If you do this you do need to make a mental note of where the fumble was in relation to the hash because that will be relevant if you have to use the spot. Exactness is not critical, but it should be fairly close.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk