Author Topic: Anyone have the scoop on this? TN coach disqualified  (Read 20441 times)

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
Re: Anyone have the scoop on this? TN coach disqualified
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 07:53:36 AM »
What action does the R do that is like a baseball umpire?
There is a clip (from the FOX station, I recall) that shows the R giving the baseball "your're-outta-here" toss at the end of the conversation.

FWIW, it was reported in today's morning edition the TSSAA upheld the suspension of the coach, and the official involved will not work another playoff game this year.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »
I've gone back and watched the video again.
What action does the R do that is like a baseball umpire? I can't see him for most of the video, then you see him sort of pushing a coach back and using both hands in a get away gesture.
And the second flag comes from the U - which has to be for something said, since no one was around him at the time to touch him.

Which video has audio of R and the coach?

Both of these links:

http://fox17.com/sports/features/sports-unlimited/stories/ensworth-head-coach-ricky-bowers-ejected-after-win-252.shtml

http://fox17.com/sports/features/sports-unlimited/stories/breaking-tssaa-confirms-ricky-bowers-ejection-ensworth-have-play-state-title-game-without-head-coach-267.shtml

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
FWIW, it was reported in today's morning edition the TSSAA upheld the suspension of the coach, and the official involved will not work another playoff game this year.

And thus the baby was split in half.  Although I imagine there was no guarantee the R was scheduled to work a final anyway.

StudyingFutureZebra

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2013, 10:04:37 AM »
What action does the R do that is like a baseball umpire? I can't see him for most of the video, then you see him sort of pushing a coach back and using both hands in a get away gesture.
And the second flag comes from the U - which has to be for something said, since no one was around him at the time to touch him.

The article that MDRef posted the link to has the news report where you see the exchange between the coach and referee from the sideline. After making his grand ejection signal, he then pointed at him and screamed, "You're gone for next week too!"

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:47 AM »
Sorry to say it, but he can take his flag and fill in the blank.

I think that is an unnecessarily strong opinion.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »
Studying Z- while the R's actions may not be your cup of tea and I could probably live without the histrionics myself, by rule there is nothing wrong with the actions taken and obviously the TSAA supported it.  Maybe he is too "basebally" inclined and it certainly wasn't wise to throw in "and you're gone next week too" as that is out of his jurisdiction but we all have moments in our career that looking back, wished we had said or did something different.

Much like the debated Louisiana incident a few weeks back, these incidents don't happen in a vacuum.  In every stomach churning incident I've been a party too, and thank God none have risen to this level, once you have a moment to reflect you can figure on where something went awry and learn from it.  The R here is obviously an experienced official but we can never stop learning unless you choose not to.

I say all that to say this: Never say Never.  If you ever make it to that level, you will find yourself in situations where you may not exactly agree with what goes on but for the sake of your crew you may have to swallow it.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Words of wisdom, NC.  tiphat:
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2013, 12:16:50 PM »

http://fox17.com/sports/features/sports-unlimited/stories/ensworth-head-coach-ricky-bowers-ejected-after-win-252.shtml

StudyingFutureZebra

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
According to the local news, the state athletic association had no jurisdiction to overturn the ejection, as unsportsmanlike conduct is considered a "judgement call."

Don't know about you, but I would have privately said something to the R if I was on a crew and something like this had happened, and admittedly not in those words, even though that was a toned-down, expletives deleted response. I also think that conduct displayed by the official contributes to the fan sentiment that all referees are self-righteous and on a really tall horse.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
Re-read your article....

“(Lloyd) said Ricky bumped him."  Lloyd's the official, and Ricky is the coach.  The next paragraph up from where the coach says the official bumped into him.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »
Ricky is the assistant coach. He was ejected first, then (as can be seen in the video) the R tosses the head coach.

From the Fox 17 story: "Ensworth head coach Ricky Bowers was ejected following his team's 21-12 victory over Brentwood Academy Friday night."

ECILLJ

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »
I'm taken aback at how unprofessional this guy is, 

SFZ- The Referee allowed his emotions to get the best of him, but be careful about judging him to quickly. Part of our job is to make quick decisions in high stress situations while usually being hollered at in an unprofessional manner.

IMO, keeping our cool is often the most difficult  task, but the most important task for us to manage. Making the call, assessing the penalty and using proper mechanics comes much easier.

DaBigStiller

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
The baseball histrionics have me laughing so hard my eyes are watering.  Officials are to maintain or restore order. It's an essential part of game management. This crew did neither.  The official throwing the flag because there are two seconds on the clock is also dramatic and the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a fire.  The best thing to do there is get both teams back to the sideline, huddle, and enforce all penalties. Encourage the coach to have his QB take a knee instead of dropping back into a pass formation in an effort seemingly to "show up" the opponent which was recognized by the game announcers (homers) who even let out a yelp as it was happening.  This crew was instead forced to end the game because they were unable or unwilling to restore order.  The White Hat seemed to want a confrontation and he got it.  Why else is he jawing with a coach around a crowd of people along the sideline.  If you hire a baseball guy to do football you get what you pay for.  I vote to keep crews like this off the football field.

Offline Txgarza

• FAN REACTION: +2/-3
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2013, 02:33:08 PM »
The baseball histrionics have me laughing so hard my eyes are watering.  Officials are to maintain or restore order. It's an essential part of game management. This crew did neither.  The official throwing the flag because there are two seconds on the clock is also dramatic and the equivalent of pouring gasoline on a fire.  The best thing to do there is get both teams back to the sideline, huddle, and enforce all penalties. Encourage the coach to have his QB take a knee instead of dropping back into a pass formation in an effort seemingly to "show up" the opponent which was recognized by the game announcers (homers) who even let out a yelp as it was happening.  This crew was instead forced to end the game because they were unable or unwilling to restore order.  The White Hat seemed to want a confrontation and he got it.  Why else is he jawing with a coach around a crowd of people along the sideline.  If you hire a baseball guy to do football you get what you pay for.  I vote to keep crews like this off the football field.

I agree with everything you said except for taking the knee part. We don't see downs 1-3 in the video. If he were to take a knee the ball would have gone over with about 12-13 seconds for the other team. Very unprofessional white hat.

Offline Arbitrator

• Chief Manor Road Pig Poker
  • FAN REACTION: +7/-10
Re: Re: Anyone have the scoop on this? TN coach disqualified
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2013, 07:44:20 PM »
Complicating this situation is the clock was at 0:02 when the runner went OOB. The R chose to end the game at that point which is in his discretion. The timing of that declaration in relation to the ejection is critical.

^flag

Great point, Magician! Now I'm speaking from NCAA Rules, since they are our bread and butter in high school football here in Texas. I would not have a clue as to what the NFHSA Rules would prescribe.

Now with that being said, if the official clock, in fact, did read 0:02(unofficial TV broadcast clock was actually at 0:04) when the QB exited the sideline, thereby establishing that there was, indeed, time on the clock, and taking into exception that both the offenses of the Team B player and the Team A coach had been summarily penalized and both possibly ejected for their actions,  then the ball should have been spotted at the OOB spot, where the QB exited the field and then given to Team B on downs.

But taking into consideration that since a near-melee had occurred on the Team A sideline as a result of the extra-curricular activity, and keeping in mind that there was already a 9-point differential in the score, and with only 2 seconds remaining to play in the game, and knowing that in doing so could possibly engender additional ill-will, then I might just be somewhat inclined to invoke the Referee's "elastic rule" in just running the clock out since there is not a 9 point play that could be executed that could tie the game in that short amount of time remaining. Pretty much keeping the overall safety of the players and support personnel as the primary factor here, which would preeminently trump anything else, namely giving Team B a shot at some inconsequential scoring play!

Regardless, both the Team B offending player and the Team A head coach definitely needed to be reported to their state athletics association as well as to their respective superintendents, with any audible game film footage available, that should be submitted as attached evidence, along with the original report.
  z^
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 06:59:16 AM by Arbitrator »