Author Topic: Screaming Coaches  (Read 21201 times)

ECILLJ

Re: Screaming Coaches
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »
Without screaming coaches my war stories would not be as much fun or interesting. LOL

Offline tothemax96

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
ALUpstateNY  Well said Sir. 

Thanks to all for commenting.

I know there are many ways to handle a coach who goes over board. I work the wings so I have done it many times.  I just think it doesn't need to be such a big part of the game.  It happens at all levels, 7th grade thru Varsity. One official can't stop it. One Chapter can't stop it.    It has to be a major emphasis from the top.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
Do you think we will ever get to a point where the coaches will get off our butts?

Nope.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
One of the things I tell newer officials is to remember that it is not them personally who is being yelled at, it is the uniform.

This is true and as long as they keep yelling at the uniform, they're going to get a lot of rope. Unfortunately sometimes the coaches want to go after the person in the uniform and then we need to be the bad guys in taking care of business.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 08:29:04 AM »
My rule of thumb for determining when they're talking to the stripes versus when they're talking to me personally is that I'm listening for the word "you" followed by some sort of descriptive adjective.  At that point, I'll usually say to the coach "I'm sorry, coach - what was that?" 

If he decides to repeat the same descriptive adjective...  well...  ^flag

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
I think the best way to handle this situation is a pregame meeting with the white hat and coaches of both teams.  Speech could go something like this:

"Alright gentlemen.  During the course of the game, it is most likely inevitable that you will become unhappy or disagree with a call my crew makes.  This is fine.  You have the right to be upset or disagree.  What you do not have the right to do is berate and personally attack myself or anyone on my crew.  If you want to have a calm, rational discussion about why we made the decision we did, I and my crew are happy to oblige you time permitted.

If you, your coaching staff, or players resort to vulgar language or personal attacks here is what will happen.  I will give you one warning and one only.  2nd offense is a UNS.  3rd offense is a UNS and the offending party will be ejected from the game.  Are we clear?  Do you have any questions?  None?  OK, let's have a great game."

Having given this speech, I think it's important to follow through in a few ways.  One, you need to make sure your crew is instructed to never escalate the verbal confrontation.  Two, If someone begins to question a call or the coach requests an explanation, make sure 2 or more of you are there to hear it.  This allows for corroboration on the verbal abuse should it occur.  Third, document what was said as best you can remember it for review by the supervisory.  If you can produce evidence as to what was said, and this evidence is agreed to be vulgar in nature, you should never have a problem with your chapter backing you up.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 01:07:49 PM »
"Forewarned is forearmed" is usually sound advice, for those willing to accept it.

I've had reasonably good success simply adding to my explanation to the Head Coach before the game that, "I'll address any and all questions from your sideline about any issues of concern, from only you (then pause before adding) as long as you raise those questions or concerns, civily, calmly and respectfully".

ECILLJ

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 03:06:34 PM »
I agree that we need to mention our expectations in the pre-game, but I am not in favor of a long pre-game speech that borders on "preaching". The coaches are adults and many of them go about their business in a professional manner, they know what is expected and they also know when they have crossed the line with us, regardless if we've given them a pre-game reminder.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 04:01:10 PM »
I agree that we need to mention our expectations in the pre-game, but I am not in favor of a long pre-game speech that borders on "preaching". The coaches are adults and many of them go about their business in a professional manner, they know what is expected and they also know when they have crossed the line with us, regardless if we've given them a pre-game reminder.
  tiphat:
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:22 PM »
:thumbup
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline medi-ogre

• FAN REACTION: +4/-4
  • With officials...It is a highly structured recess
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
@EC: What I wrote was an example of something you may say.  Feel free to phrase it however you want.  The purpose is to show, and this is basic human psychology, that by setting clear expectations and subsequent consequences for violating those expectations, you will begin to see more of the behavior you desire.  What we desire is for coaches and officials to not be at each others' throats and treat each other with respect.  Try it with your kids (if you have them) sometime; it works very well.

The problem with not setting clear expectations is this will always be a judgement call of a person's attitude by any official who decides to throw or swallow the flag.  If you are not clear about when and under what circumstances you make the call, you open yourself up to people questioning your decision.  I know this is not news that officials' decisions are called into question, but this particular situation is unique in that you are judging a person's attitude and behavior not a player's on field play.  For me, I want to make dang sure I'm calling this in a way that is unimpeachable.

In defense of my example, I do not consider it to be a long speech.  I am pretty sure I could rattle off what I wrote verbatim in about 30 seconds.  I think all involved should be able to sacrifice this amount of time for the subject of sportsmanship.  I also do not consider it preaching.  I am not telling these coaches to take a different moral position or else.  I am simply stating what behavior I will reward and what behavior I will punish. 

You mention that most of the coaches you work with act in a professional and respectful manner.  That's great.  You may not need this strategy, but for those who do experience this or this is the coach culture in their league, this is a tactic that could be tried.  Obviously, the OP has had problems with this or he would not have started this thread.  I am offering a suggestion on how to change the behavior they are seeing as problematic.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
Inside The Stripes, I'm not directing this at you personally. 

If one is not having fun doing this, they should turn in their stripes.  I've said from the beginning that if I'm not having enough fun to justify all the time away from my family - much less the time running around on the field, getting grief from coaches and fans, and attending meetings, plus the cost of the dues, equipment, wear and tear on my car and my body, and the like - I need to give this up.

I guess I should explain my glib comment.

I like having fun as much as the next guy, but I don't officiate for "fun". I officiate for the satisfaction that comes with the knowledge that I've prepared as well as possible, been in the best position possible, and exhibited great judgement. I officiate for the constant challenge and the elusiveness of the perfect game. Plus, I love the climb...

Like you, when I stop deriving satisfaction from this endeavor, I will "hang them up".

Offline VALJ

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
I totally get it, and I knew what you meant even at the time.  I just wanted to say what I said for the "greater good" for everyone.  There is no greater satisfaction than a well-officiated game, and when a well-officiated game matches up with a well-played game, it's almost magical to me.  I'm right there with you.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »

"YE NEED TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH TROLLS" - author anonymous

Offline VALJ

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 12:39:09 PM »
"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE"

- Sign that should be above the door out of the official's locker room.  :)

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »
"ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE"

- Sign that should be above the door out of the official's locker room.  :)
.   You'all got a locker room. Damn

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 07:51:33 AM »
.   You'all got a locker room. DARN

LOL
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 09:14:33 AM »
Isn't "screaming coaches" a bit redundant?   yEs:

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2015, 02:44:21 PM »
Also an oxymoron.  If they are screaming in the sense we are referring to it here then they are not coaching.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2015, 09:24:52 PM »
Not to hijack the thread, as my post is basketball, but does deal with a screaming coach.  In 13 years of officiating basketball I had never T'd a coach.  Well, Tuesday I got my first.  Not even 2 minutes into the game the coach saw what he thought was a player with the ball step out of bounds.  I didn't see it that we and he started screaming.  It continued for two possessions.  I finally decided I was not going to listen to that any longer.  After I T'd him his comment was, " I was just trying to ask a question."  Really?  All the screaming.  I never once heard a question, hence the reason I never said a word.  Once the question was asked, I politely told him that from my view the player did not touch the line.  The funny thing is, the opposing coach, who is usually one that likes to chirp, never said a word the whole game.  I guess he saw how fast I popped the other coach he wasn't going to risk anything.  The game continued with both coaches simply focusing on coaching and not being concerned about the officials.  It's amazing how much better the game is played when the coaches are just coaching.  If only I would have known those past 13 years how good it would feel to T one up.   ;D