Author Topic: Terrible Incident in Texas  (Read 110229 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Terrible Incident in Texas
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
This thread was moved from the Texas Board by the moderator. It was on topic when he posted it.

My point was that the legal aspects of "free speech" is not really football related and thus off topic.

Offline tothemax96

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2015, 11:44:47 AM »
In February I posted the subject named Screaming Coaches.  I feel this is where it starts. These kids see these coaches disrespecting us because of a call they didn't like.  Then the kids think they can treat us the same way. I am sure these 2 players didn't start this game with the intent of committing this criminal act against one of our own. But they see it and learn from it.  They don't know how to handle tense situations because they see the coach get aggressive and angry with us about calls and penalties against their team. The coaches need to lead by example, unfortunately, THEY ARE LEADING BY THE WRONG EXAMPLE.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2015, 12:10:31 PM »
Can't argue about your "leading with the wrong example" advice, but these two learned their thuggish behavior a lot earlier than this game, or this season, and until THAT problem is corrected, this kind of crap is a threat.

Offline goodgrr

• Roger Goodgroves
  • FAN REACTION: +13/-12
  • We are always learning

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2015, 12:35:30 PM »
Agree with Upstate. This is learned at home and filters into the school. The school does nothing so the kids think it's acceptable behavior.

Offline tothemax96

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2015, 01:05:09 PM »
I agree with you guys, this was learned way before this past weekend.  But these coaches have an obligation to teach these kids respect, and to show it.  Some of these kids have never had someone to look up to. If they look up to another bad example, then it is no good. 

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned but I hope all chapters, especially San Antonio, will refuse to officiate their games at all levels.

Offline DallasLJ

• FAN REACTION: +16/-15
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »
Didn't see this mentioned but I hope all chapters, especially San Antonio, will refuse to officiate their games at all levels.
  That is just wrong.  Why are you punishing the Football program, including 9th and JV, for the actions of a few numbskulls.  Unless someone can show it was "ordered" by the coaches -- which I find to be highly unlikely -- the players have been suspended -- likely to be kicked off the squad.  And, as I understand it, this game was covered by the Austin Chapter -- Marble Falls home game.

Offline TXPanhandle

• FAN REACTION: +8/-131
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2015, 08:17:38 PM »
The team resides in San Antonio. That's why I said "especially San Antonio". It's not about who was in that game but future games. It may not have been ordered by the coaches but I also have no problem making the assumption the coaches have no discipline on the team and that's on them. Their (coaches and players) behavior does prove that.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
What did any coach do?

Shoottv

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2015, 08:21:56 PM »
I'm hoping that suspension is just an interim step and that they will both be banned from further participation in school sports for life. Being big on student athletes I hope they will be back in the classroom after discipline
I seriously think misdemeanor criminal charges and some court supervision might be their best chance at not being thugs for life. If a member of the coaching staff was involved a 3 or 4 year "death penalty" for the football program is warranted. Wanna play NCAA Rules... there you go
I'd also like to see the state take their gate receips for the year. Maybe some old broken smelly equipment will rEmin others

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 08:42:34 PM by Shoottv »

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 10:15:00 PM »
Hurting the school financially is off the table.  This school is in the largest school district in south Texas and one of the largest in the state.  There are 10 schools in the school district in the state's largest classification and another one being built.  Focus should be on these players and perhaps coaches if it can be proven they had anything to do with the this, which I seriously doubt.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
I also have no problem making the assumption the coaches have no discipline on the team and that's on them.

I wouldn't jump to this conclusion, but I would wonder about it.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
Whose responsibility is it??? The HC, and each assistant, is RESPONSIBLE for how ALL players behave during all team functions. They set the standards and requirements and are responsible to see that ALL players comply.

Some years ago, a local coach spelled it out simply and clearly suggesting to players, "It's your choice to play football or do drugs, you cannot do both", meant exactly what he said and strictly enforced it. Membership on a school team is something earned and should require consistent compliance with ALL team rules, or team membership ENDS.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2015, 07:54:28 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with almost everything Mike says here.  Unless something comes out about the coaches having something to do with this, don't suspend the team.  Most of the kids on that team deserve better than that.

Offline VALJ

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
Unless someone can show it was "ordered" by the coaches -- which I find to be highly unlikely -- the players have been suspended -- likely to be kicked off the squad.

"Did you order the Code Red?!?!?!"  :)

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2015, 01:00:58 PM »

Offline ess1970

• FAN REACTION: +0/-1
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2015, 01:29:34 PM »
From mysanantonio.com:

"Jay assistant Mack Breed has been placed on administrative leave, Northside ISD spokesman Pascual Gonzalez said at a press conference Tuesday. “This guy needs to pay for cheating us,” Breed allegedly said. The district said the incident involving the tackling of a ref could have been caused by missed calls. The players allege racial slurs were said to them by the umpire. Check the blog for more on the story."

Offline TxJim

• FAN REACTION: +18/-21
Sportsmanship is contagious - Let's have an epidemic!

Offline TxJim

Offline TxJim

Offline rsquare

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2015, 03:03:03 PM »
Same sorta incident happened to me about five years ago at Spring George Stadium. I was U in varsity contest. There were 2 PF thrown on players prior to punt. At snap an outside gunner came across and "cleaned me out". Now I cannot not do a flip or cart wheel. All I remember is hearing a loud crowd roar  OHHHH. Next thing I remember I saw our wing (who is now a distinguished state rep) come up to me and said, Are you OK? White cap (who was a District Attorney by vocation) came up and he said I saw what that---did. Threw him out of game. It was kinda scary that he blindsided me like that and I went up in air, landed on field and only remember the sound of the crowd, blacked out,  then staring straight up at my 2 fellow officials...

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27

Offline VALJ

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »
Regardless of what he said - and Lord knows that if he did in fact say what he's been mentioned as saying, I won't even try to defend that - this is still assault, plain and simple.  (Or is it battery?  I always get the two confused...) 

I'm all in favor of the school not being suspended from playing football this season.  I'm also all in favor of criminal charges against both players, and perhaps even a conspiracy charge against the coach if he did in fact say that "he needs to pay."  If he did in fact say that, the assistant coach has no business ever being allowed on a football field again, period.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »
Everyone, including the ISD brass, knows darn well the official did not say say anything remotely racial.

If this were a situation where players got up and then shoved an official after he supposedly said something, then yeah, I'd want to look into that further. In other words, an incident that occurred IMMEDIATELY after the alleged remark. Are you trying to tell me that the kids blew it off, then got together in the huddle LATER (even if only a play) and decided to retaliate by a full force run?

Also, look on the video of the actions of the MF player -- the one that runs up thinking he needs to block the first kid that hit the umpire. The FIRST thing he does when he sees that is point it out to another official to get a flag thrown. That's how kids (in general, but especially now) behave -- they look to convict someone who has done something wrong immediately. IF there was anything racial said, the first thing the kids that heard it would have done was immediately report it to the coach.

All this crap came out later.