Author Topic: WCCDs - WTH?  (Read 13667 times)

Offline mostripes

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
WCCDs - WTH?
« on: August 18, 2016, 02:54:36 PM »
Not sure what other areas of the country are doing.. but Missouri decided to bite the bullet, take a leap, be part of the revolution (however you would feel to label it).. they have approved the use of WCCDs (Wireless Communication Crew Devices).  My crew is the one and only that has not jumped in with both feet to be part of the cool crowd and add these to our officiating tool bag.  Just curious if other states are allowing them, if so has your crew purchased them, and if you have used them what are your thoughts?

It seems like there are still so many unknowns and potential boogers.  There's no minimum standard for the devices other than push to talk and that they can only be used during dead ball periods, and not when a snap is imminent, and the communication can not be offensive, etc.   Some suggested uses include Ball placement, Clock management, Goal line reminders, Positions on tries, Line to gain confirmations, Foul Reporting, Sideline issues, Player conduct concerns, Confirmation of rulings, Penalty Enforcement options, Kickoffs OOB, and other unusual situations. 

Most crews I've talked with are purchasing regular 2-way radios that can be purchased at Bass Pro, etc.. and even with multiple channel options.. none or a closed system where the channels couldn't be located by someone scanning the channel options.  I've looked into some of them, but once you go past a certain feature level.. it's required to purchase an FCC license ($90/ 5-yr) to operate within certain channels.

I love technology as much as the next guy, but we aren't utilizing $2000 systems that NCAA/NFL leagues are utilizing and we are working in crews of 5 versus much larger crews.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: WCCDs - WTH?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 07:32:08 AM »
One thing to remember with the O2O systems is that they are not a substitute for normal mechanics.  Basically, if you have to run to tell someone something, then use the O2O.  But don't use it for "I have 11", "My receiver is off the line", etc.  There are already mechanics for that.

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 10:58:33 AM »
Our association has gone all in on radios.  We purchased 60 radios and 68 headsets (not wireless).  I will let everyone know how it goes.  Several of our guys have used them in state championship games over the last 4 years and were pleased with the results.  My crew of 7 is in the biggest stadium in our area tonight so we will get to give them a good shakedown.  We have already had a pregame meeting to discuss protocol, which I am sure will evolve over time. Our clock operator will also have a radio, which may facilitate the best use of all, quickly correcting clock errors.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:21:15 PM »
In KS, not MO.  I personally thought the MO policy was thoughtful, well written and gives good guidance.

KS has no policy, our crew is using them this year and we're following the MO policy.  A little bit of use will tell us more about where all the alligators are hiding.
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 08:09:14 AM »
We have a few crews using them in our area.  They all seem to like them.  The crew working my son's game last night had them

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
Not approved for use in Arkansas.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
Our first week with the radios was a success. There were 7 or 8 situations during the game where the radios made communication significantly clearer and much more timely.  We probably used the radio for something on approximately 25% of the plays.  Other crews in our association reported similar experiences.  Getting a quick answer on the option a coach preferred on penalty enforcement and the ability to get foul information from the deep officials much quicker were the biggest advantages we found in week one.
None of these fans paid to see us

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
Texas approved them for use a year or two ago.  I bought a set and we tried it in a scrimmage and really liked it.  I think there has to be some ground rules on what to communicate and when and what to let go so you don't just get a lot of unnecessary chatter.

Offline stevegarbs

• FAN REACTION: +4/-2
WCCDs - WTH?
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 09:45:41 AM »
Interesting to hear positive responses. I suggested our crew try them but my crew chief shot it down saying "All the college guys who use them hate it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline zoom

• FAN REACTION: +10/-3
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 11:20:34 AM »
Interesting to hear positive responses. I suggested our crew try them but my crew chief shot it down saying "All the college guys who use them hate it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, that is the opposite feedback I have heard from college guys...

Offline theunofficialofficial

• FAN REACTION: +5/-1
  • Go slow, then go slower.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

That's the opposite of what I'm hearing as well. All the college guys down here are using them and bringing them into HS. Personally I've used them twice and I love them. I need more time with them and establishing some ground rules. But overall would use again, just buy yourself a good ear piece cause the first time I used them was a cheap one and it kept falling out of ear and was uncomfortable and distracting.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
The college officials I talk to love them as well. Several HS crews have used them the past couple years and there seems to be a huge increase in the number of crews this year. We are using them and have had them for 3 scrimmages and a game. We replaced the ear pieces that came with them already and much prefer the new ones for comfort. They have helped immensely in several situations, and I highly recommend them.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »
The college officials I talk to love them as well. Several HS crews have used them the past couple years and there seems to be a huge increase in the number of crews this year. We are using them and have had them for 3 scrimmages and a game. We replaced the ear pieces that came with them already and much prefer the new ones for comfort. They have helped immensely in several situations, and I highly recommend them.

My experience as well.  This is the second year for our crew, and we're getting much more comfortable with when & how to use them.

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 08:18:54 AM »
In KS, not MO.  I personally thought the MO policy was thoughtful, well written and gives good guidance.

KS has no policy, our crew is using them this year and we're following the MO policy.  A little bit of use will tell us more about where all the alligators are hiding.

Where can one find the MO policy? We don't use them extensively - two games last year. During that 1st game we had some issues I'm sure most 1st timers have to work thru but I trust we'll see a day when they are common place.

Offline mostripes

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:13 AM »
I'm still learning how to post things in here.. I'm attempting to attach the PDF here.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »
I'm still learning how to post things in here.. I'm attempting to attach the PDF here.

You did it right.   :thumbup

Offline mostripes

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 09:02:21 AM »
Do any of you guys who suggested replacing the ear pieces happen to remember which ones you went with?

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 09:39:48 AM »
Does anyone else think it's odd MO strictly prohibits them in sub-varsity? I know I'd want to get the hang of using them there before using them in varsity contests.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Does anyone else think it's odd MO strictly prohibits them in sub-varsity? I know I'd want to get the hang of using them there before using them in varsity contests.
That thought crossed my mind as soon as I read it. I'm guessing less experienced officials normally work lower levels and MO wants them to concentrate on the basics, rather than worrying about radios.

Is there anyone from Missouri who can confirm the rationale?
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline mostripes

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
I hadn't heard anything related to the rationale behind it, but I too, whole heartedly agree that having time to use these devices other than just on Friday nights would have been very welcomed.  Instead we are meeting earlier than normal on Friday to go over set up wearing, operating, etc.. and hope it works out.

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
One of my crew members attended the Mo clinic and he indicated exactly the thought about learning appropriate mechanics and signals.  Not sure if he heard this officially, or just through a conversation
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Offline Ironhead17

• FAN REACTION: +3/-2
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 07:41:42 AM »

Thanks!

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 07:58:36 AM »
We ain't heard of them there fancy gizmo's up in Maine. Passed on the ole' reliable 2 tin cans connected by string, too. 'Spect the players might trip over it. I might have an interest if this here gizmo could pick up the Red Sox games. tR:oLl tR:oLl

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 08:10:00 AM »
I might have an interest if this here gizmo could pick up the Red Sox games. tR:oLl tR:oLl

The ones we use CAN pickup over-the-air broadcasts.  'Spect you could catch a couple of innings during halftime.
 cRaZy    cRaZy

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 08:43:23 AM »
The ones we use CAN pickup over-the-air broadcasts.  'Spect you could catch a couple of innings during halftime.
 cRaZy    cRaZy
.....or call for a measurement if the Sox had the winning run at 3rd ;) ;)! We haven't had drone worries yet. This will probably come after that.