Author Topic: Oh, Those Tricky Middle Schoolers  (Read 30452 times)

LarryW60

Re: Oh, Those Tricky Middle Schoolers
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 12:22:30 PM »
This play and players involved are on FoxNews as we speak.
So why hasn't anyone brought up with the perps that the play was illegal both in Fed AND NCAA rules?

VALinesman

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 09:36:32 PM »
Seems like an illegal snap to me. Additionally, it seems that the QB is actually on the line, since he is breaking the plane of the line. So I would argue that it is an illegal snap.

From the NCAA Rulebook:
One player may be between his scrimmage line and the backs if in a
position to receive a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper’s
legs. When in such position, that player may receive the snap himself
or it may go directly to any player legally a back [S19].

The QB is on the line when he recieves the snap. Additionally, he was in motion. The crew blew this one. So if you want the snap to be legal, I'm coming at you with an illegal formation or an illegal shift. In reality however, it is an illegal snap because it was not to a back or is legal per the QB exception.

VALinesman

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 09:43:26 PM »
Additionally, let's not forget "An obviously unfair act not specifically covered by the rules occurs
during the game (A.R. 4-2-1-II)." USC all day long. I would like to thank that crew for the headache that I will get next fall because some coach is going to freak when I ring his team up for the same behavior. I can hear it already -- "you didn't see that on youtube?"

KB

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2010, 12:59:21 AM »
VALinesman: This play is covered by the rules, in all its aspects, so you cannot invoke the "god clause".

(NCAA rules base)
Good pickup on the QB being a lineman. His head breaks the plane through the waistline of the snapper, so he is a legal ineligible on the line. Therefore he may not receive a hand-to-hand snap, live-ball foul (S19). (Not an illegal snap).

I still hold it that the snap would be legal without the stop before the QB takes it. That the ball is lifted off the ground is not a foul in itself when that lifting is part of a continous backward motion that ends with the ball leaving the snapper's hands. As I said, if the snapper simply throws the ball over his shoulder, it is a legal snap if the ball does not move forward anytime during the throwing motion.

Offline southarkumpire

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
You can argue all day and split hairs whether it was a legal snap or not, if the QB was actually on the line, etc.  The problem I have with this play is this....as a defensive player, you are taught (or should be taught) to fire at the movement or snap of the ball, and go after whoever has the ball!  Now...something kept them from doing that, and that something was a VERBAL command of the QB to "hand me the ball, I have to mark off 5 more yards!".  That is deception. You can call it the God clause if you want to, but it is no different than a defensive player saying "hike" to simulate a call by the QB.  We flag that as USC and we should flag this too.  Heck, what business does the QB have "marking off" a penalty anyway? We would not let him do this under any other circumstances.  

We are talking about a middle school game here guys.  If this had occured in a college or NFL game, then so be it...but this is middle school.  Obviously the defense thought there was no play, no chance of a play.  The coach and the kid used the officials in their little deception play, and that is wrong in my book also.  Shut it down. Shut it down....SHUT IT DOWN!!! And if the coach told the crew before the game, then shame on them for letting him use them to cheat 8th graders out of a fair game.

Come on coaches....line up and play football and quit using these idiotic "trick" plays to build your ego.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »
The reason the NCAA rule book is so big and with so many Approved Rulings is due to Texas High School football coaches trying to get "creative". Anyway you look at it whether it be from a deception or illegal snap standpoint, this play is illegal.

I would not doubt that there will be an AR in the rule book about it.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »
Shut it down. Shut it down....SHUT IT DOWN!!! And if the coach told the crew before the game, then shame on them for letting him use them to cheat 8th graders out of a fair game.

Come on coaches....line up and play football and quit using these idiotic "trick" plays to build your ego.

(Nodski.)

I swear, every year some coach comes and tells us about some odd new play he's gonna run. And then we start asking questions ... and it ain't legal. Hell, I had some guy ask me if he could run the missing tee play.

(Really? For real? Smack me in the head with a crate of hammers .... )

VALinesman

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 11:13:22 PM »
VALinesman: This play is covered by the rules, in all its aspects, so you cannot invoke the "god clause".

(NCAA rules base)
Good pickup on the QB being a lineman. His head breaks the plane through the waistline of the snapper, so he is a legal ineligible on the line. Therefore he may not receive a hand-to-hand snap, live-ball foul (S19). (Not an illegal snap).

I still hold it that the snap would be legal without the stop before the QB takes it. That the ball is lifted off the ground is not a foul in itself when that lifting is part of a continous backward motion that ends with the ball leaving the snapper's hands. As I said, if the snapper simply throws the ball over his shoulder, it is a legal snap if the ball does not move forward anytime during the throwing motion.

"God Clause" -- NICE! I'm gonna have to remember that one! I'm a NFHS guy, so I had to do some reading on that one (like I don't have anything better to do in my 3L year of law school...LOL), but I did find it interesting that the snap would've been legal if the QB was not on the line. I already packed up my NFHS rulebook, so I will have to check that out over Xmas...

KB

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
I once told a player during a nice talk we had after a game that we as officials are condemned to be God for the two-and-a-half hours of the game, but that we lack His omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.
And that we don't have the luxury of the players that, if we perform bad, the coach can send in a backup.

He just nodded knowingly. Maybe I made it a little bit easier for the officials in his next game.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 06:28:40 AM »
Shut it down. Shut it down....SHUT IT DOWN!!!

This is the only correct response.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »
Dotson Lewis, one of the best rules  men in Texas has weighed in one the play and effectively eliminated any need to even get into the "deception" part of the issue.  Not sure any of us even picked up on his 3d issue.   His take:

False start by the left guard, moving his hand. Dead ball foul.
Illegal snap, the snapper stopped the motion of the ball and the lineman took it from him. Dead ball foul.
Ball was snapped to a lineman.  Live ball foul.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »
Pretty much if Dotson says it...........................end of discussion.

Kinda like a coach trying to argue penalty enforcement with Charles Stephenson, he ain't gonna win.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

KB

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »
Heh, we all missed a false start. That probably was it for those playoff games :)

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 10:14:00 AM »
Not sure that was a false start by Left G.   Just looks like he was going down for his initial 3 point stance.   Anyway, still say give them the 15 yd UNS and be done.

This whole situation was actually on The Ticket in Dallas yesterday morning and they were all assuming that it was legal since it wasn't flagged, and was comparing to other "deception" acts like Dan Marino's fake spike, etc.

Offline NoVaBJ

• FAN REACTION: +11/-8
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 10:47:10 AM »
Dotson Lewis, one of the best rules  men in Texas has weighed in one the play and effectively eliminated any need to even get into the "deception" part of the issue.  Not sure any of us even picked up on his 3d issue.   His take:

False start by the left guard, moving his hand. Dead ball foul.
Illegal snap, the snapper stopped the motion of the ball and the lineman took it from him. Dead ball foul.
Ball was snapped to a lineman.  Live ball foul.

None of this should matter, because it's USC as soon as the quarterback says, "They're marking off another five yards!"  Shut it down, administer 15.  End of discussion.  No other answer is correct.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
What is the support to make this a dead ball foul as opposed to live ball.  Couldn't they "buy their way out" by calling a timeout after the official using preventive officiating tells him it will be flagged if the ball is snapped?

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:31 AM »
What is the support to make this a dead ball foul as opposed to live ball.  Couldn't they "buy their way out" by calling a timeout after the official using preventive officiating tells him it will be flagged if the ball is snapped?

We in the NCAA have it easy. Unfair tactics is a previous spot (live ball) foul, so we can simply let this play be run, flag it, and then potentially let the defense decline the penalty.

To those advocating calling this an illegal snap to a lineman, do you flag it when the QB leans over the center so that the crown of his head is above the waist of the center? He is technically a lineman, but I'd bet every supervisor in the world would rise hell with that interpretation.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2010, 11:30:16 AM »
Problem here is the QB is not hehind the snapper to take the hand to hand snap BETWEEN the legs. Qb is between lg and center

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »

I'm good with that.  I was just thinking once they started it, shut it down, but I can see that they may just fumble or do something else that may benefit the other team.   So, let them play, then penalize them 15.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2010, 11:42:50 AM »
Problem here is the QB is not hehind the snapper to take the hand to hand snap BETWEEN the legs. Qb is between lg and center

My eyesight must be going. I see him standing behind the center, even though he receives the snap from above the center's shoulder. Calling that a snap to a lineman is still too technical to me (his hands aren't down so yes, he couldn't receive a hand to hand snap from below), even when we are talking about a trick play, where we can (and should) be more technical than usual.

EDIT: I think I take this back. As the usual way of a hand-to-hand snap is defined as being between the legs, then, in a trick play such as this, requiring the QB to be able to receive such a snap is valid - thus, illegal snap to a lineman among other fouls.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:08:20 PM by Kalle »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »
None of this should matter, because it's USC as soon as the quarterback says, "They're marking off another five yards!"  Shut it down, administer 15.  End of discussion.  No other answer is correct.

It would seem the most important thing is recognizing this is a BS play, and must not stand.  Recognizing this is a "Middle School" play, there may be some discretion available as to how to insure this play doesn't stand.  Keeping in mind the overarching significance of NF: 1-1-6, whicj defines the ultimate decision process, "The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good spotsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.  The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game."

Our job is a lot easier when things are clearly spelled out for us.  Unfortunately, the nature of the game is that people are always going to be trying to push the envelope, and sometimes push too hard or too far.  We have been charged with the authority, and responsibility, to judge what is too hard or too far and are expected to what's "right".  How we get get to where we need to be seems not as important as the fact we get there, and BS plays simply should not be allowed to stand.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2010, 12:53:42 PM »
USA Football weighs in:
http://www.usafootball.com/articles/displayArticle/7737/10812

Misleading techniques at youth level should not include ‘wrong ball’ tactics

Bill LeMonnier is a longtime college football referee and USA Football Rules Committee editor.
A youth football video that has gone viral and aired on ESPN would not be a legal play under USA Football rules.

In fact, USA Football Rules Committee editor and longtime college official Bill LeMonnier said, plays such as this one have no place in the game.

The video shows the center snapping the football over his shoulder to a quarterback, who walks through the defense before taking off toward the end zone. The deception comes in that the quarterback and his coach are arguing the spot of the ball even as the quarterback walks past defenders.

USA Football prohibits plays that are designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and the snap isn't imminent. The penalty is unsportsmanlike conduct and a 15-yard, basic spot foul as found on pages 172-73 of the rule book.

LeMonnier said beyond being illegal, the play undermines the core of what should be taught to players.

"We're trying to teach young people about the game of football -- about respect for the game, respect for opponents," LeMonnier said. "Plays such as this one are demeaning to your opponents and show a lack of respect."

LeMonnier said the snap was legal in that the ball was transferred in one fluid motion. Linemen were set and in place when action began.

It's the verbal deception that crosses the line, and it sends the wrong message to children.

"As adults, you are not only teaching kids the Xs and Os, but they also watch you every day," LeMonnier said. "You don't realize the important things these kids see you do and what they pick up. Plays and approaches like this are not the things we want emulated. Coaches should teach players how to do things right rather than glorifying these plays."

Trickery is a part of football, LeMonnier said, as long as it comes within the play itself. Whether running a reverse, bootleg or flea flicker, teams often employ natural forms of deception.

"It's about fooling your opponent," LeMonnier said. "But taking the ball from center and saying there should be 5 more yards of a penalty or saying you've got the wrong ball then taking off or hiding a player near the sideline ... those aren't football plays."

The following language appears in the current USA Football Rulebook. For more about USA Football policy toward unfair acts, see the PDF attached to this story.

It is a fundamental core belief of USA Football that coaches demand sportsmanship from their players and, equally important, lead by example. Coaches must always remember that the players look to them for positive life skills and values.

With that in mind, USA Football takes the position that coaches should refrain from teaching their players and teams techniques and plays that have no place in youth sports. Examples of deceptive plays include but are not limited to "hideout" plays or "wrong ball" plays.

Strategic deception has been and always will be part of football, such as multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is a problem and a snap isn't imminent, or planned loose ball plays, are beyond the scope of sportsmanship and are illegal. Respect your opponent. Respect the game.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
My eyesight must be going. I see him standing behind the center, even though he receives the snap from above the center's shoulder. Calling that a snap to a lineman is still too technical to me (his hands aren't down so yes, he couldn't receive a hand to hand snap from below), even when we are talking about a trick play, where we can (and should) be more technical than usual.

EDIT: I think I take this back. As the usual way of a hand-to-hand snap is defined as being between the legs, then, in a trick play such as this, requiring the QB to be able to receive such a snap is valid - thus, illegal snap to a lineman among other fouls.

In my opinion, trick plays must be 100% legal.  So yes, I will be technical on a trick play.

Offline southarkumpire

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »
It would seem the most important thing is recognizing this is a BS play, and must not stand.  Recognizing this is a "Middle School" play, there may be some discretion available as to how to insure this play doesn't stand.  Keeping in mind the overarching significance of NF: 1-1-6, whicj defines the ultimate decision process, "The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good spotsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.  The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game."

Our job is a lot easier when things are clearly spelled out for us.  Unfortunately, the nature of the game is that people are always going to be trying to push the envelope, and sometimes push too hard or too far.  We have been charged with the authority, and responsibility, to judge what is too hard or too far and are expected to what's "right".  How we get get to where we need to be seems not as important as the fact we get there, and BS plays simply should not be allowed to stand.

Thank you.  Good explanation.  That is what I was trying to explain in my post.  What gets me, and somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the District or some sort of championship had come down to these two teams.  Whoever won the game, won the title.  That was the winning TD.  Has anyone else heard this?  See, that is what makes me so upset at the coach.  If it had been upper level, then so be it.  But he cheated another group of middle schoolers out of their legit chance of winning.  Win at all cost. Geesh.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
"USA Football prohibits..."

Um, sorry to say this, but who cares what USA Football prohibits?  They don't write the rules the last time I checked.  Are they a youth football organization?