Author Topic: Black Pants  (Read 29178 times)

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Black Pants
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »
WYD- you seem enamored with posting about age/weight.  Not sure if you truly are an official or are some sort of ref stalker but the ravages of time hit us all at some point.   Please do keep us posted annually on what a physical specimine you remain. ::)

Luke

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »
The purpose of our uniform is to separate us from the players on the field, and nothing does that as well as white knickers, that are immediately recognized to mean only one specific thing.

That really makes no sense.  Every player on the football field wears knickers.  If I had to guess what the most popular color of knickers that football teams wear I would say white...teams wear white knickers no matter what color shirt they are wearing.  Stripes down the side are common but they aren't really visible from the front.  Plain white with no stripes isn't uncommon either.  In fact it is normal to have both teams in white knickers for a game.   

Now how many football players wear black slacks...?

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2010, 11:21:07 AM »
Now seems like a great time to make that evaluation.  With all the games being televised, you can watch games where officials wear the black pants and some where they are wearing traditional knickers /striped socks.  Look at the Umpires and Wing officials in front of the team boxes and determine for yourself which are easier to pick up. 

Luke

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »
Now seems like a great time to make that evaluation.  With all the games being televised, you can watch games where officials wear the black pants and some where they are wearing traditional knickers /striped socks.  Look at the Umpires and Wing officials in front of the team boxes and determine for yourself which are easier to pick up. 

What is the point of doing that?  Neither white knickers nor black pants are supposed to stand out; that is what the striped shirt is for.

Basketball officials wear black pants and shoes....but what if a coach is wearing black pants and shoes?  It sure won't be easy to pick up who the official is if you just glance at the lower half of their bodies  ???

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2010, 04:12:56 PM »
What is the point of doing that?  Neither white knickers nor black pants are supposed to stand out; that is what the striped shirt is for.

If you don't want to bother, don't bother, but take a look and see for yourself.  May I suggest a good percentage of the games High School officials work don't get televised, so what you can pick up from field level is an important consideration also.

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
Wow three pages of postings for such a black and white issue... ;D tiphat:
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"

Luke

« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »
If you don't want to bother, don't bother, but take a look and see for yourself.  May I suggest a good percentage of the games High School officials work don't get televised, so what you can pick up from field level is an important consideration also.

No, it's not an important consideration.  The stuff you are saying makes no sense.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2010, 09:15:46 AM »
If it makes no sense to YOU, don't bother considering whether it makes sense to anyone else.  You might be amazed by what lies out there, just beyond the reach of your own headlights.

Luke

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2010, 12:12:45 PM »
If it makes no sense to YOU, don't bother considering whether it makes sense to anyone else.  You might be amazed by what lies out there, just beyond the reach of your own headlights.

Actually you should do that.  Have you ever wondered why no one else in the history of wearing black pants has said "These black pants may not be as easily seen across the field at field level when the official is standing in front of the team box"?  You are obviously not thinking these things through.  You said white knickers make you stand out against the players....even though all players wear knickers and many time both teams in a game will also be wearing white knickers.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »
If you want to act like you "logo", knock yourself out, but it's likely not going to impress very many.  I didn't realize wearing back pants had a "history", nor did I say, "white knickers make you stand out against the players", although having watched multiple games this holiday weekend and observing crews in both traditional knickers and black pants, I might be leaning that way.

All I suggested was that visibility might be a point worth considering.  "Look at the Umpires and Wing officials in front of the team boxes and determine for yourself which are easier to pick up", isn't reaching a conclusion, it's making a rational suggestion. 

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 11:11:29 AM »
Wow three pages of postings for such a black and white issue... ;D tiphat:

*rimshot*

busman

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »
We could wear high visibility green pants.  I promise you, on my butt, I would standout.

concordref

« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2010, 08:03:48 PM »
My crew ordered 5 pairs from Hongis and used them the last 3 games, 2 were wet and muddy and the last was just plain cold.  We all had them altered locally and I had mine tapered a little bit at the ankle like upstate newyork mentioned in his post.  My crew and I think the whole assoc are sold on them.  We are from Northeast Ohio and here in Ohio the state office makes them mandatory for the state playoffs which are finishing up tonight next to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  NO complaints here in Ohio!