Author Topic: Too Much Black Pants?  (Read 26141 times)

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: Too Much Black Pants?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
If that's the primary purpose, we should go all black all the time.  Is your contention that black full length pants are harder to differentiate, recognize and see by players wearing (white or non-white) pants that start at the hip and end just below the knee?

I don't think there is any great "visibility" difference experienced by players regarding the black pants versus white knickers, although I am contending that the standard uniform, consisting of white knickers AND black and white striped long stockings is more visible.  

There are advantages, as well as disadvantages to both styles of pants.  Full length pants allow for a wide variety of under garments to effectively deal with the weather, although those of us who work in extreme weather conditions have adapted to the options that are currently available, or choose to suffer.  Weather resistant fabrics are a great development, but can be shaped to fit either style.  I can't see any real advantage as for dealing with mud or slop as either way the garments require cleaning when soiled.  As for knickers turning yellow, either they are not being washed properly or are being used well after their "expiration" date, which is a practice that will likely take the crispness out of black pants as well.

Knickers and striped socks  have an advantage of being a recognizable icon associated ONLY with football officiating, world wide.  Somewhere there's a lingering message about , "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 06:51:47 PM »
Where have you been calling, most of them look like short pants.     ;D

Bermuda Shorts.   ;D

busman

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 08:51:33 AM »
I still love white shorts if the temperature is over 70!  Lacrosse has it right.

Mark uk

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »
Apparently, some of our vets are reluctant to buy a new pair of pants.  Of course, a good number of our vets are wearing knickers that look like they're about 10 years old, so it seems like they're reluctant to buy knickers, too.

Sadly I suspect this is why it will be years before I'm allowed to wear a pair of black pants. Maybe we should institute an official 'white card'; if your knickers are visibly grey next to the card you've got to buy a new pair. Then forced to spend some money maybe common sense would prevail in certain quarters.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 11:52:58 AM »
I agree with the thread title.  There are way too many threads here about black pants.

Fadamor, I just want to let you know that somebody here got the joke on this one...   ;D

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 08:41:34 PM »
If the black pants weren't officially out of control, they are now.   Temperatures pushing 70 degrees in Dallas for Armed Forces Bowl and WAC officials show up with ls and the dredded black pants.  70 degrees - c'mon guys!  Anybody on my crew would have been reprimanded for any mentioning long sleeves at this temp. ^no

Offline cwag

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 11:36:14 PM »
I worked on the chain crew at the Armed Forces Bowl.  We were in short sleeves and comfortable. I like the black pants look, but it really needs to be cold to justify wearing them.  When will we see a crew wearing them with short sleeves?

It was a great experience.  I hope to get to do it again someday.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
I like the black pants look, but it really needs to be cold to justify wearing them.  When will we see a crew wearing them with short sleeves?

Temperature not withstanding, I'd like to have the option to wear black pants with s/s for games played on muddy fields.

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
In Michigan these are officially deemed to be "Foul Weather Pants" and it is up to individual crews as to what foul weather is. This is from our head of officials for the MHSAA Mark Uyl when I spoke to him at the state championships at Ford Field. In the 8 games I think half of the crews wore black pants with short sleeves.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
Temperature not withstanding, I'd like to have the option to wear black pants with s/s for games played on muddy fields.

Agreed.  I've worked some hot, humid games after a rain storm that turned the field into a quagmire.  I think I washed my knickers three or four times after one of those games.

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2010, 02:55:15 PM »
I worked on the chain crew at the Armed Forces Bowl.  We were in short sleeves and comfortable. I like the black pants look, but it really needs to be cold to justify wearing them.  When will we see a crew wearing them with short sleeves?

It was a great experience.  I hope to get to do it again someday.

My point exactly.   You were carrying chains and comfortable with short sleeves.   I was in stands comfortable.   So, what was the rationale to wearing the garb?  Was somebody cold or was if for the "look"?

btw, Liberty Bowl being played right now in basically same conditions and the guys have got the ss and knickers. tiphat:

Luke

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »

Why does it need to be cold?  These are not lined pants which keep you warm.  In a few years it will be weird to see any officials wearing knickers.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
Props to Steve Shaw's crew for sticking to their knickers with long sleeve shirts.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 07:19:31 PM »
Props to Steve Shaw's crew for sticking to their knickers with long sleeve shirts.

....at 60 degrees...brrrrrrrrr

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:56 PM »
....at 60 degrees...brrrrrrrrr
It gets chiily quick when the sun goes down in SoCal at this time of the year. Temp at game end was in the low 50s.
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Welpe

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 10:50:12 PM »

Knickers and long sleeves look so...outdated.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »
Perhaps this crew was more concerned, and focused, on the job at hand rather than making a fashion statement.  Fashions come and go, standards don't become standards unless, and until, they last beyond fads.

bacwood

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 10:59:07 AM »
Down with knicker!!! pray:;

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 05:02:25 PM »
Down with knicker!!! pray:;

I'd rather not be mooning the public. At least, not until I lose about 40 pounds.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
I not only like the black pants for cold days, but the muddy days too.  Hides the mud stains much much better and are easier to clean out.  You can keep your knickers pretty.

FWIW - NFL officials must wear black pants if they wear long sleeves.  No more long sleeves and knickers in the NFL.

GreggLong

« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
The NFL has experimented with the black pants and short sleeve shirts this year and last. They will ultimately go to the black pants for all games within two years. The NCAA will follow suit within a couple of years of that. State HS Associations will be more hesitant to follow suit.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:14 AM »
The NCAA will follow suit within a couple of years of that.

The NCAA beat the NFL to the punch.

fleetofoot

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
Get over it and buy the pants. I remember when we had to buy yellow flags to replace our red ones. It is called evolution.