Author Topic: Question #2- What is fair pay for officials??  (Read 29596 times)

defcoach

Question #2- What is fair pay for officials??
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:00:27 PM »
Building off of my previous post, what is considered fair, good, or excellent pay for officials?

We have been paying $85 per official for Sr High games (5 officials), no travel.
$90 per for Thursday nights when there is a 7th grade and Jr High game ( 4 officials) no travel,
and $75 , no travel, for Thursday nights when there is only a Jr High game ( 4 officials).

Also, we usually try to have food and/or snacks for the officials before or after the game.
What else is considered good hospitality for visiting officials?

We are a 4A school in Arkansas.

Grant - AR

Re: Question #2- What is fair pay for officials??
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
Building off of my previous post, what is considered fair, good, or excellent pay for officials?

We have been paying $85 per official for Sr High games (5 officials), no travel.
$90 per for Thursday nights when there is a 7th grade and Jr High game ( 4 officials) no travel,
and $75 , no travel, for Thursday nights when there is only a Jr High game ( 4 officials).

Also, we usually try to have food and/or snacks for the officials before or after the game.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the system in Arkansas, 4A is a mid-sized school.  That would be between 200-500 students in grades 10-12.

Defcoach, I haven't worked high school in a few years, but those prices seem good to me.  Those were excellent a few years ago.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
Round these parts, the State sets the max per official and max $ for mileage too.
In FL max per official Varsity  = $60
Max travel is $0.60/mi - one way.

Our Assn just has a flat rate for mileage as $15 per official.  Works out in that sometimes you're across the street while other times you're 75 miles away.

So total $75 per game varsity. - we see food/snacks before and/or after is maybe 25% of the time too.  Hot showers is a whole other topic.

i'll be glad to accept $85 a game on Friday. - you can keep the travel.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:32:22 PM by TampaSteve »

Offline BryanM67

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »

Just a few thoughts on the hospitality thing:

You mentioned the food.. There have been occasions where the home team says we are welcome to anything at their concession stand - but its all snack food.  We don't require gourmet - just something healthy that will keep us going through the game.  Make sure you have plenty of drinks too (especially when it is hot).

Prefer some clean shower facilities too so we can wash off quickly after the game.  A bonus if towels are provided (though I try to bring my own just in case).

Pay varies alot by school.  I normally see $80 to $85 per official PLUS gas money for one person (our crew carpools).  I have heard of schools going over $100 per official for crews they wanted back.

Football referee rookie

Grant - AR

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »
You mentioned the food.. There have been occasions where the home team says we are welcome to anything at their concession stand - but its all snack food.  We don't require gourmet - just something healthy that will keep us going through the game.  Make sure you have plenty of drinks too (especially when it is hot).

The best food we had was, many times, at the smaller schools.  The coaches would line up someone to take care of everything for one game for us.  We might get burgers, pizza, meat/cheese tray for sandwiches...or we might get something like homemade lasagna and cake for desert.  If you have a few parents who would be willing to take that on, that might be the best option for feeding the officials.  Also, if you have a retired official in town, you might check with him.  He might be willing to help out some.

Man, I'm hungry now!   eAt&

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 04:23:56 PM »
NCHSAA sets our rates for high school.  Middle school fees are set by the local association or now the booking agent.
We get no travel fees.

The best job, pay wise, in NC is to be a playoff ECO.  You are usually assigned locally while the field officials are neutral crew.  You get the same fee with 98% less exertion!

C. FOOTBALL
a. Regular Season
$70.00 flat fee
b. Playoff
$80.00 flat fee
(1st round through regionals)
c. State Finals
$85.00 flat fee
d. Junior Varsity Fees
$65.00 (4 person crew)
$60.00 (5 person crew)
d. Clock Operator (Starting 2nd round)
$80.00 flat fee

While food and drink are formally not to be expected, it is nice to at least provide water for the officials.  I've seen the gamut from cokes and snicker bars to a crock pot full of home made chili from the coaches wives.  The usual is a drink and a hot dog at halftime.

Down in Winston-Salem, home of Krispy Kreme, one school always had a HOT FRESH NOW dozen in the locker room before the game.   One area school has a chicken dinner and tea from KFC waiting on us before the game.  One of our largest schools gives us absolutely nothing.  I usually know someone at the visitor's side concession stand there that will let us have a drink at least.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:13 AM »
AHSAA regular season varsity = $60 per on-field official, $40 for ECO / 25-sec.  Travel is $0.55/mile round trip for one vehicle, and is paid by every school, regardless of distance.

The only time we're really concerned about food is if we're at a rural school & there's no place that will still be open after the game.  We truly appreciate having sufficient liquids available at halftime, and access to a non-public rest room.

ECILLJ

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
Personally, I am always very appreciative of the hospitality most schools provide, in the way of food and drinks. Unfortunately, we have colleagues who judge the school's by the hospitality provided to us. Many of these colleagues expect to see the school provide pork sandwiches, pizza, etc.,  from the concession stands. Often times, this is one of the first questions they ask the A.D. when arriving at a site. I believe this is very unprofessional, we are contracted to officiate a football game and not to raid the refrigerator. We should all pack fruit and high energy foods to help our bodies be at their best. If missing dinner is a concern, we should be prepared by packing a sandwich.

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:59 AM »
I get across to the USA every 3 years for a football holiday to work some games that US officials I know arrange for me.  Worked some games in 2010 in suburban Detroit and elsewhere in Michigan. Offered a soda and a burger at the half at all of them as I recall. As for money - $35 per, no travel for Thurs JV (4 man), $50 per, no travel for Friday night (5 man).

Of course it all gets pumped back into your economy! Let me near an outlet mall and I can fill my suitcase in minutes. You have no idea how much more we have to pay in Europe for Levi's, Adidas sneakers, etc etc.

$75 for Thursday, $85 for Friday? Arkansas sounds a real nice place! Shame I don't know anyone there...
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Grant - AR

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:43:03 AM »
$75 for Thursday, $85 for Friday? Arkansas sounds a real nice place! Shame I don't know anyone there...

Oh, you know some folks there...you may just not realize it.   :D

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 02:00:51 PM »
Ohio schools seem to pay whatever they want to. My crews schedule shows game fees between $60 to $67 per man (5 man crew). Funny thing is the lowest paying school is a private school with a tuition of $20,000 per year (students are children of doctors, lawyers and CEOs).
Most have something for us to eat at halftime, usually hot dogs or cheese burgers and water or gatorade.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 09:14:48 PM by Tom.OH »
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:40 AM »
I won't bother with our compensation in Germay, because the leagues don't equate very well.

As for other bits, the teams are REQUIRED to provide a lockable changing area with showers (sometimes the showers are where the teams are as well though) and water for us.

Very occationally we will get soda as well, and at 10% of the teams a bit of food - usually a burger.

Offline clearwall

• FAN REACTION: +14/-13
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:03:22 PM »
Im surprised no one has mentioned getting a cut of the gate receipts. I'll take $50 per varsity game, .50 per mile if my crew will get 5-10% of the gate money as well.

It's kind of funny hearing about the "added benefits" that schools throw in. I used to go with my father when I was 7-16 or so with his crew and got to experience a lot of the different hospitality all around the Texas Panhandle. I echo what one person here said, the best food is ALWAYS in the small towns. I remember I always liked going to a town called Boys Ranch which is a community where parents send their troubled children to straighten them up. Everyone who lives there is a kind of foster parent to the kids that get sent there and the whole community would band together and provide the crews with HUGE spreads both before and after games. It was great. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening much anymore. If we're lucky now, it's a burger and a chest of drinks. I kind of worry that a lot of people got to thinking it's a bit of an improper benefit for the home team to be able to lavish luxuries and such on the crews and get favorable calls that way? Kind of seems counter productive to me. If we are going to a place that we know is going to treat us right, we'll be in a pleasant mood, make better calls, and be more effective for BOTH sides.

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »
Oh, you know some folks there...you may just not realize it.   :D

Is that what the - AR after your name is? Always assumed it was your surname...
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Grant - AR

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Is that what the - AR after your name is? Always assumed it was your surname...

That's it.  I'm in Arkansas.

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:23:26 PM »
Grant, where is the great state of Arkansas are you located. NWA is my area...

Grant - AR

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 10:13:02 PM »
Grant, where is the great state of Arkansas are you located. NWA is my area...

I'm in the central part of the state.  Check your personal messages.  I'll be in your area in a couple of weeks.

Offline RS

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 01:28:06 PM »
Grant is the future mayor of Toad Suck, AR.

Grant - AR

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Grant is the future mayor of Toad Suck, AR.

Either that or Pickles Gap, AR.   ^flag

fbrefga

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:19 PM »
In Georgia, we are paid $90 for a varsity game and the crew splits $50 in travel money.  We also use 6 man crews.  I greatly appreciate any food and drink that is provided by the school.  Personally, I do not eat anything within 2 1/2 hours of the kickoff.  I will eat some fruit and granola bars on my way to the game.  If the school provides food, I will wait until the end of the game to eat.

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:53 PM »
Either that or Pickles Gap, AR.   ^flag

Sad thing is...I know where both of them are located  nAnA

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 11:25:33 PM »
In Georgia, we are paid $90 for a varsity game and the crew splits $50 in travel money.  We also use 6 man crews.  I greatly appreciate any food and drink that is provided by the school.  Personally, I do not eat anything within 2 1/2 hours of the kickoff.  I will eat some fruit and granola bars on my way to the game.  If the school provides food, I will wait until the end of the game to eat.

Sounds pretty good to me...

We're stuck in the stone ages. ~$60 a varsity contest, no travel money and 5 man crews.

mbyron

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:03 AM »
Sounds pretty good to me...

We're stuck in the stone ages. ~$60 a varsity contest, no travel money and 5 man crews.

ITS, you might be from NE Ohio... same deal here.

chymechowder

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 09:51:38 PM »
$82 for varsity game in Mass.  5 man crews.

Most schools' concession stands offer us stuff, but our crew just takes waters. Maybe a gatorade.  I have seen guys, though, who strap on a bib for the "halftime free buffet."  (I don't get that. the lure of free food notwithstanding, who wants to scarf down two hotdogs and a slice of pizza before running around in the 2nd half? :))

mbyron

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 05:33:49 AM »
I don't get that. the lure of free food notwithstanding, who wants to scarf down two hotdogs and a slice of pizza before running around in the 2nd half? :)

An umpire?
 ;D