Author Topic: Question #2- What is fair pay for officials??  (Read 29595 times)

JohnRHumm

Re: Question #2- What is fair pay for officials??
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 08:37:19 AM »
WI. $50-55/game. No travel. 5 man crews.

ret66482

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
The pay for Department of Defense Schools (DoDDS), in Europe  is $45 for Varsity and and $35 for JV minus 5% scheduling fee plus 0.50 mileage.

Offline PanamaRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
I would be glad to work any of those places...

I get $22 a game as an Ump for V games.  no mileage or food or changing room no water no nothing.

If I am lucky I will fill in as a R and get $25 a game. 

I would be happy to go to Germany if there is a spot open around Spangdahlem or Bitberg..

Offline Aussie-Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
  • Australian Gridiron Officials Association
    • Gridironwest
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »
 :!#  you guys get paid ?

J.K. currently get paid $25 for a senior and $15 for a junior (U19) game.
No travel, byo food/drink

............ renegotiating on position/qualification/game level.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:54:07 AM by Aussie-Zebra »
For every coach that thinks we got it wrong there's another that thinks we got it right.

jimbulger

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2011, 11:14:38 PM »
In PA it varys 65-85 for a varsity contest.   Food varies greatly...some places we dont get hose water others we have been given a pre game snack, a half time meal, and a 6 pack of malted beverages after the game..  eAt&     as well as towels and deoderant shampoo and shower gel....

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2011, 03:30:08 PM »
I looked at my pay for the last few years.  In Texas, we are paid a percentage of the gate.  I worked mostly 5A with some 4A and my pay has averaged $125 over the last 3 years.  This includes $10 in town rider fee but no mileage.

We rarely get food, but usually have a nice clean place to change and hold a pregame with a warm shower, towels and water.  Some places do more, some do less.

Offline InsideTheStripes

• FAN REACTION: +0/-5
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
Officiating high school football in IL is charity work.  I work at a loss every year without even factoring in the value of my time.  What's fair pay?  I'm not sure, but I know we're not getting it in the Land of Lincoln.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
I looked at my pay for the last few years.  In Texas, we are paid a percentage of the gate.  I worked mostly 5A with some 4A and my pay has averaged $125 over the last 3 years.  This includes $10 in town rider fee but no mileage.

We rarely get food, but usually have a nice clean place to change and hold a pregame with a warm shower, towels and water.  Some places do more, some do less.

Wow.  You are getting shafted as am I.  This year  I worked a 5A vs 4A game and got $120.00,  3A game got $120, and a 1A game paid the most with $130.  Just trying to figure out how the 1A game paid more when it was clear by looking at the fans that the bigger classifications had more.  Oh well, compared to what others are posting I am very happy with my pay.  :)  Come to Texas boys and we'll pay you good here.  (for now anyways)

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »
Wow.  You are getting shafted as am I.  This year  I worked a 5A vs 4A game and got $120.00,  3A game got $120, and a 1A game paid the most with $130.  Just trying to figure out how the 1A game paid more when it was clear by looking at the fans that the bigger classifications had more.  Oh well, compared to what others are posting I am very happy with my pay.  :)  Come to Texas boys and we'll pay you good here.  (for now anyways)

The pay in Texas is nice, but I have read on the forums over the years about the TASO / UIL feud.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:30 PM »
The pay in Texas is nice, but I have read on the forums over the years about the TASO / UIL feud.

Football in Texas is like a National Holliday, especially in the smaller towns.  They will literally shut down the businesses early just to travel to the games.  You will see just as many visiting fans as you will home fans.  Perhaps it could be like that in other states.  With as many paying fans that show up, the officials pay is just minute in terms of what they collect at the gate.  They can afford it.

takemeaway10

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2011, 11:15:25 PM »
I don't know what fair pay is, but I know our association hasn't seen a pay raise in ages. $60 for Varsity + $8 travel. Texas sounds like the promised land... I've heard rumors about percentages of gate fees, but I didn't know if there was any truth to them!

How's the cost of living in Texas? What's the average rent for a 1/1 apartment?

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:08 AM »
In Texas it's not a "percentage" of the gate, merely a scale based upon ticket sales revenue.

ECILLJ

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
Officiating high school football in IL is charity work.  I work at a loss every year without even factoring in the value of my time.  What's fair pay?  I'm not sure, but I know we're not getting it in the Land of Lincoln.

I also work in Illinois and have never taken a loss (even with creative accounting I don't see how it could be possible). Considering the budgets the school districts are dealing with, I am very happy to be receiving $65 to $70 for a varsity game and $45 for an underclass game. Walking out of the locker room on Friday night still has a priceless value for me.

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »

Right now, the "feud" has nearly no impact on football officiating at all.  Everything is going as it always had.  It did cause a delay in the subvarsity fee increase which was going to be trivial anyway.  There may be a miniscule number of playoff games that go to "UIL-friendly" chapters but it has little impact on officiating in general. 

Offline InsideTheStripes

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 04:53:26 PM »
I also work in Illinois and have never taken a loss (even with creative accounting I don't see how it could be possible). Considering the budgets the school districts are dealing with, I am very happy to be receiving $65 to $70 for a varsity game and $45 for an underclass game. Walking out of the locker room on Friday night still has a priceless value for me.

It obviously means a great deal to me as well or I'd stop doing it. 

I'll be the first to admit that I work a pretty selective schedule and don't take every high school game I can get my hands on, so there's no "creative accounting" necessary.  I'm sure I could find more expenses, but with a few off the top of my head I'm already at a loss.

Revenue
Game fees (70 x 9) = 630

Expenses
Uniform refresh = 350
Association dues, clinics, etc. = 100
Transportation expenses = 200

Offline NorCalMike

• FAN REACTION: +23/-8
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
I work in Northern California. We receive$81 for varsity. $120 for JV/Varsity and $56 for freshman.
No travel fees.

As far as food goes most places gives us whatever we want at the snack bar. Some schools are better than others. I agree that small schools are more generous and have better food. Although most nights I just have a gatorade and a  sNiCkErS at half-time.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2011, 07:13:42 AM »

So true Jason, but you cannot fight the schools.  They essentially pay what they want.  If you question them then you are the bad guy.  I think we get paid fairly, for the most part.  I think sub varsity pay is too low though.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2011, 07:47:47 AM »
SubVarsity should be seen as a training ground for players, coaches AND officials not as a money maker.   If there is an area where we can help our own taxpayers, it is in limiting expenses to continue those programs.  The current pay scale is working as we do not have a shortage (except for those games in the hinterlands which is a whole 'nuther issue).  Besides, most guys make way too much on varsity games so it all comes out even in the wash.

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
Mike, if it were truly training ground, then why are all the D1's having to work them?  An example of what's wrong with sv pay, I worked a 6 man middle school game a couple weeks ago that went 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Pay was $35.  That's certainly not worth it for me to get out there but since I have work 5 Thursdays, I work them. 

I liked the pay we got a few years ago, $40 for all sv games regardless of level.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »
Mike, if it were truly training ground, then why are all the D1's having to work them?  An example of what's wrong with sv pay, I worked a 6 man middle school game a couple weeks ago that went 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Pay was $35.  That's certainly not worth it for me to get out there but since I have work 5 Thursdays, I work them. 

I liked the pay we got a few years ago, $40 for all sv games regardless of level.

1 - D1's need training as much as anyone else.  If you don't believe it, watch some of our Thursday Night Light broadcasts
2 - We have so many D1"s that if they did NOT work them, there would not be enough stripes to covwer the games
3 - If you let a 6-man MS game go 1:45 that sounds like a game management issue to me

Offline TexDoc

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
D1's need training with 5 man crews.  SV games do little in the training department for officials at this level.

I agree with covering games, but honestly, there are way too many games.  Some schools have 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 2 JV's.  Now cutting some of those games out could certainly save schools money.

Hey, we ran 8 minute quarters and cheated that clock as much as possible.  The biggest problem was the lack of receivers!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:23 AM »
D1's need training with 5 man crews.  SV games do little in the training department for officials at this level.

I am talking about Rules training not mechanics training.  They need that.

I agree with covering games, but honestly, there are way too many games.  Some schools have 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 2 JV's.  Now cutting some of those games out could certainly save schools money.

Agreed.  They might want to consider intramural programs if they want the kids doing things outside of school, using kids as officials.

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2011, 03:16:32 PM »
IMHO. If a D1 doesn't work like a D1 should then no amount of additional "training" is going to help, whether mechanics or rules.   I also believe that rules training occurs primarily through personal study and testing.  Application of the rules in game situations is an important skill to learn but your rules knowledge base (training) is established prior to walking onto the field.   

No matter how you look at it though we are not compensated enough for the total time committed to providing our services.

Offline InsideTheStripes

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »
No matter how you look at it though we are not compensated enough for the total time committed to providing our services.

Agreed.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2011, 03:24:19 PM »
IMHO. If a D1 doesn't work like a D1 should then no amount of additional "training" is going to help, whether mechanics or rules.   I also believe that rules training occurs primarily through personal study and testing.  Application of the rules in game situations is an important skill to learn but your rules knowledge base (training) is established prior to walking onto the field.   

If your "compensation" consists only of financial reward then you are in it for the wrong reason anyway.