Author Topic: NFL Looking for Refs  (Read 42958 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Re: NFL Looking for Refs
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
How many refs sat when the League used replacement players?   I think that partially explains the player's position.

The League knows the officiating will be criticized no matter who is reffing.  Being able to call them "replacement refs" may make it easier for some to find fault but bottom line is the regulars make mistakes too.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »
If your income was $50K/year, wouldn't you pay $20 more per year to make your life much better?

That would depend on how much I had after buying all necessities.  If I only have $15, then the answer is obviously "No".      >:D

ECILLJ

« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
Regardless of how you feel about the NFL / Referees issue. The replacement crew that worked last nights Giants / Cowboys games did a great job.

Offline TXMike

El Macman

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2012, 11:12:05 AM »
Didn't watch the whole game, but they seemed to do OK while I was watching. Except, in the first period (I think) the R signaled and announced "clipping." When they showed a replay, what they showed was a plain vanilla block in the back. Unless it was some other action, then the announcement and signal were either wrong, or the calling official doesn't know the difference between a clip and an illegal block in the back. That is hard to imagine, these days. Are the penalties different in the NFL, i.e., IBB 10 yards, CLP 15 yards? They announced 1/2 the distance, but I don't know if it was from inside or outside the 20. Anybody see this?

I'll tell you one thing. Regulars or replacements, the two fuzzy microphones on the U's hat look really stupid. (They are microphones, aren't they? They aren't, somehow, video cameras - are they? No matter - they still look stupid.)

Offline TXMike

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »
I believe one is a microphone and one is a camera

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
That IBB looked like a side block to me, never mind that it wasn't clipping. A hold was missed on Cruz in the end zone but that's a tough place to pick one up and I've seen regulars miss that. I also wasn't sure about the DPI the B threw on the TD, didn't seem like much to me.

They didn't look terrible but they were at least a little rough. I wish the R would've quit yelling into his mic but I understand nerves surely had something to do with that. I also noticed that he used the Federation DOG signal instead of the NFL...just found that funny.

maven

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
That IBB looked like a side block to me, never mind that it wasn't clipping. A hold was missed on Cruz in the end zone but that's a tough place to pick one up and I've seen regulars miss that. I also wasn't sure about the DPI the B threw on the TD, didn't seem like much to me.

They didn't look terrible but they were at least a little rough. I wish the R would've quit yelling into his mic but I understand nerves surely had something to do with that. I also noticed that he used the Federation DOG signal instead of the NFL...just found that funny.
Exactly my notes on this game. I'm not as forgiving about the missed hold in the EZ: that was a BIG jersey pull, visible from 3 camera angles. Somebody pretty obviously came off his key there.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
How many refs sat when the League used replacement players?   I think that partially explains the player's position.

The League knows the officiating will be criticized no matter who is reffing.  Being able to call them "replacement refs" may make it easier for some to find fault but bottom line is the regulars make mistakes too.

I'm at the point where I believe it's time to stop calling them "replacement officials".  Once they reach the regular season, they're just "officials".

Offline TXMike

« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2012, 10:28:31 PM »
Do you think if the League and NFLRA settled tonight that any of these officials would be working more than 1 more week at most?  I don't.  Not saying tey are not capable, just syaing that is the reality.  Therefore, for now they are the "replacement officials" and not the ones the League really wishes they had out there.

Offline Rulesman

• Past Keeper of the Keys
  • Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +65535/-2
  • Live like tomorrow never comes.
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »
...for now they are the "replacement officials" and not the ones the League really wishes they had out there.
"The League" really doesn't care. If they cared, this thing would be settled by now. That said, I watched most of the 4Q of the Ravens-Bengals and the entire 1st half of the Chargers-Raiders. I can honestly say I couldn't find fault with too many things. The biggest question was the PF call against the Ravens that Harbaugh went nuts over and even Gerry Austin backed the R as being correct.

And the Raiders are still the Raiders. Nothing has changed, no matter who is working the game.  ^flag after  ^flag after  ^flag...
"Gentlemen, we are going to relentlessly chase perfection, knowing full well we will not catch it, because nothing is perfect. But we are going to relentlessly chase it, because in the process we will catch excellence. I am not remotely interested in just being good."
- Vince Lombardi

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:26 AM »
Do you think if the League and NFLRA settled tonight that any of these officials would be working more than 1 more week at most?  I don't.  Not saying tey are not capable, just syaing that is the reality.  Therefore, for now they are the "replacement officials" and not the ones the League really wishes they had out there.

If they settled tonight, sure. Give it two more weeks and I don't know if the league ever settles.