Author Topic: Rules book  (Read 3364 times)

Offline LJ1977

• FAN REACTION: +0/-2
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Rules book
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
Does a new college rules book come out this year and when are they usually released

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Rules book
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
Since around 2011, their intent has been to publish a new book on a two-year cycle.  The schedule has been a bit erratic, but I believe they are now on track with publishing a new book in even numbered years, which means we should see a new book this year.  The PDF version is usually available in April.  Hard copies afterward.

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 12:58:52 PM »
From 2009-2014, it was a 2 year cycle with SOME updates the second year. 2015 was a 1 year cycle, then back to a 2 year with 2016-17. I don't know why. Last year, there was an "edited" PDF that came out with the 2017 updates. I suspect they will continue with that, so essentially, if you download PDFs, there will be a new one each year where the second year only has minor changes.

For me, hard copies are essentially obsolete. I'm going to get a football only tablet this spring to take with me to all training sessions and games. I will put the rule book on it and have direct links to training stuff and videos. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap(er) tablet? I've only used iPads and don't really want to take mine to a game.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 10:09:37 PM »
From 2009-2014, it was a 2 year cycle with SOME updates the second year. 2015 was a 1 year cycle, then back to a 2 year with 2016-17. I don't know why. Last year, there was an "edited" PDF that came out with the 2017 updates. I suspect they will continue with that, so essentially, if you download PDFs, there will be a new one each year where the second year only has minor changes.

For me, hard copies are essentially obsolete. I'm going to get a football only tablet this spring to take with me to all training sessions and games. I will put the rule book on it and have direct links to training stuff and videos. Anyone have any suggestions for a cheap(er) tablet? I've only used iPads and don't really want to take mine to a game.

I still like the paper copy.  I can quickly find what I need by going to the page I need and then flipping to to rule where that page may take me.  I do that much quicker than an electronic version.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:54:43 AM »
I wish the PDF version had links for the rule and A.R. references. Would make it much more usable.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
I wish the PDF version had links for the rule and A.R. references. Would make it much more usable.

May not work on IOS but on a computer, use the upgraded Adobe editor. It has a find feature
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »
May not work on IOS but on a computer, use the upgraded Adobe editor. It has a find feature

Yes, Find works, but it is much more difficult than just clicking the link.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:40 PM »

I set bookmarks in Acrobat for easy access to all rules sections including the A.R.'s: