Author Topic: Crazy Play  (Read 9224 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Crazy Play
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:16:08 AM »
Here is a crazy play to get your brain in a twist.  Have fun.

4th quarter and there are 14 seconds on the game clock as the play begins, time expires during the play just as B10 recovers the ball. 4th & 16 from the 50. Kicker A25 attempts a rugby style punt that is blocked by B50 at the B-48 yard line. The ball deflects back into Team A's backfield area where it is picked up by B70 at the A-48 yard line. B70 carries the ball ten yards before he is stripped by A25 at the A-38 yard line. A25 picks up the fumble and carries it forward while clearly remaining inside the tackle box. Realizing he cannot make the line to gain, he establishes himself to kick the ball at the A-43 yard line. As he kicks the ball downfield, he is simultaneously hit hard by B50 who does not touch the ball and was legally blocked into A25 by A15.

B35, after giving a valid fair catch signal, attempts to catch the ball at the B-30 yard line where he is not given an unimpeded opportunity to make the catch. As the ball comes down, it strikes A45 in the shoulder at the B-31 yard line before it hits B35 in the leg at the B-30 yard line, the ball caroms toward the Team A goal line. Returner B35 immediately blocks A45 at the B-29 yard line to keep him from recovering the ball. The ball is recovered by B10 at the B-24. A45 "spears" B10 at the B-24 yard line after he covers the ball. During the kick, the Line Judge runs into a member of the Team A coaching staff who was three yards on the field as he retreated downfield to help cover the kick. No whistles were sounded nor any signal given until B10 recovered the ball at the B-24. Time expired just before the recovery.

Ruling:

cmathews

Re: Crazy Play
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:14 AM »
R:  "the previous play is under further review" 
reasons  scrimmage kick crossing the LOS....or non players being on the field during the play....the review will then be able to put the correct time on the clock when the A "kicker" made a return kick, which is an illegal kick which causes the ball to become dead.  A is not going to be happy, because we will most likely penalize their foul for someone being on the field...and for the spearing after the play.....

Offline mishatx

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
  • Free Agent
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:02:29 PM »
Well, the play ended when A25 kicked the ball when there was no neutral zone. Time will need to be added to the clock, if anyone noticed what the time was when the kick was made.

I have no foul on B50 if he indeed hits A25 as he's illegally kicking the ball and did so as a result of a legal block.

There is no foul for KCI during a dead ball.  There is no foul for blocking after calling a fair catch during a dead ball that everyone thinks is live, unless flagrant.  Spearing must be called, so DB PF on A45.  Can't have sideline interference during a dead ball.

Enforce the penalty for A25's return kick, which puts the ball at the A-38. Enforce the penalty for A45's spearing which puts the ball at the A-18.  A 1/10. Put 7 seconds or so on the clock.  Starts at the snap.

chymechowder

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
The punt block is deemed to have occurred behind the NZ.  I have roughing the kicker on B50.  (Assuming A25 established himself enough to convey that a kick was going to happen.) Being blocked doesn't get B50 off the hook b/c it was a legal block.

KCI on A45.  B35 is ok to block after his signal, b/c the ball touched him.  Ball becomes dead at the B24 b/c Team B has recovered after a signal.  Dead ball PF on A45 (he’s a busy boy).

I have a 5-yard game administration interference penalty on the A coach for being out of their area. Penalized as deadball foul.

So: the two live ball fouls offset. We march off 20 against Team A. Replay 4th down from the A30.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:12:48 PM by chymechowder »

Offline Hawkeye

• FAN REACTION: +17/-2
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
I agree with Mishatx, except that "spearing" (now "targeting") s 15 yards not 20 yards, putting the ball at the A-23.  Clock starts on the snap.

chymechowder

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 01:55:31 PM »
What's wrong with A25's kick?  The ball is not considered to have crossed the neutral zone yet.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:22:34 PM »
What's wrong with A25's kick?  The ball is not considered to have crossed the neutral zone yet.

See rule 2-15-8.

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 02:24:00 PM »
when b70 gains possession of the ball you have a new set of downs if he retains possession.  when he is stripped of the ball you have another change of possession and a will have a new set of downs if i am reading this right.  why would a then try to kick the ball again?

chymechowder

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 02:27:02 PM »
Ah, missed that. Thanks!

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +100/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »
when b70 gains possession of the ball you have a new set of downs if he retains possession.  when he is stripped of the ball you have another change of possession and a will have a new set of downs if i am reading this right.  why would a then try to kick the ball again?

Maybe they don't know the rules???  ;D
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 02:32:59 PM »
Maybe they don't know the rules???  ;D

Players not knowing the rules? Shocking!  ;D

Offline mishatx

• Free Agent
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:46:27 PM »
I agree with Mishatx, except that "spearing" (now "targeting") s 15 yards not 20 yards, putting the ball at the A-23.  Clock starts on the snap.

Never said I could count.  That's why I'm not an umpire.

rickref

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:16:49 PM »
Jason are you friggin bored today? ;)

I agree with Mishatx just woudl be tough to determine how much time was left. 

T.C. Welton

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 10:17:12 PM »
Wow, I thought I had a rough three games tonight...I will review this nightmare tomorrow...

Offline Welpe

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 11:10:46 PM »
Hmmm true story from a 7th grade Level F game or an AR from heck. ?:)

Offline Skuza

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 10:01:49 AM »
Well, the play ended when A25 kicked the ball when there was no neutral zone. Time will need to be added to the clock, if anyone noticed what the time was when the kick was made.

I have no foul on B50 if he indeed hits A25 as he's illegally kicking the ball and did so as a result of a legal block.

There is no foul for KCI during a dead ball.  There is no foul for blocking after calling a fair catch during a dead ball that everyone thinks is live, unless flagrant.  Spearing must be called, so DB PF on A45.  Can't have sideline interference during a dead ball.

Enforce the penalty for A25's return kick, which puts the ball at the A-38. Enforce the penalty for A45's spearing which puts the ball at the A-18.  A 1/10. Put 7 seconds or so on the clock.  Starts at the snap.

Play is dead when A 25 illegal kicked the ball.