Author Topic: Roughing kicker as time expires  (Read 3592 times)

Offline BankerRef

• FAN REACTION: +12/-3
Roughing kicker as time expires
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:03:14 PM »
Team A lines up for a field goal and the attempt is good as time expires in the first half.  During the play Team B roughs the kicker.  The scoring team coach says he want's to keep the points but would like to have the roughing enforced on the free kick to open the second half.  What options are you giving to Team A?

What if it was a try and not a field goal?

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
Re: Roughing kicker as time expires
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 04:40:39 PM »
I had this in an 8th grade game two weeks ago.  I'd love to hear others thoughts on it.  I did it according to the rule below.

10-2-g-4

Penalties for live ball fouls during FG plays are administered by rule.  To accept the points on a successful FG, Team A must decline penalties for live ball fouls.  By accepting the penalty for a Team B live ball foul, Team A elects to cancel the score and have the penalty enforced at the previous spot.  Penalties for live ball fouls treated as dead ball fouls and those for dead ball fouls after a FG are enforced at the succeeding spot.

A try would carry over by rule.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:43:04 PM by blindref757 »

KB

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 01:44:00 AM »
Since, after scoring a TD, A has no better option that would yield more points, penalties for team B PFs can carry over, to avoid giving B a chance for unpenalized cheap shots.

When scoring a FG, A has the option of going for a TD, so B risks being penalized with 3 to 5 points if A accepts the penalty. So here A has the option of going with 3 by declining the penalty or going for 6+1 (or 6+2).

On a try, A has the same options they have during a successful FG attempt, but additionally they can elect to keep the score and have the penalty carry over, if it was for a PF.

So, on a try:
a) A scores one point, B was offside. A can either keep the 1 point and decline the penalty, or try to go for 2 from the 1.5.
b) A scores one point, B commits a PF. A can keep the point and have the penalty carry over, or try for 2.
c) A scores 2 points, B was offside: decline the penalty, no better option.
d) A scores 2 points, B commits PF: carry over, no better option.

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
I had this in an 8th grade game two weeks ago.  I'd love to hear others thoughts on it.  I did it according to the rule below.

10-2-g-4

quote]

Are you in Texas, LA (?), or Mass?  8th grade games are played with NCAA rules?  If not, NFHS rules differ from what KB gave you.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:43:51 PM »
Curious,

He is in Texas and yes we use NCAA rules at all levels. We do have some exceptions, notably timing rules are reverted back to 2005 ( pre- 40 second clock)

" I don't make the rules coach!"