Author Topic: Motion through the neutral zone  (Read 1337 times)

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Motion through the neutral zone
« on: September 10, 2023, 10:18:47 AM »
Troy/Kansas State game, a WR for Troy goes in motion by running down the neutral zone/defensive side of the ball before resetting behind the line before the snap. Video Here

Outside of the entire crew freezing because they've never seen this before, is there a reason why this wouldn't be a false start or encroachment on the offense? I'm more familiar with Fed rules, so maybe there's a reason why things are different here too.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
Re: Motion through the neutral zone
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 04:32:47 PM »
There was a similar play in the TX vs Ala game. The ball was made RFP and the play clock was counting at about 21 sec.  Alabama is on the LOS.  Either a TE or slot enters the neutral zone and moves from the left to the right side. The play was then run.  Isn't this offensive encroachment?

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 05:02:29 PM »
There was a similar play in the TX vs Ala game. The ball was made RFP and the play clock was counting at about 21 sec.  Alabama is on the LOS.  Either a TE or slot enters the neutral zone and moves from the left to the right side. The play was then run.  Isn't this offensive encroachment?

Yes, under NFHS rules.

I do not know about NCAA.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 01:36:01 AM »
See rule 7-1-3-c. Not sure how various supervisors want this to be enforced, though.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 09:59:45 AM »
Disclaimer: I don't work the line of scrimmage so I could be wrong here.

Is this really considered going in motion?  It looks to me like he's getting settled into a position and looks to the sideline where the coaches tell him he's on the wrong side of the formation.  I think he might just be getting lined up.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 05:52:12 PM »
While I certainly don't know how coordinators would want it called (or not), from my perspective, I tend to agree with you - there was no advantage gained, so I would be ok with treating this as an early season aberration/error, more than a foul.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 08:44:22 PM »
While I certainly don't know how coordinators would want it called (or not), from my perspective, I tend to agree with you - there was no advantage gained, so I would be ok with treating this as an early season aberration/error, more than a foul.

So are you saying no foul in week 2 but it is a foul in week 10?

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +53/-9
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 09:07:46 PM »
This is a foul. If the defense switched its strength and the DE went around the OL to get there, nobody would flinch at having a flag. But the offense does this and all of a sudden we want to make excuses for them. Just flag them.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 07:53:05 AM »
 :puke:
So are you saying no foul in week 2 but it is a foul in week 10?

No, I'm saying this is something I would expect to see in pee wee/youth football, not college, was unintentional, and not something you would really ever see late in the season at this level.

Offline Imperial Stout

• FAN REACTION: +1/-1
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 12:16:14 PM »
The simple case of encroachment with a WR lining up well over a yard beyond the neutral zone was flagged last Saturday in the Colorado v Nebraska game.

Offline Snapper

• FAN REACTION: +14/-2
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 12:34:17 PM »
The simple case of encroachment with a WR lining up well over a yard beyond the neutral zone was flagged last Saturday in the Colorado v Nebraska game.

Michigan got flagged for something similar for what Colorado did sometime in the first two weeks.

My guess is that the motion play everyone is discussing will be on Shaw's training tape this week.  In the meantime, I know that my bosses have instructed us to flag that.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »

Was it flagged as DBF?

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »