Author Topic: Calling all LJs!  (Read 5953 times)

Offline refjimb

• JimBLJ
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Calling all LJs!
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »
Hi All,

First post here.  Been an official for a few years now, but this is my first year on a full-time Varsity crew, and I'll be an LJ all year which means I finally get to focus on one position.

I wanted to see if there were any experienced Line Judges that have any advice as to what was challenging for them at first in that position, and any tips in general?  Any rules or mechanics that are confusing or worthwhile to focus on (besides all of them).  Tips on working with coaches?

Everything is helpful, thanks in advance!

Jim D.

Re: Calling all LJs!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
I always introduce myself to the coach before the game and ask him to come to me with any questions or problems.  Then midway through the first quarter during a stoppage (if the situation allows it -don't go up to a coach just after you flagged his team or they gave up a big play) and I'll ask the coach if everything is OK or are there any issues.   That seems to help a lot. 

If the coach is an BUTT, I'll still introduce myself, but I won't follow up later.

You need to learn how to read the coaches - is the guy approachable?, Can you talk with him?  Can you very lightly kid with him, or is he all business?  Can you help him, or will he chew your head off if you mention anything. 

Each coach is different so treat them all differently.  Be approachable, but let them dictate the level of the relationship.  I'd rather the coach deal with me than trying to yell into the R all the time.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
One thing I found as an LJ is you can really help the R out on plays close to the LTG, because you're looking at the stakes all night long.  If a play ends and the play is clearly beyond the front stake, go ahead and give the signal to kill the clock; your R should be able to figure out that he's got a first down, and signal the H accordingly.  If it's clearly short of the LTG, come in and (if your mechanics allow) signal the next down, so the R knows as well.  if it's close, you can really help by telling him to "take a look, take a look", so he'll know to come up and take a look and see if a measurement is warranted. 

(You didn't hear it from me, but that's also a great tactic to run off a few more seconds in a blowout, too - that "close to the front stake" seems to get a lot harder to tell when it's a 40 point ballgame... :) )

Also, while keeping an eye on the clock is a crew responsibility, when I work L I try even harder to keep my eye on it to make sure it stops or starts as appropriate.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
The best LJ's and HL's I know get 98-100% of their line of scrimmage calls correct.  The best way to get these correct is have a very good pre-snap routine.  Getting these calls wrong is usually due to a lack of focus.  If you can concentrate EVERY play and be ready at all times for a False start, Encroachment, or shift, you'll do great! Good luck!

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 07:22:22 AM »
If a play ends and the play is clearly beyond the front stake, go ahead and give the signal to kill the clock; your R should be able to figure out that he's got a first down, and signal the H accordingly. 

I ask my LJ to give me a verbal "We got a first" as well as stopping the clock.  There are several reasons to stop the clock that don't involve a first down.

Offline bossman72

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
I ask my LJ to give me a verbal "We got a first" as well as stopping the clock.  There are several reasons to stop the clock that don't involve a first down.

I try to give a visible point in front of my chest too.  Sometimes he can't hear me.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »

As a LJ, pre-game I was told to stop the clock only on a CLEAR first down and let the R stop it was close, and he would determine if we would measure. He said he trusted the LJ's call on a clear first down.

Well, we had a close play last year. 3rd and 10, QB went way back, moved around, scrambled, long play, threw a pass, receiver ran 5 yards after the catch. It seemed like a long play but only netted about 9 1/2 yards. I was LJ, stopped the clock. The referee incorrectly assumed that it was a first down, and about 30 yards from me, started to give the first down signal. I had to yell for him that it wasn't a first down. He was irritated, until he understood.

What we had was - the ball was just short - but I stopped the clock because a player's helmet came off. A new rule last year.

So we always have to be on our toes!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:47:30 AM by bbeagle »

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »
As a LJ, pre-game I was told to stop the clock only on a CLEAR first down and let the R stop it was close, and he would determine if we would measure. He said he trusted the LJ's call on a clear first down.

I never understand the referees who don't trust the eyesight of their LJ's to decide if it is a 1st down, next down or measurement. I personally don't have any magic eyes that tell the difference any better than other officials'.

Offline refjimb

• JimBLJ
  • FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 09:41:13 AM »
Thanks a ton everyone.  This has been really great, and it's one of the things I love about the officiating community that experience officials are very willing to help out newer ones.

Offline bkdow

• FAN REACTION: +9/-3
  • Striving for the impossible level of perfection
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 09:41:32 AM »
I am moving to H this year after years as an L.  By advice of an excellent senior official, I give my R the "5 will get you 10" comment.  If we have a 5 yard penalty, the offense gets a first down. 

I tried to give him the comment "it's close" when he needed to look at it.  This is always easier on a turf field but more important on a poorly marked (and usually poorly lit) grass field.  Make sure you have a first before killing the clock...especially when officiating those teams with Down marker colored, orange helmets.  hEaDbAnG
"Don't let perfection get in the way of really good." John Lucivansky

pjsaul

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
As a younger LJ, I have a question for you guys.  When do your eyes tend to move from one focus area to the next over the course of a play?

On runs, when are you focusing on the blocking near the LOS, and when are you focusing on the ball carrier?

On passes, when do you begin focusing on your key? When are you moving downfield on passing plays?

Offline bossman72

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 12:59:34 PM »
As a younger LJ, I have a question for you guys.  When do your eyes tend to move from one focus area to the next over the course of a play?

First we start with our normal progression - snap, tackle, back (or key).  The play then dictates where my eyes go.  On a run up the middle, I can only really see the tackle or TE.  I will then try to find the ball.  On a stretch or sweep to my side, I watch the Tackle or TE since those will be the key edge blocks that will spring the runner.  On plays away, I clean up backside and will mirror the spot of my opposite wing (ALWAYS give good soft spots!).  On pass plays, my head is on a swivel between my tackle, my receiver key, and the QB.  I need to know what they are all doing.  Try and find the guy who is in the most trouble between your tackle and receiver key, but always keep an eye on your QB since you are responsible for forward/backward pass.

On runs, when are you focusing on the blocking near the LOS, and when are you focusing on the ball carrier?

I'm focused on blocking until the ball carrier is threatened, meaning someone is about to or is contacting him.  Once again, head on a swivel.

On passes, when do you begin focusing on your key? When are you moving downfield on passing plays?

Well, in 6 and 7 man mechanics, the LJ always holds the LOS.  HL will drift 5 if his key takes him there.  If my key is not pressed, I can get a look at my tackle.  If he is pressed, I need to see the initial contact of him while still keeping an eye on my tackle and QB.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »

Well, we had a close play last year. 3rd and 10, QB went way back, moved around, scrambled, long play, threw a pass, receiver ran 5 yards after the catch. It seemed like a long play but only netted about 9 1/2 yards. I was LJ, stopped the clock. The referee incorrectly assumed that it was a first down, and about 30 yards from me, started to give the first down signal. I had to yell for him that it wasn't a first down. He was irritated, until he understood.

What we had was - the ball was just short - but I stopped the clock because a player's helmet came off. A new rule last year.

Oh yeah, there's definitely additional communication involved - verbally ("First down, Wayne!  First down!") or some sort of signal.  Good point, though, especially since I didn't mention it.