Author Topic: Drones  (Read 23499 times)

Offline Stinterp

• FAN REACTION: +4/-16
Drones
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:11:37 PM »
How are you handling drones flying over the field during a game?
I am invoking rule 1-1-6 and am not playing the game with a drone flying overhead.  I am going to game management and getting the drone grounded or game is stopped.

NJOfficial

Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:06 PM »
At our rules interpretation meeting they told us no drones allowed.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 06:04:28 AM »
No drones over the field or stadium permitted in NC.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 07:37:53 AM »
Should be a state rule or interp.  Without one, I wouldn't let one over the playing field during play.  Pregame, halftime, even time outs, fine, but not over the field during play.  What they do outside the confines of the field is their business, not mine. 

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
Should be a state rule or interp.  Without one, I wouldn't let one over the playing field during play.  Pregame, halftime, even time outs, fine, but not over the field during play.  What they do outside the confines of the field is their business, not mine.

There's the old caution about, "Not letting a camel get it's nose inside the tent", because wherever that nose goes, the rest of the camel will assuredly follow.  Drones and playing fields (with or without large surrounding crowds) iS simply a REALLY BAD IDEA, whose potential consequences FAR OUTWEIGH any and all potential benefits.

This is an envelope the INEVITABLE pushing the seams of, points directly to disaster.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:25 AM »
There's the old caution about, "Not letting a camel get it's nose inside the tent", because wherever that nose goes, the rest of the camel will assuredly follow.  Drones and playing fields (with or without large surrounding crowds) iS simply a REALLY BAD IDEA, whose potential consequences FAR OUTWEIGH any and all potential benefits.

This is an envelope the INEVITABLE pushing the seams of, points directly to disaster.
I'm not saying I disagree, but outside the playing field is not the officials' concern.  That's a game management/state association/FAA issue.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »
I'm not saying I disagree, but outside the playing field is not the officials' concern.  That's a game management/state association/FAA issue.

Until such time the NYSPSAA decrees, and defines how, and under what circumstances drones are acceptable, I'm considering this applicable to NFHS 1-1-6 and within the Referee's jurisdiction.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »
Until such time the NYSPSAA decrees, and defines how, and under what circumstances drones are acceptable, I'm considering this applicable to NFHS 1-1-6 and within the Referee's jurisdiction.
So the home team is flying a drone over the crowd, away from the field, and you are going to stop the game and order it stopped?  Are you going to stop the game because the intersection outside the stadium isn't being manned by a police officer?  Or how about if you feel the hot dogs in the concession stand aren't all beef?

1-1-6 pertains to the GAME.  Your jurisdiction applies to things on the field, the team boxes or affects the play on the field. 

NJOfficial

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »
So the home team is flying a drone over the crowd, away from the field, and you are going to stop the game and order it stopped?  Are you going to stop the game because the intersection outside the stadium isn't being manned by a police officer?  Or how about if you feel the hot dogs in the concession stand aren't all beef?

1-1-6 pertains to the GAME.  Your jurisdiction applies to things on the field, the team boxes or affects the play on the field.

Yes. If the home team is flying the drone over the crowd it can be an advantage if it has a camera and dangerous if it crashes into the fans or onto the field.  I prefer beef and pork hot dogs so I am ok without all beef hot dogs.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 05:37:47 PM »
Yes. If the home team is flying the drone over the crowd it can be an advantage if it has a camera

Yes it can, one allowed by the rules.   1-6-2

and dangerous if it crashes into the fans or onto the field.

Until it affects whats ON the field, the fans aren't your problem.  Suppose the home team put more fans in the stands than allowed by their fire permit?  Are you stopping the game?  Suppose the stairs to one part of the stands look rickety to your untrained eye, are you stopping the game?  Suppose the sidewalk by the front gate has a sinkhole?  Are you stopping the game?

If the drone flies over the field, now it's affecting the game, and it's your problem.  If it crashes on the field, it's your problem, and you can handle it.  But a drone outside the field isn't your problem or your jurisdiction.

Game management can't call fouls, and officials don't rule on the stands.  You handle the field and let game management do its job.

NJOfficial

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 05:51:04 PM »
Yes it can, one allowed by the rules.   1-6-2

Until it affects whats ON the field, the fans aren't your problem.  Suppose the home team put more fans in the stands than allowed by their fire permit?  Are you stopping the game?  Suppose the stairs to one part of the stands look rickety to your untrained eye, are you stopping the game?  Suppose the sidewalk by the front gate has a sinkhole?  Are you stopping the game?

If the drone flies over the field, now it's affecting the game, and it's your problem.  If it crashes on the field, it's your problem, and you can handle it.  But a drone outside the field isn't your problem or your jurisdiction.

Game management can't call fouls, and officials don't rule on the stands.  You handle the field and let game management do its job.

So we should just wait until something bad happens before making a decision? I am betting you bought smoke alarms for your house after you had a fire.

I cant believe that you can't see the difference between a drone above the stands and sinkhole in the sidewalk.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2015, 05:59:13 PM »
I cant believe that you can't see the difference between a drone above the stands and sinkhole in the sidewalk.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
I'm not saying there isn't a chance of a problem.  I'm saying it's not the REFEREE's problem.  It's a game management issue, not a game official issue.  Just like all those other things I facetiously mentioned, they are all potential problems, they just aren't YOUR problem.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »

Nonsense. NF: 1-1-6 provides the Refereee with the authority to deal with ANYTHING, ANYWHERE that is decided has a material (actual or potential), rational effect on the game.  Of course the wisdom of the Referee's judgment is always subject to question.

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 12:35:13 PM »
OHSAA via Twitter

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
We in Alabama (in addition to being fashion police, sideline cops & concussion experts) apparently are going to have to go to Air Traffic Controller school:

"The AHSAA has adopted a policy regarding the use of “Drones” prior to or during an
interscholastic contest between member schools.
The use of “Drones” for any athletic purpose inside the confines of a building is strictly
prohibited at all times.
The use of a “Drone” at an outdoor interscholastic contest may be used but must remain
outside the field of play at all times. It also cannot be flown over an area where spectators
(people) are gathering or sitting prior to or during an interscholastic contest.
The host school of any interscholastic contest between member schools has the authority to
prohibit the use of “Drones”.
The use of “Drones” may at anytime be prohibited by the contest officials if the contest officials
determine that the “Drones” would cause an unreasonable risk or distraction.
(my emphasis)

I'm just thankful that they've clarified that spectators are people.   nAnA

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
Nonsense. NF: 1-1-6 provides the Refereee with the authority to deal with ANYTHING, ANYWHERE that is decided has a material (actual or potential), rational effect on the game.  Of course the wisdom of the Referee's judgment is always subject to question.
The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

And exactly how does a drone over the stands have anything to do WITH THE GAME?

I know they call it the god rule, but that doesn't really make you God.  If I'm the game manager, and I don't think it's a problem, I'm telling to do your job, and I'll do mine.  Any response other than "yes, sir", and my next call is to the state.  And dollars to donuts, they'll tell you the same thing.

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

The powers in NY have decreed and they agree with AB.

There was a communication from the NYSPHSAA last year, maybe two years ago.   It was sent to the schools by the NYSPHSAA.  It states that drones may not fly over football fields that are properly marked and they must stay outside the 2 yard area that surrounds the field and not fly over players and coaches.  It went on to say that the school districts could make up their own restrictions and ban them if they choose.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
The referee has authority to rule promptly, and in the spirit of good sportsmanship, on any situation not specifically covered in the rules. The referee's decisions are final in all matters pertaining to the game.

And exactly how does a drone over the stands have anything to do WITH THE GAME?

I know they call it the god rule, but that doesn't really make you God.  If I'm the game manager, and I don't think it's a problem, I'm telling to do your job, and I'll do mine.  Any response other than "yes, sir", and my next call is to the state.  And dollars to donuts, they'll tell you the same thing.

It has nothing to do with God, or any God rule, as much as it is common sense.  When some wing nut decides to put me, all of the players (not to mention the spectators-who are totally beyond my control, or interest) in jeopardy, I'm putting an end to it, and if that means stopping the contest until that happens, so be it. 

I also understand I have no control, or authority, over lightning, but I'm not waiting for anyone else to authorize what I consider appropriate precautions, and I'm not that concerned that anyone on a sideline, or "someone at the State" might question my assessment regarding my judgment involving the safety of participants.

Wasn't it just yesterday a trained and qualified English pilot dumped a fighter jet in the middle of a highway killing a number of unsuspecting "spectators".  Doubtful that was planned as part of the aerial show. Being from Georgia, you might consider what Forrest Guump warned, that sometimes "Stuff happens".
(that doesn't mean ignore the possibility of "Stuff")

As for NYSPHSAA, until I am shown a "copy of a communication" and told to read what it says, I'm not aware of who, or what, it was intended for or what it entails.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:54:02 PM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline Atlanta Blue

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 07:54:55 PM »
When some wing nut decides to put me, all of the players
I'm glad you agree with me.  You just said the same thing I have said from the very beginning: if it's over the field and endangers you, the players or the game, by all means, stop the game and have it removed.  The field, the team areas, and the two yards beyond it are under your jurisdiction.

(not to mention the spectators-who are totally beyond my control, or interest)
Exactly, they are beyond your control or interest.  If it's over the stands, it's a game management, not a game, issue

Being from Georgia, you might consider what Forrest Guump warned, that sometimes "Stuff happens".
(that doesn't mean ignore the possibility of "Stuff")

Why would I know anything about Forrest Gump, a fictional character from ALABAMA.

If the New York State Association allows you to stop the game for things that have nothing to do with the game, that's between you and them.  Thankfully, we have a much better system here, where officials worry about game, and leave game management issues to the experts in that area.

Jim D

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
In Missouri drones are not allowed over the restricted area, however they can be over the sideline/endzone/stadium.  If one gets over the field, we are to notify game management to make it go away and suspend the game until it does.  No penalties can be assessed - we just wait for it to move from over the playing field.

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »
Apologies to Alabama, although the reference holds. Apparently we hold different perceptions about what "pertaining to the game" includes. 

If I were somehow to observe a spectator (clearly in the stands, apart from the playing field) brandishing a sniper rifle, rather than authorization, I'd likely consider it prudent, and within my range of authority, to unilaterally immediately suspend play and clear the field.

I would consider a drone, flying above the field, and/or adjacent viewing areas as much of a potential hazard to all players on the field, and take responsibility to do what I thought appropriate, and deal with whatever nit-picking that may follow.

That simply may be a difference of perception of responsibility from different sides of a sideline.

Offline Eastshire

• FAN REACTION: +6/-2
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »
Apologies to Alabama, although the reference holds. Apparently we hold different perceptions about what "pertaining to the game" includes. 

If I were somehow to observe a spectator (clearly in the stands, apart from the playing field) brandishing a sniper rifle, rather than authorization, I'd likely consider it prudent, and within my range of authority, to unilaterally immediately suspend play and clear the field.

I would consider a drone, flying above the field, and/or adjacent viewing areas as much of a potential hazard to all players on the field, and take responsibility to do what I thought appropriate, and deal with whatever nit-picking that may follow.

That simply may be a difference of perception of responsibility from different sides of a sideline.

If you honestly consider a drone to be a brandished lethal weapon, you are seriously mistaken. Drones are not weapons and being in flight is not the same as being brandished. Drones are not nearly as dangerous as you are making them out to be.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »
What IF IN OUR SKIES WE SPY..................................................THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!!!

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR:

Offline AlUpstateNY

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
If you honestly consider a drone to be a brandished lethal weapon, you are seriously mistaken. Drones are not weapons and being in flight is not the same as being brandished. Drones are not nearly as dangerous as you are making them out to be.

Are you serious, or just being deliberately silly?  How large is the drone, you're not concerned about, flying? How fast is it flying?, From how high up is it falling? How competent is the person flying it? How sane is the person flying it?  I don't even want to consider all the unknown possibilities some wingnut might decide to attach to his drone, so how can anyone have any idea how benign a drone might be, OR NOT.

Would you be comfortable if someone in a helicopter decided to watch the game hovering over the stands? It doesn't happen often, but even helicopters flown by expert pilots develop unanticipated problems and unexpectedly come down.  When that happens, intentional or not, it makes quite a mess.

Which are you prepared to explain; clearing the field due to a legitimate safety concern, or cleaning up a possible accident scene YOU IGNORED.

As long as the Goodyear Blimp stays up where it belongs, I'm not worried, but if it decides to hover directly over the field, or stands, I'm outta there.

Offline prab

• FAN REACTION: +37/-47
  • Wherever you go, there you are!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
Here is the Wisconsin policy, shared here with the permission of the WIAA (Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association) our governing body:

WIAA Football Officials:

We’ve received the following questions:

Q:  If a team has Drones above the field taking video, can officials ask for the drones to be behind the offensive team?  If a team does use a drone and a Football hits the drone—Penalty on team with the drone?

A: Under no circumstances should drones be above the playing surface once officials take control of the contest with players and nonplayers on the field (including warm ups).  Stop play and wait until the drone is no longer over the playing field.  The penalty would be delay of game on the team with the drone or unsportsmanlike if they've been warned or assessed a penalty already.  The drones should not interfere with the game.  As far as a WIAA drone policy, it's still a work in progress.  I don't believe that it's unreasonable that you provide guidelines as to what you are comfortable with for drone use during a game.  Officials and game management should be aware of any use and address it prior to the game.  It would be a good situation to address in your pre-game meeting with coaches.

Drone/UAV use at WIAA regular season sporting events:

It is a local decision.  You will want to check with your district's legal counsel and insurance provider to determine whether you wish to allow a drone to be used during a district event.  You'll also want to check with local authorities to make sure that local laws ,as well as all FAA regulations are being followed.

•  Contest administration should identify specific parameters and space for use (not allowed in-doors, or over spectators or players, not directly over the field/course/playing surface or over parking areas.)

•  Contest managers and contest officials are authorized to suspend play if necessary, to remove any UAV operating in prohibited areas, operating in an unsafe manner,  disrupting the contest, or deemed an annoyance. Contest officials may apply penalty by rule – such as delay of game, or unsportsmanlike acts for uncooperative and persisting unauthorized operation of UAV.

•  NOTE:  FAA Regulations provide that News media use of a UAV is not for hobby or recreational purposes, so FAA authorization is necessary. Media organizations may hire a company that already has a Section 333 exemption; that company would have to apply for and obtain a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA) to fly in a particular block of airspace. Media organizations also may apply for their own Section 333 exemptions.

The WIAA does not permit drones/UAVs to be used during WIAA tournament contests without written consent from the WIAA.

Additional information will be provided at the Area Meetings this fall.