Author Topic: Rules Book on the field?  (Read 18941 times)

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
Re: Rules Book on the field?
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 10:51:12 AM »
AB, seems like you keep getting bad crews. Perhaps its time to give another association a shot.  ;D

To AB: My crew would be happy to work one of your games - a Michigan/Georgia road trip!  The mileage and per diem might be a little prohibitive however....... eAt& eAt&

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »
I know on the old NFHS site more than one guy said they would flag me, a lowly assistant for producing a rules book on the sideline!

They probably meant flag YOU, not just any coach.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
Armbrister (and the crew from his game) was never supposed to be part of this story!

Well, there you go!

We have a coach in our area who constantly complains about "chop blocks", when he really means "cut blocks" (BBW).  Two entirely different fouls.

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
That's a nationwide disease, my friend.  pi1eOn

Offline Bob M.

• FAN REACTION: +98/-20
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2011, 08:08:35 PM »
I know on the old NFHS site more than one guy said they would flag me, a lowly assistant for producing a rules book on the sideline!

REPLY: Most of us who frequented the NFHS board could probably guess who that official might be. yEs:
Bob M.

JimD

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
I don't know how well the NFHS rule book is written, but in the NCAA perspective the problem I have with bringing the rule book to the sideline (the chain crew could easily keep it, that's not an issue) is the complexity of the rules. If I'm unsure about a ruling, I need to look at rule 2 (usually 2-3 separate places), one of rules 5-7, maybe rule 8, and most likely rule 10, too. This is not exactly trivial to do, and might take quite a long time.

And, even using this process, I often manage to get at least one of the questions in Rom's weekly quizzes wrong, so it's not like I would be 100% on the field under the heat of the moment.

You are exactly right.  We had a play this year, and the coach brought out a rule book to try and show us we were wrong.  However, there are also case plays, hours of rule discussions, follow ups from the state or NF that all go in to it too.  Looking at a line in a rule book doesn't always answer it.

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 07:29:47 AM »
In our association for BASEBALL...not football. The prevailing guidance is..if a coach brings a rule book on the field he has excused himself for the remainder of the game and the next game at the same level of competition. In fact we are TOLD to warn him not to bring the book on the field or he WILL be ejected. Football and baseball are alike in the fact that if you simply read the rule book you may not understand or interpret the rule correctly. Cross references, Case books, playing history and rule intent are all things that govern how we make a call.

If a coach is going to argue a rules interpretation he had better know the rules...

mbyron

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
IMO the purpose of the NFHS mechanic of having a book on the field is to afford the crew one additional tool for getting the call right.

It is NOT to be used to powwow with a coach, nor would I honor a coach's request to consult the book simply because he didn't understand the rule. We're not running a rules clinic.

Offline NWA_UMP

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 09:54:06 AM »
MB...I understand what you are saying. I don't know of any crews in my area that have a book on the field. That is not to say that they don't, I am just not aware.

I do see the value of having one to ensure a ruling, odd situation or enforcement is correct. I get comments from coaches and wonder at times if they have even read a rules book...the one I hear the most is he was outside the tackle box, that can't be grounding or it was un-catchable that can't be interference. 

Offline Curious

• FAN REACTION: +36/-50
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 10:45:01 AM »
In our association for BASEBALL...not football. The prevailing guidance is..if a coach brings a rule book on the field he has excused himself for the remainder of the game and the next game at the same level of competition. In fact we are TOLD to warn him not to bring the book on the field or he WILL be ejected. Football and baseball are alike in the fact that if you simply read the rule book you may not understand or interpret the rule correctly. Cross references, Case books, playing history and rule intent are all things that govern how we make a call.

If a coach is going to argue a rules interpretation he had better know the rules...

I completely agree that thorough rules knowledge requires much more than just reading a line in the book; but I don't understand why your "Association" would take such a hard line on a coach bringing one out regarding a confusing play.  Lord knows there are plenty of officials' errors - even on "simple" plays/enforcements.  I would respect a coach's effort here (if for no other reason than he knew where to look up the right reference....).

With or without the rule book, a coach has the right to call a TO to question a misapplication of the rules.  If he's wrong he's paid a price; if not, we'll correct a mistake (which ain't all bad).

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
I get comments from coaches and wonder at times if they have even read a rules book...the one I hear the most is he was outside the tackle box, that can't be grounding or it was un-catchable that can't be interference.

Sounds like they read one, just not the RIGHT one!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Sounds like they read one, just not the RIGHT one!

Nah, you can do that half asleep on the couch.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +116/-27
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »
I believe that if I were paying my rent & buying my groceries from my pay as a football coach, I'd damn sure know the rules forward & backward.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »
I believe that if I were paying my rent & buying my groceries from my pay as a football coach, I'd damn sure know the rules forward & backward.

You would think that with their livelihood on the line so to speak they would read and know the rule book...but they do not (Atl Blue and I am sure some others being the exception here). I have said here and other forums a lot of coaches get their rules knowledge as seen on TV. This will explain NWA UMPs post on out of the box and uncatchable pass.
I have talked to coaches who do read the rule book but they are looking for loopholes they can use to make up for not being good coaches or have less talented players.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx