Author Topic: Punt: Touchback, Safety, or TD?  (Read 25260 times)

Offline bigjohn

• FAN REACTION: +22/-36
Re: Punt: Touchback, Safety, or TD?
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:56 AM »
Well if you knew it was wrong and could be looked up and proven, that is what YOU should have done. You are just as guilty as the other 4 if you don't !!
You do have a rules book on the  field don't you? In Ohio the crew is required to have one!

JMHO
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:59:54 AM by bigjohn »

Wingman

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
I gave this example in my pregame: Team K's punt from his end zone is blocked and his rolling toward the sideline at team K's 7 yard line.  R38 dives for the ball at the 7 and forces, new force, the ball into K's end zone with K recovering or forces ball out of K end zone.  This should be a touchback because of a new force by R.  My crew said the ball must be "at rest" before you can have a new force.  My state association has also said that I'm wrong and the ball must be at rest beforce you can have new force.  The "at rest" principle is a NCAA rule and not a NFHS rule.  No doubt were going to make absolutely sure there's a new force before we rule touchback.   

Yes it is true that NFHS makes no statements about a loose ball at rest or not..  The only decision an official has to make and this is a judgemental decision, is would this loose ball have made it into the endzone or not and if he decides it would, then the original force has NOT be expended.
Is that too hard to do? well yes it could be, so take your time and figure it out before racking up that TD/TB or Safety.

jjseikel

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »
Our crew called it a TD because K recovered the muff in the end zone.  I suggested that we had blown the call because the kick never ended because possession had never been secured by either team before crossing the goal line.  It should have been placed at the 20 and R retain possession.  4 of the 5 man crew agreed with the on the field call.  A phone call was made to an expert, they also said TD was the correct call.

Holy crap!

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2011, 01:01:40 PM »
A phone call was made to an expert, they also said TD was the correct call.

You need better experts.

Wingman

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
The EXPERT needs to review rule two (definitions)  specifically 2-13-4a.

FORCE IS NOT A FACTOR
a) On kicks going into R's end zone, since these kicks are always a touchback regardless of who supplied the force