Author Topic: spotting the ball  (Read 880 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
spotting the ball
« on: January 30, 2023, 10:11:36 PM »
as a wing a big challenge for me is spotting the ball because I know we have to spot the ball where the ball was when the player's body other than his hand touches the ground.  A player diving is pretty easy because it is often where the ball contacts the ground but a lot of times the player is tackled and his knees touch the ground and then he falls forward.  Does anybody else struggle with this and do you have any tips as to how you handle it? 

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: spotting the ball
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 12:08:06 AM »
What you are referring to is known as double action, and our eyes can easily deceive us.  I've always been told the best way to learn how to recognize double action is just film study and snaps.  The film helps because you can slow mo it, giving you time to analyze and process what is happening, and you can train your eyes see it and process it correctly.

And real snaps, to see it and recognize it in real time.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 09:37:54 AM »
Put your focus on the runner's lower body instead of his upper body when he's being tackled.  This will let you see the knees better and you can "feel" where the ball is, even at the goal line.

Try and make a "snapshot" of the runner's body angle in your mind when you have him down to determine where the ball is.

I sometimes struggle with sideline spots.  A good technique someone taught me was to trace the path of the runner out of bounds and just run out like he did with your own body.  Keep note of the hand the runner is holding the ball as it usually is almost a yard difference.

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 01:16:30 PM »
thanks guys that is very helpful.                             

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:22:03 AM »
IMHO, the biggest gripes from coaches are.....

[color=red"THAT FLAG  ^flag SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THROWN..."
A CLOSE 2ND: "THAT'S A LOUSY SPOT  :puke: "
FOLLOWED BY : "^flag  ^flag FLAG SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN.  :!#"
Forward progress is easy to pick up on video. Stay focused.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 07:40:56 PM »
IMHO, the biggest gripes from coaches are.....

[color=red"THAT FLAG  ^flag SHOULDN'T HAVE BEEN THROWN..."
A CLOSE 2ND: "THAT'S A LOUSY SPOT  :puke: "
FOLLOWED BY : "^flag  ^flag FLAG SHOULD HAVE BEEN THROWN.  :!#"
Forward progress is easy to pick up on video. Stay focused.

Thankful there are those among us whose sweet & gentle mothers taught us their "look", (that could immediately suck all air out of a 20'circle), in which we might be standing, without making a sound.  Amazingly such a "look" can often (usually) delay any need for harsher penalty, while effectively  preventing similar repetitions from happening. 

Of course, should such inappropriate behavior continue, a flag can still serve as a useful deterrent.